calc.exe

can anyone help. I have calc.exe repeatadly ececuting. I
have tried everything I know to remove this virus.
Symantec Norton does not remove. I have disabled system
restore and run total system scan to no avail. I have
tried starting in safe mode and running hijack,
spysweeper, a squared, norton anti virus but its still
there. I am getting ready to reformat hard drive if it
goes on. Program can execute 100 times withing seconds
and makes it impossible to use the PC.

Sounds like a script is executing it. check the registry under

Also check MSConfig for anything that may be launchin it ( batch files,
scripts etc .bat, .cmd, .js, .vbs )

Look in TaskMgr for any processes that don't look familiar.

Additionally, you may want to rename calc.exe to calc.org. This may hinder
whatever is launching it.

Dusty Harper
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"bucksmann" <bucksmannuk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help. I have calc.exe repeatadly ececuting. I
> have tried everything I know to remove this virus.
> Symantec Norton does not remove. I have disabled system
> restore and run total system scan to no avail. I have
> tried starting in safe mode and running hijack,
> spysweeper, a squared, norton anti virus but its still
> there. I am getting ready to reformat hard drive if it
> goes on. Program can execute 100 times withing seconds
> and makes it impossible to use the PC.

I would try a second opinion virus scan by going to
http://housecall.antivirus.com Filemon from www.sysinternals.com may also
be useful.

Also, see here:

http://www.securityadmin.info/faq.asp#startup
http://www.securityadmin.info/faq.asp#hacked
http://www.securityadmin.info/faq.asp#harden

"bucksmann" <bucksmannuk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help. I have calc.exe repeatadly ececuting. I
> have tried everything I know to remove this virus.
> Symantec Norton does not remove. I have disabled system
> restore and run total system scan to no avail. I have
> tried starting in safe mode and running hijack,
> spysweeper, a squared, norton anti virus but its still
> there. I am getting ready to reformat hard drive if it
> goes on. Program can execute 100 times withing seconds
> and makes it impossible to use the PC.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if you have one of those fancy ms keyboards, check to see that you haven't
spilled a soda on the calc button and that it isn't stuck.

"bucksmann" <bucksmannuk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help. I have calc.exe repeatadly ececuting. I
> have tried everything I know to remove this virus.
> Symantec Norton does not remove. I have disabled system
> restore and run total system scan to no avail. I have
> tried starting in safe mode and running hijack,
> spysweeper, a squared, norton anti virus but its still
> there. I am getting ready to reformat hard drive if it
> goes on. Program can execute 100 times withing seconds
> and makes it impossible to use the PC.

Were you able to identify the virus? Make sure that your Norton definitions are up to
date via Live Update. If so search Google for a removal tool for that particular
virus. Trend Micro has a free tool called sysclean that you can download and try at
the links below that detects and removes many common malwares. You need to download
the executable and the definitions file to the same folder to execute them from. ---
Steve

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp -- download sysclean package
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp -- download lpt168.zip [as of
09/04/04]