Dtv channels

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 17, 2004 4:48:58 AM

This question are to Those that have directv. My friend recently got a hdtv
projector tv with the E86 directv/hdtv reciever. He does not get his local
channels because he gets excellent reception with his OTA, so he did not buy
directv's offer for his local channels. But when he looks at his guide on tv ,
he sees and gets 4-1, 2-1, 5-1, 12-1,13-1 and a few others..so my ? is, does
this come normally with directv, and if so, then why would they make an offer
to give him all his local channels for an extra $5 per month?

More about : dtv channels

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:48:59 AM

He is receiving his over the air antenna digital channels which come in
at 4-1 , 2-1, etc. Directv is trying to make extra money off of him by
offering the standard definition channels via satellite as well.

With Dish the standard satellite channels take up less on the hard
drive than the true digital ota channels. With only 25 hours of high
definition capability it would go very fast if I recorded all the
programming in highdef or true digital ota signal on my 921 dvr. So by
using the standard def channels provided by satellite I can record 2
channels of sat programming at a time and it takes up less room on the
hard drive and I can record like 180 hours in standard definition.
That would be a good thing to have if your buddy has a hard drive dvr
recorder. IF not then he doesn't need the sat locals.

--
MikeD-C05
July 17, 2004 6:05:33 AM

"Harri85274" <harri85274@aol.com> wrote in message
> This question are to Those that have directv. My friend recently got a
hdtv
> projector tv with the E86 directv/hdtv reciever. He does not get his local
> channels because he gets excellent reception with his OTA, so he did not
buy
> directv's offer for his local channels. But when he looks at his guide on
tv ,
> he sees and gets 4-1, 2-1, 5-1, 12-1,13-1 and a few others..so my ? is,
does
> this come normally with directv, and if so, then why would they make an
offer
> to give him all his local channels for an extra $5 per month?

Such channels are OTA digital. D*'s local channel offer is important for
those who can't get OTA locals, usually because they have a basic receiver.
The D* locals are not HD except for CBS in NY and LA which are also
available whereever CBS owns and operates the local station.

Pat
July 17, 2004 2:10:55 PM

Greywolf wrote:

> Such channels are OTA digital. D*'s local channel offer is important for
> those who can't get OTA locals, usually because they have a basic receiver.
> The D* locals are not HD except for CBS in NY and LA which are also
> available whereever CBS owns and operates the local station.

What, pray tell, is D*. I know what E* and P* stand for.

Matthew
July 17, 2004 6:14:48 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <mlm@mlmartin.com> wrote in message
> Greywolf wrote:
>

> > Such channels are OTA digital. D*'s local channel offer is important for
> > those who can't get OTA locals, usually because they have a basic
receiver.
> > The D* locals are not HD except for CBS in NY and LA which are also
> > available whereever CBS owns and operates the local station.
>
> What, pray tell, is D*. I know what E* and P* stand for.
>
> Matthew

I got used to using D* for DirecTV, E* for Echostar/Dish, and DTV for
digital TV from spending most of my online time at AVSForum.

Pat
!