VPN connection problem

I have Nortel's Contivity to connect with work via VPN.
It works with my XP laptop but not with my W2K desktop.
Both machines work initially as they proceed through the
steps of resolving the host name, connecting to the host,
and checking the configuration with the host, but after
the step of "Checking for banner text" with the host, the
W2K machine waits for 15 seconds and returns the
error: "The secure Contivity connection has been lost."
With the XP laptop, a pop-up window appears and you click
OK to the message and the process is complete.

I have downloaded all of the MS updates for my W2K, but I
am hoping there is still something else I can do to make
it work.

Are any other Win 2000 computers having problems?

I would probably look for Nortel tech support areas and groups.