Shout Out to all QX6700 owners!

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Hi Fellas

I've currently been in the process of building a new system and having a hell of a time finding a decent stable, OC Mb to go with the QX6700.

I read that 680i Mb's OC like poo, and the only 2 decent Mb's I can find is the ASUS striker - expensive, and the BX2, which I read has a lot of problems with it at the moment.

I would be very grateful if those of you who currently have a Quad core system up and running, could show me how well they are performing in terms of OC/Stability.

Thanks very much for your time

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi Fellas

I've currently been in the process of building a new system and having a hell of a time finding a decent stable, OC Mb to go with the QX6700.

I read that 680i Mb's OC like poo, and the only 2 decent Mb's I can find is the ASUS striker - expensive, and the BX2, which I read has a lot of problems with it at the moment.

I would be very grateful if those of you who currently have a Quad core system up and running, could show me how well they are performing in terms of OC/Stability.

Thanks very much for your time

For what you're paying for the chip you may as well spend the extra money on the Striker Extreme. To me any other board for that chip is like putting cheap rims on a brand new BMW.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I've read nothing bad about the Asus 650i based board...might be worth looking at...$140 or so maybe less by now...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Appreciate the very fast reponse. Does anyone have any opinions on the RD600?

Frm what I've seen you don't want the RD600. Anand did a review of the DFI board and suposedly ATi is havng trouble with the memory ctrlr and it comes out slower than both nVidia and Intel.

Zisme

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I have the chip and went withte evga 6801i MOBO...the striker was nto out at the time anymore...Seemed like asus recalled them...any way the striker was listign for 400.00 and the evga 680i mobo was only 250.00... I have it and have had no issues..and it is a decent MOBO to OC.

I have 2 8800 in sli and scored 37000 in 3dmark03 with NO OC.

and on 3dmark06 I scored 13500 NO OC....

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I've read nothing bad about the Asus 650i based board...might be worth looking at...$140 or so maybe less by now...

The only real flaw with that board is the cooling on the chipset. Northbridge has a passive heatsink, southbridge has...nothing. Its completely naked. IMO not the ideal setup for a chipset that tends to run hot to begin with.

It's a good cheap board, but you'd probably want to invest in some cooling for those chipsets if you go that route.

KlamathBFG

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Being honest I hit heat problems rather than stability problems.

I stopped clocking at 3.3Ghz as although the system was stable the temperatures were staying above 70. Even at 3.2Ghz temp are not exactly good.

At this moment I am actually running at 3Ghz well below stock voltage and it is really very stable, temps stay below 60 and I'm folding day and night.

Unless you have a seriously good cooler then I think you will hit temp problems before you hit motherboard capacity.

Oh one thing to note, I hit problems over-clocking the bus much beyond 3/3.1Ghz I don't think this is just my RAM it may be the extra load of having 4 processors using the FSB however the beautiful thing about the QX6700 is its multiplier unlocked just wacked it up to 11, back to default FSB and started checking stability (it was fine) and then started working on the FSB again.

Haven't read many posts on what is holding back clocking but if you could cool your processor enough it I suspect high FSB may be much more difficult to obtain on the QX6700.

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Being honest I hit heat problems rather than stability problems.

I stopped clocking at 3.3Ghz as although the system was stable the temperatures were staying above 70. Even at 3.2Ghz temp are not exactly good.

At this moment I am actually running at 3Ghz well below stock voltage and it is really very stable, temps stay below 60 and I'm folding day and night.

Unless you have a seriously good cooler then I think you will hit temp problems before you hit motherboard capacity.

Oh one thing to note, I hit problems over-clocking the bus much beyond 3/3.1Ghz I don't think this is just my RAM it may be the extra load of having 4 processors using the FSB however the beautiful thing about the QX6700 is its multiplier unlocked just wacked it up to 11, back to default FSB and started checking stability (it was fine) and then started working on the FSB again.

Haven't read many posts on what is holding back clocking but if you could cool your processor enough it I suspect high FSB may be much more difficult to obtain on the QX6700.

I did consider the EVGA 680i until I found the problems others were experiencing.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25339&whichpage=8

EVGA said that they have fixed it but have yet to make it public or to even say the type of fix it is - board revision or bios update.

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I'm using a Zalman 9500 cpu cooler with a vcore of 1.425 and my idle temps are 45c with load temps under 60c. You have some heat issues, especially if you're running a watercooled system on that puppy.

Habber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Well there are issues with the 680i (all manufacturers) boards but most have no problems at all. you shouldnt be worried about the EVGA topics in the forum cause they are mostly from people that dont understand how they should handle their boards.

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
There defiantly is a problem with the Mb. EVGA has even admitted there is. I read that the P24 bios should be released very soon but EVGA has being saying that all week. I guess you have to cut them some slack as its their first Mb.

The PW5 DH Deluxe looks real tempting at the moment, especially at £140.

I just found this as well which looks too good to be true. Have not even seen rigs with water-cooling reach that high.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132058

KlamathBFG

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I'm using a Zalman 9500 cpu cooler with a vcore of 1.425 and my idle temps are 45c with load temps under 60c. You have some heat issues, especially if you're running a watercooled system on that puppy.

Sounds stupid question but which heat monitor and what programs did you use for stressing, I may have been very unlucky but there have been a fair few other people with similar heat problems.

Also my water cooling setup isn't very good (just enough for me to build confidence in the tech), the 9700 was almost as good at cooling as my current liquid cooler.

KlamathBFG

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Oh one last note, there are a huge number of QX6700's on this site, can I try and persuade some of you to start folding.

A QX6700 does about 2K folding per day or about 60k pm, just a few extra QX6700's would be enough to push THG up into the top few teams and more importantly may just save lives.

Habber

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
There defiantly is a problem with the Mb. EVGA has even admitted there is. I read that the P24 bios should be released very soon but EVGA has being saying that all week. I guess you have to cut them some slack as its their first Mb.

OK then. first of all im running P24 which is available for download at their website and hes been for about 1 months now...

BIOS Version : P24 - EVGA Recommended Download
BIOS Date : 1/12/2007
BIOS File : NF68_P24.bin (filesize N/A)

second of all EVGA is NOT a newcomer to the board scene, the name might be new but the company that makes them are highly experienced.

anyways its a very small group of people that have these problems and most of them are with the earliest revisions. Its not EVGA that made a faulty product its the 680 chipset from Nvidia that was fucked from the beginning. ASUS had the same problems with corrupt data and all the other issues that where there.

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I've actually never owned a nvidia bassed Mb. Always stuck with Intel chipsets and truth is they have never caused me any real problems.

I just read that the new bios should be released tommorow. Curious to see how well it performs.

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I haven't run Prime95 yet, but I've run 3dmark06, Sandra Lite 2007, and I just finished playing FEAR last night for about 3 hours straight. The only problems I do have is with the modded drivers. They seem to be buggy at times, but they work awesome. I use speedfan and asus probe II to monitor cpu temps. Both are consistant and read within a degree of each other. One program that does stress my cpu and will put it above 60C is quickpar, when it's repairing binary files. I'll run Prime tonight for a few hours and see where I'm at. But 3.46GHZ is really nice. What I do want to ask is what multiplier are you using? I'm using an 11x multiplier with a 314mhz front side bus. And I adjusted the voltage down to where it was stable and gave me decent temps. One other thing, what kind of case are you using? What's your fan configuration, and where is your radiator in relation to the rest of the components?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Striker Extreme all the way

even the RD600 wouldnt OC at its full potential the QX6700.

650i's are not for OC

other options, eVGA? but, looks like you have money to burn so go for ASUS.

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Striker Extreme all the way

even the RD600 wouldnt OC at its full potential the QX6700.

650i's are not for OC

other options, eVGA? but, looks like you have money to burn so go for ASUS.

I would not go as far as saying I've got money to burn. The only reason why I have a QX6700 is becuase I caught it at good price off my friend, second hand for £350.

dalbert89

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the great reponse people. Out of curiosity, has anyone got a quad core system running with Vista? I also saw that the BX2 OC quite well.

mpjesse

Splendid
Thanks for the great reponse people. Out of curiosity, has anyone got a quad core system running with Vista? I also saw that the BX2 OC quite well.

That is my project 2-3 weeks from now.....

**mpjesse wipes his arse 3 weeks from now with JumpingJack's old system**

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I have vista as a dual boot with xp. Works fine with the overclocks through the bios. I haven't tried clockgen or AI Booster, yet. I'm waiting for nvidia to release sli drivers for the 7900's in Vista. My hope is that the SLI patch that I have will allow me to run my 7900's in SLI in Vista with a 975x board. We shall see.