cannot install xfi drivers with vista 32 bit

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
ok heres the problem:

I have an x-fi xtreme music sound card and like everybody else in the world im having problems getting it to work with vista. I got my onboard sound working fine(thats a 2 hour story) but thats besides the point. I currently have the onboard disabled and am trying to get my xfi to work. I tried installing the vista beta drivers from the website but it gives me an error message saying the device is not installed. So i go to the device manager and it sees the hardware, it just doesnt know what it is yet. I tried to manually install the drivers and that still did not work. I took the card out and put it back in hoping it might help but no luck. Im running out of ideas. I do know of one fix that is really risky but i dont want to do it because i might f*** up my computer.

anybody have similar problems who knows how to fix this?

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Try putting the sound card into a different PCI slot. I had a similar problem when trying to install my X-Fi and 8800 GTS... Vista didn't like having the X-Fi in the PCI slot next to the PCIe slot.

TheProfiler

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Same thing happened wit my old SB Live 24 bit (in XP). So I pluged it into different PCI slot and everything was fine. Weird, like...