Search function - home drive

Partitioned HDD has C: (boot drive) and D: (data drive) - no probs.

In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:)". It's
inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:

Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?

Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.
26 answers Last reply
More about search function home drive

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:26:00 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Partitioned HDD has C: (boot drive) and D: (data drive) - no probs.
    >
    > In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:)". It's
    > inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:
    >
    > Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?
    >
    > Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.

    Someone may have an answer for fixing XP search. Meanwhile, you might want
    to check out an alternative search tool. It's free (I use their shareware
    version of the program) and can search text in all file types without
    messing around with the registry: Agent Ransack from www.mythicsoft.com

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:26:00 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Partitioned HDD has C: (boot drive) and D: (data drive) - no probs.
    >
    > In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:)". It's
    > inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:
    >
    > Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?
    >
    > Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.

    PS: For WinXP search: May want to try a "saved search" with C: as part of
    the criteria. Double click the icon for the saved search to launch XP's
    search tool with C: already filled in as the search criteria. That *should*
    work. From there, you should be able to adjust which files/folders to look
    for.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:26:00 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Partitioned HDD has C: (boot drive) and D: (data drive) - no probs.
    >
    > In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:)". It's
    > inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:
    >
    > Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?
    >
    > Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.

    Well, here I am again. Try a shortcut to the C: drive. Right click on it
    and you should see Search as an option. Launching will put C: in as the
    drive to be searched. Just another workaround but will do what you want.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon, the "shortcut to C:" works just fine. Thank you! (the aged brain
    cells should have remembered this)

    I'm using this now, but would prefer a "registry" solution (I'm guessing
    it's in there, somewhere) 'cos that's another desktop item on a fairly full
    screen.

    As always, you're helpful (and speedy!)

    Thanks again, Len.

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:07:15 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Sharon, the "shortcut to C:" works just fine. Thank you! (the aged brain
    > cells should have remembered this)

    Great!

    > I'm using this now, but would prefer a "registry" solution (I'm guessing
    > it's in there, somewhere) 'cos that's another desktop item on a fairly full
    > screen.

    Figured that's what you were after. At least this will work until then. If
    you use the QuickLaunch toolbar, dropping the shortcut there might make it
    more convenient than on the desktop?

    > As always, you're helpful (and speedy!)
    >
    > Thanks again, Len.

    You're welcome. Sorry for the multiple posts. Had a fussy baby that needed
    tending here (nephew) and clicked "Send" faster than I should have.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    As to the fairly full desktop, I organize desktop icons into folders.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Sharon, the "shortcut to C:" works just fine. Thank you! (the aged brain
    > cells should have remembered this)
    >
    > I'm using this now, but would prefer a "registry" solution (I'm guessing
    > it's in there, somewhere) 'cos that's another desktop item on a fairly
    > full screen.
    >
    > As always, you're helpful (and speedy!)
    >
    > Thanks again, Len.
    >
    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:26:00 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Partitioned HDD has C: (boot drive) and D: (data drive) - no probs.
    >>>
    >>> In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:)". It's
    >>> inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:
    >>>
    >>> Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.
    >>
    >> Well, here I am again. Try a shortcut to the C: drive. Right click on it
    >> and you should see Search as an option. Launching will put C: in as the
    >> drive to be searched. Just another workaround but will do what you want.
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each folder -
    nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to do. Desktop is
    currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder there is "Unused
    Desktop Icons" (which is empty).

    Thanks, Colin.

    Yabbadoo wrote:
    > Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each folder -
    > nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to do. Desktop is
    > currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder there is "Unused
    > Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >
    > Thanks, Colin.

    >>As to the fairly full desktop, I organize desktop icons into folders.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    >>(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    >>"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Sharon, the "shortcut to C:" works just fine. Thank you! (the aged brain
    >>>cells should have remembered this)
    >>>
    >>>I'm using this now, but would prefer a "registry" solution (I'm guessing
    >>>it's in there, somewhere) 'cos that's another desktop item on a fairly
    >>>full screen.
    >>>
    >>>As always, you're helpful (and speedy!)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again, Len.
    >>>
    >>>"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

    There's always higher resolution :-)

    gls858

    Right click on the desktop and choose New/Folder and make up a category like
    Pending Work or Media Players or Games or Utilities and then drag and drop
    the icons into the folders. Very easy. When the first category occurs to
    you, make the first folder. After a while things will look a little better.

    > Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each folder -
    > nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to do. Desktop
    > is currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder there is "Unused
    > Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >
    > Thanks, Colin.

    >> As to the fairly full desktop, I organize desktop icons into folders.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sharon, the "shortcut to C:" works just fine. Thank you! (the aged brain
    >>> cells should have remembered this)
    >>>
    >>> I'm using this now, but would prefer a "registry" solution (I'm guessing
    >>> it's in there, somewhere) 'cos that's another desktop item on a fairly
    >>> full screen.
    >>>
    >>> As always, you're helpful (and speedy!)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again, Len.
    >>>
    >>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

    I'm at 1280 x (whatever) and my icons would fill the screen without a dozen
    or so folders, some of which have subfolders. My desktop is both my toolkit
    and my temp work area. It's a little like the back of the freezer, if you
    get the picture.

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yabbadoo wrote:
    >> Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each
    >> folder - nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to
    >> do. Desktop is currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder
    >> there is "Unused Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >>
    >> Thanks, Colin.
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>As to the fairly full desktop, I organize desktop icons into folders.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    >>>(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    >>>"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

    > There's always higher resolution :-)
    >
    > gls858

    By the way, a higher resolution isn't quite the answer. The way to know if
    you have too many icons on the desktop is to go into Safe Mode. That is
    where you might have a problem if you are trying to troubleshoot. If you
    can't see some of your icons (likely in your case), you may want to
    organize.

    > I'm at 1280 x (whatever) and my icons would fill the screen without a
    > dozen or so folders, some of which have subfolders. My desktop is both my
    > toolkit and my temp work area. It's a little like the back of the
    > freezer, if you get the picture.

    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yabbadoo wrote:
    >>> Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each
    >>> folder - nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to
    >>> do. Desktop is currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder
    >>> there is "Unused Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Colin.
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    >> There's always higher resolution :-)
    >>
    >> gls858

    Yes Colin, I know how, it's just lethargy - don't (quite) need to do it
    right now, but soon ....
    ..
    Re the comment elsewhere in this thread - I have TFT, set at native
    resolution (1024 x 768) and 16 bit colour.
    I'd prefer 800 x 600 but that means TFT emulation and poor display. Being
    fairly colour-blind anyway (did you know, 48% of males are red/green
    colourblind to a degree, versus only 2% female) - this colour depth
    increases pc performance (refresh rate).

    Re - colour-blindness - WHY don't site designers know this fact? I will NOT
    use sites which have dark backgrounds and red/orange/blue text, for a very
    simple reason - I cannot read the text! Similarly, I've never contemplated
    buying any program which for reasons unknown has dark backgrounds and
    therefore (to me) fuzzy images - fuzzy because (with my colour vision) there
    are no clear lines of objects. I emphasise - I am NOT blind, I drive, have
    no probs with traffic or brake lights, and enjoy my 16 bit colour display.

    Sinceely, Len.
    ..
    > Right click on the desktop and choose New/Folder and make up a category
    > like Pending Work or Media Players or Games or Utilities and then drag and
    > drop the icons into the folders. Very easy. When the first category
    > occurs to you, make the first folder. After a while things will look a
    > little better.

    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each
    >> folder - nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to
    >> do. Desktop is currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder
    >> there is "Unused Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >>
    >> Thanks, Colin.
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> As to the fairly full desktop, I organize desktop icons into folders.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

    I am sorry so many sites are not more thoughtfully designed. Perhaps when
    Avalon debuts (probably in as little as 18 months) you will have more ways
    to deal with website content and design as a consumer.

    See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/pillars/avalon/default.aspx.
    My understanding is that Avalon will be retrofitted to XP as well as being
    available in Longhorn (Windows 2006).

    > Yes Colin, I know how, it's just lethargy - don't (quite) need to do it
    > right now, but soon ....
    > .
    > Re the comment elsewhere in this thread - I have TFT, set at native
    > resolution (1024 x 768) and 16 bit colour.
    > I'd prefer 800 x 600 but that means TFT emulation and poor display. Being
    > fairly colour-blind anyway (did you know, 48% of males are red/green
    > colourblind to a degree, versus only 2% female) - this colour depth
    > increases pc performance (refresh rate).
    >
    > Re - colour-blindness - WHY don't site designers know this fact? I will
    > NOT use sites which have dark backgrounds and red/orange/blue text, for a
    > very simple reason - I cannot read the text! Similarly, I've never
    > contemplated buying any program which for reasons unknown has dark
    > backgrounds and therefore (to me) fuzzy images - fuzzy because (with my
    > colour vision) there are no clear lines of objects. I emphasise - I am
    > NOT blind, I drive, have no probs with traffic or brake lights, and enjoy
    > my 16 bit colour display.
    >
    > Sinceely, Len.
    > .
    >> Right click on the desktop and choose New/Folder and make up a category
    >> like Pending Work or Media Players or Games or Utilities and then drag
    >> and drop the icons into the folders. Very easy. When the first category
    >> occurs to you, make the first folder. After a while things will look a
    >> little better.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >>> Had thought of that, but then I'd have to remember what's in each
    >>> folder - nevertheless if push comes to shove, that's what I'll have to
    >>> do. Desktop is currently 2/3rds full, mainly alpha order. One folder
    >>> there is "Unused Desktop Icons" (which is empty).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Colin.
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    No apology necessary, Colin - just making the point that us colour-blind
    males are actively discriminated against (and web-designers should consider
    the problem at design stage).
    Sincerely, Len
    >I am sorry so many sites are not more thoughtfully designed. Perhaps when
    >Avalon debuts (probably in as little as 18 months) you will have more ways
    >to deal with website content and design as a consumer.
    >
    > See:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/understanding/pillars/avalon/default.aspx.
    > My understanding is that Avalon will be retrofitted to XP as well as being
    > available in Longhorn (Windows 2006).

    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes Colin, I know how, it's just lethargy - don't (quite) need to do it
    >> right now, but soon ....
    >> .
    >> Re the comment elsewhere in this thread - I have TFT, set at native
    >> resolution (1024 x 768) and 16 bit colour.
    >> I'd prefer 800 x 600 but that means TFT emulation and poor display. Being
    >> fairly colour-blind anyway (did you know, 48% of males are red/green
    >> colourblind to a degree, versus only 2% female) - this colour depth
    >> increases pc performance (refresh rate).
    >>
    >> Re - colour-blindness - WHY don't site designers know this fact? I will
    >> NOT use sites which have dark backgrounds and red/orange/blue text, for a
    >> very simple reason - I cannot read the text! Similarly, I've never
    >> contemplated buying any program which for reasons unknown has dark
    >> backgrounds and therefore (to me) fuzzy images - fuzzy because (with my
    >> colour vision) there are no clear lines of objects. I emphasise - I am
    >> NOT blind, I drive, have no probs with traffic or brake lights, and enjoy
    >> my 16 bit colour display.
    >>
    >> Sinceely, Len.
    >> .
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Right click on the desktop and choose New/Folder and make up a category
    >>> like Pending Work or Media Players or Games or Utilities and then drag
    >>> and drop the icons into the folders. Very easy. When the first
    >>> category occurs to you, make the first folder. After a while things
    >>> will look a little better.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

    Salut/Hi Colin

    le/on Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:49:26 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

    >I am sorry so many sites are not more thoughtfully designed. Perhaps when
    >Avalon debuts (probably in as little as 18 months) you will have more ways
    >to deal with website content and design as a consumer.

    Actually, Colin, this IS quite a serious problem. Though I'd certainly not
    blame you for it. I'm one of the very common red/green impaired men. The
    mania for designers - not just web site, but generally - to put dark red and
    dark green together, creates really quite a serious problem. As Yabbadoo
    said, I can see red and green, as in traffic lights etc, I'm not blind,
    simply have difficulty differentiating the two from each other at equal
    intensity, and especially in small blocks and thus simply can't read some
    texts.

    Drives me bloody bonkers.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    HALLELUJAH!! First time ever I've seen anyone agree it's a problem. BIG
    Thank you, Ian !!

    It's not only PC's, it's movies and TV too - a vogue for having red titles
    over a moving background - only time I can read is as they fade (a
    millisecond of black). My stats are medically correct - 48% male, 2% female
    are colour-blind to some degree, the majority being red/green (which
    includes all sympathetic colours, i.e. containing elements of red and
    green).
    On marriage, my wife quietly "lost" 2 pairs of my socks - yellow and blue
    pairs, I thought. Seems they were fluorescent green and purple, and were
    ghastly to everyone but me. (Was a long time ago ....) It also put paid to
    my wish to go into electronics - in the days of valves(tubes) with
    transistors just coming in, all resistors were colour-coded for value - end
    of THAT career!

    Thanks again, Len.

    In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:

    > in the days of
    > valves(tubes) with transistors just coming in, all resistors
    > were
    > colour-coded for value -

    Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    looked at a resistor.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.

    I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of everything. I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray on a lighter grey background).

    But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact details. Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to an individual.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:OJVsUOGIFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    > Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:
    >
    >> in the days of
    >> valves(tubes) with transistors just coming in, all resistors
    >> were
    >> colour-coded for value -
    >

    > Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    > looked at a resistor.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Tried "Accessability" options (high contrast) which are of limited help -
    (drawbacks outweight the advantage). These options are for the visually
    impaired, i.e poor sighted folk. I have 20/20 vision, with glasses.

    "Normal" folk often fall into the semantics trap. " Colour Blind" is NOT
    being blind (as in unable to see). Think more of camouflage - inability to
    identify certain elements within a scene because the element colours blend
    into the background.
    I can see objects against a contrasting background (birds in the sky, for
    example) but I can NOT tell you what colour(s) they are. Birds in trees -
    much more difficult (dark against dark).
    There is no cure, we are born with faulty cones (light receptors in the
    eye). "Colour" is reflected light - colour sight is the ability to
    identify/classify the wavelength of refelected light.
    Web designers are often artists first, designers second. Those leaning
    toward art tend to use colour palettes pleasing to them, without regard for
    practical ease of use of their site. It is this fact which needs broader
    distribution.

    Sincerely, Len.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.

    I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of everything.
    I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray on a
    lighter grey background).

    But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact details.
    Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to an
    individual.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    > Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:
    >
    >> in the days of
    >> valves(tubes) with transistors just coming in, all resistors
    >> were
    >> colour-coded for value -
    >

    > Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    > looked at a resistor.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Well

    1. Colour blind are genetic retards. Culling the flock is always a good idea.

    2. I can think of sooo many solutions to from overkill to minor tweaks. But I have to know the exact problem. Just knowing you shouuld be turned into glue isn't technical enough.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message news:z9_Vd.1439$IQ5.295@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
    > Tried "Accessability" options (high contrast) which are of limited help -
    > (drawbacks outweight the advantage). These options are for the visually
    > impaired, i.e poor sighted folk. I have 20/20 vision, with glasses.
    >
    > "Normal" folk often fall into the semantics trap. " Colour Blind" is NOT
    > being blind (as in unable to see). Think more of camouflage - inability to
    > identify certain elements within a scene because the element colours blend
    > into the background.
    > I can see objects against a contrasting background (birds in the sky, for
    > example) but I can NOT tell you what colour(s) they are. Birds in trees -
    > much more difficult (dark against dark).
    > There is no cure, we are born with faulty cones (light receptors in the
    > eye). "Colour" is reflected light - colour sight is the ability to
    > identify/classify the wavelength of refelected light.
    > Web designers are often artists first, designers second. Those leaning
    > toward art tend to use colour palettes pleasing to them, without regard for
    > practical ease of use of their site. It is this fact which needs broader
    > distribution.
    >
    > Sincerely, Len.
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.
    >
    > I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of everything.
    > I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray on a
    > lighter grey background).
    >
    > But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact details.
    > Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to an
    > individual.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    >> In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    >> Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> in the days of
    >>> valves(tubes) with transistors just coming in, all resistors
    >>> were
    >>> colour-coded for value -
    >>

    >> Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    >> looked at a resistor.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi sweety,

    le/on Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:31:09 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

    >1. Colour blind are genetic retards. Culling the flock is always a good idea.

    Incorrect. Genetic recessives, in fact. But if we're culling, I'd choose
    culling arrogant pillocks like you before choosing red/green blinds like me!

    As for passing colour tests, I fist discovered my colour blindness when
    applying to Sizewell nuclear power station as an assistant chemist. It was
    the first time I'd been tested. As I'd been working for several years as a
    chemist, much of which involved making calculations whose results were
    obtained from subtle colour changes (acidity, titration for calcium and
    magnesium etc), I had good evidence that my theoretical colour blindness was
    no problem for my work as a chemist. So I challenged the testers to match me
    against any of their lab asistants in a test using the most difficult
    analysis that was current, acidity in insulating oil, with a colour change
    from bluish brown to reddish brown. I succeeded easily and was offered the
    job.

    Tests indeed. Reminds me of the definition of IQ tests.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    That's pretty cold.

    Well

    1. Colour blind are genetic retards. Culling the flock is always a good
    idea.

    2. I can think of sooo many solutions to from overkill to minor tweaks. But
    I have to know the exact problem. Just knowing you shouuld be turned into
    glue isn't technical enough.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Tried "Accessability" options (high contrast) which are of limited help -
    > (drawbacks outweight the advantage). These options are for the visually
    > impaired, i.e poor sighted folk. I have 20/20 vision, with glasses.
    >
    > "Normal" folk often fall into the semantics trap. " Colour Blind" is NOT
    > being blind (as in unable to see). Think more of camouflage - inability
    > identify certain elements within a scene because the element colours blend
    > into the background.
    > I can see objects against a contrasting background (birds in the sky, for
    > example) but I can NOT tell you what colour(s) they are. Birds in trees -
    > much more difficult (dark against dark).
    > There is no cure, we are born with faulty cones (light receptors in the
    > eye). "Colour" is reflected light - colour sight is the ability to
    > identify/classify the wavelength of refelected light.
    > Web designers are often artists first, designers second. Those leaning
    > toward art tend to use colour palettes pleasing to them, without regard
    > for
    > practical ease of use of their site. It is this fact which needs broader
    > distribution.
    >
    > Sincerely, Len.
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.
    >
    > I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of everything.
    > I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray on
    > lighter grey background).
    >
    > But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact
    > details.
    > Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to
    > an
    > individual.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    >> In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    >> Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> in the days of
    >>> valves(tubes) with transistors just coming in, all resistors
    >>> were
    >>> colour-coded for value -
    >>

    >> Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    >> looked at a resistor.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    They never say the exact problem they have.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message news:ukiQZCSIFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > That's pretty cold.

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Well
    >
    > 1. Colour blind are genetic retards. Culling the flock is always a good
    > idea.
    >
    > 2. I can think of sooo many solutions to from overkill to minor tweaks. But
    > I have to know the exact problem. Just knowing you shouuld be turned into
    > glue isn't technical enough.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> Tried "Accessability" options (high contrast) which are of limited help -
    >> (drawbacks outweight the advantage). These options are for the visually
    >> impaired, i.e poor sighted folk. I have 20/20 vision, with glasses.
    >>
    >> "Normal" folk often fall into the semantics trap. " Colour Blind" is NOT
    >> being blind (as in unable to see). Think more of camouflage - inability
    >> identify certain elements within a scene because the element colours blend
    >> into the background.
    >> I can see objects against a contrasting background (birds in the sky, for
    >> example) but I can NOT tell you what colour(s) they are. Birds in trees -
    >> much more difficult (dark against dark).
    >> There is no cure, we are born with faulty cones (light receptors in the
    >> eye). "Colour" is reflected light - colour sight is the ability to
    >> identify/classify the wavelength of refelected light.
    >> Web designers are often artists first, designers second. Those leaning
    >> toward art tend to use colour palettes pleasing to them, without regard
    >> for
    >> practical ease of use of their site. It is this fact which needs broader
    >> distribution.
    >>
    >> Sincerely, Len.
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.
    >>
    >> I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of everything.
    >> I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray on
    >> lighter grey background).
    >>
    >> But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact
    >> details.
    >> Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to
    >> an
    >> individual.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    >>> Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:

    >>> Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    >>> looked at a resistor.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    And it will never change. Flaming just makes people defensive or angry and
    unwilling to learn new things.

    They never say the exact problem they have.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > That's pretty cold.

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Well
    >
    > 1. Colour blind are genetic retards. Culling the flock is always a good
    > idea.
    >
    > 2. I can think of sooo many solutions to from overkill to minor tweaks.
    > But
    > I have to know the exact problem. Just knowing you shouuld be turned into
    > glue isn't technical enough.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> Tried "Accessability" options (high contrast) which are of limited help -
    >> (drawbacks outweight the advantage). These options are for the visually
    >> impaired, i.e poor sighted folk. I have 20/20 vision, with glasses.
    >>
    >> "Normal" folk often fall into the semantics trap. " Colour Blind" is NOT
    >> being blind (as in unable to see). Think more of camouflage - inability
    >> identify certain elements within a scene because the element colours
    >> blend
    >> into the background.
    >> I can see objects against a contrasting background (birds in the sky, for
    >> example) but I can NOT tell you what colour(s) they are. Birds in
    >> trees -
    >> much more difficult (dark against dark).
    >> There is no cure, we are born with faulty cones (light receptors in the
    >> eye). "Colour" is reflected light - colour sight is the ability to
    >> identify/classify the wavelength of refelected light.
    >> Web designers are often artists first, designers second. Those leaning
    >> toward art tend to use colour palettes pleasing to them, without regard
    >> for
    >> practical ease of use of their site. It is this fact which needs
    >> broader
    >> distribution.
    >>
    >> Sincerely, Len.
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> If we didn't pass colour tests then we didn't get jobs.
    >>
    >> I press Ctrl + A to select the page that changes the colour of
    >> everything.
    >> I'm not colour blind but I still need sensible colours (like light gray
    >> on
    >> lighter grey background).
    >>
    >> But I can show you ways of doing this and that if I know the exact
    >> details.
    >> Plus Accessability can override graphic designers and can be taylored to
    >> an
    >> individual.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:9vOVd.49$5E4.40@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    >>> Yabbadoo <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> typed:

    >>> Is that no longer true? I guess it's been a long time since I
    >>> looked at a resistor.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Salut/Hi David Candy,

    le/on Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:59:27 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

    >They never say the exact problem they have.

    So try asking them in a civilised manner.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Once I agreed with you (and colin). But now MS has the ability to force structure on the web interface.

    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message news:ur2j219erkrlku2apd92k05pkl4q0qcs09@4ax.com...
    > Salut/Hi David Candy,
    >
    > le/on Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:59:27 +1100, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >>They never say the exact problem they have.
    >
    > So try asking them in a civilised manner.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Default Hard Drives Windows XP