Do all HDTV's display DVD's in progressive

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 16, 2004 10:40:25 PM

If I have an HDTV that displays only 1080i, and I play a DVD movie, is
it shown in progressive scan? In other words, will I benefit from a
progressive scan DVD player, or do I need a tv that displays
progressive scan also. Also, on a normal SDTV, if I show a DVD movie,
am I only seeing it in 480 line resolution?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:42:34 AM

CGott wrote:

> If I have an HDTV that displays only 1080i, and I play a DVD movie, is
> it shown in progressive scan? In other words, will I benefit from a
> progressive scan DVD player, or do I need a tv that displays
> progressive scan also. Also, on a normal SDTV, if I show a DVD movie,
> am I only seeing it in 480 line resolution?

All HDTVs have a 480p (progressive) screen mode called ED.. (Not HD)..

Your DVD movie at best resolution is 480p wide. p=progressive

Your DVD player is either 480i or 480p resolution....
IF your DVD player is progressive, it can convert 480i to 480p...

A HDTV has the HD Formats 1080i and/or 720p... (better than any
DVD)..

A HDTV can easily convert a DVD (disk) from 480i to 480p...
and this happens when your DVD player is not Progressive.

In addition a HDTV tries to shows a 480p DVD on HD
as a screen upconvert using scalers and line doublers..
It can not make the detail better than 480p...
but does add more 'filler' pixels to fill out the HDTV screen..

And really you're DVD is still at 480p HDTV resolution...

There are no HD-DVDs on the market yet with a 'standard' format...
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:50:14 AM

CGott wrote:

> If I have an HDTV that displays only 1080i, and I play a DVD movie, is
> it shown in progressive scan? In other words, will I benefit from a
> progressive scan DVD player, or do I need a tv that displays
> progressive scan also.

480p is the best DVD SCreen resolution for a HDTV using component
cable..

Also, on a normal SDTV, if I show a DVD movie,
> am I only seeing it in 480 line resolution?

480i is the best DVD Screen resolution for an Analog TV using S-Video
Cable.
July 17, 2004 6:32:43 AM

I have a year old panasonic dvd player in the living room connected to
a new sony hdtv set. I had to open the panasonic player to set if for
progressive scan. Its connected using the component cables.
In another room I have a 20" Std. Panasonic TV. I noticed it had a
component input. I bought a Sony DVD player and Wow what a quality
picture. I think the Sony is called interlace. I know to get the true
interlace I would have to have a HD connected to the DVD player..
hdtvfan

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:42:34 -0500, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>CGott wrote:
>>
>> If I have an HDTV that displays only 1080i, and I play a DVD movie, is
>> it shown in progressive scan? In other words, will I benefit from a
>> progressive scan DVD player, or do I need a tv that displays
>> progressive scan also. Also, on a normal SDTV, if I show a DVD movie,
>> am I only seeing it in 480 line resolution?
>

> All HDTVs have a 480p (progressive) screen mode called ED.. (Not HD)..
>
> Your DVD movie at best resolution is 480p wide. p=progressive
>
> Your DVD player is either 480i or 480p resolution....
> IF your DVD player is progressive, it can convert 480i to 480p...
>
> A HDTV has the HD Formats 1080i and/or 720p... (better than any
>DVD)..
>
> A HDTV can easily convert a DVD (disk) from 480i to 480p...
> and this happens when your DVD player is not Progressive.
>
> In addition a HDTV tries to shows a 480p DVD on HD
> as a screen upconvert using scalers and line doublers..
> It can not make the detail better than 480p...
> but does add more 'filler' pixels to fill out the HDTV screen..
>
> And really you're DVD is still at 480p HDTV resolution...
>
> There are no HD-DVDs on the market yet with a 'standard' format...
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:31:38 PM

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> All HDTVs have a 480p (progressive) screen mode called ED.. (Not HD)..

Some, not all. All HDTVs should be able to accept 480i or p input, but how
they actually display it is a different matter.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:31:39 PM

"CGott" <curtgottler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I have an HDTV that displays only 1080i, and I play a DVD movie, is
> it shown in progressive scan?

No, since your HDTV is incapable of displaying progressive scan. (UNLESS it
also has a 480p mode. In that case, it may switch the scanning pattern to
480p, and then you will have progressive. But I don't know whether that
would look better than converting it to 1080i -- often the upconversion
smooths out some roughness in the image, such as eliminating visible
scanlines, which may have a better result.)

> In other words, will I benefit from a
> progressive scan DVD player, or do I need a tv that displays
> progressive scan also.

You really need a progressive scan display to get the primary benefit from a
progressive player. Also, most HDTVs seem to have their own cinema-mode
de-interlacing (which does the same thing as a progressive-scan DVD player).
But even with an interlaced screen there could be some benefit, as the TV
might do a better job of upconverting from the full progressive frame than
from individual fields.

> Also, on a normal SDTV, if I show a DVD movie,
> am I only seeing it in 480 line resolution?

Of course. Even on a HDTV, there are still only 480 lines of resolution,
since that's all the information that's on the DVD.
!