Q: Automatic Logon (Win 2003 ): How Do I Connect To Consol..

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Dear Friends,

I have a problem that I hope someone has the answer to.

I setup my Windows 2003 server to use Automatic Logon for my user
account (e.g. if the server reboots, my user account automatically
logs into the console and executes a WSH script that notifies me the
server bounced itself).

Here's the problem. I often connect to this server using RDC
(Remote Desktop Connection).

When I RDC into the server with my user account, I do not see my
WSH script running on the desktop. However, if I launch Task Manager,
I do see my script running as one of the processes.

I went into Windows Terminal Manager and realized that Automatic
Logon was running my WSH script under the "Console" session.

When I connect using RDC, I am under a separate session. I tried
connecting to the "Console" session but am unable to.

QUESTION: Is there a way to connect to the box using RDC and then
enter the "Console" session so I can see my WSH script running?

Looking forward to some innovative solutions!

Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Hello,

Here's the answer:

http://www.ilopia.com/FAQ/FAQ.aspx?id=23

Can I connect to the console session remotly?

Yes! If you use the Windows Server 2003 client you can write <SERVERNAME>
/console in the computer name box.

If you are using the Windows XP Remote Desktop client you will have to start
the Remote Desktop client from a command prompt by writing mstsc /console
/v:servername. Where mstsc is located depends on where you installed it, but
it's usually in "%programfiles%/remote desktop" or "%systemroot%/system32"

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

"Mike" <mpenter2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear Friends,
>
> I have a problem that I hope someone has the answer to.
>
> I setup my Windows 2003 server to use Automatic Logon for my user
> account (e.g. if the server reboots, my user account automatically
> logs into the console and executes a WSH script that notifies me the
> server bounced itself).
>
> Here's the problem. I often connect to this server using RDC
> (Remote Desktop Connection).
>
> When I RDC into the server with my user account, I do not see my
> WSH script running on the desktop. However, if I launch Task Manager,
> I do see my script running as one of the processes.
>
> I went into Windows Terminal Manager and realized that Automatic
> Logon was running my WSH script under the "Console" session.
>
> When I connect using RDC, I am under a separate session. I tried
> connecting to the "Console" session but am unable to.
>
> QUESTION: Is there a way to connect to the box using RDC and then
> enter the "Console" session so I can see my WSH script running?
>
> Looking forward to some innovative solutions!
>
> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Is that the sole purpose of the automatic logon? If so why not add the
script to;

Using the Group policy editor
%windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
Computer Config\Windows Settings\Scripts\Startup/Shutdown

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]