NETBIOS-SSN Weird sessions

Dear all,

I've been detecting NETBIOS-SSN sessions between my laptop
and many others from my company, and wonder why these
connection take place since :
- I'm not opening the network neighbourhood wizard, nor
trying to access other computers' shares
- The connection last for less than a minute, and they are
inactive for the connection time minus 3 seconds
- No file is opened on the remote (target ?) machine

Is this symptomatic of a virus or worm on my laptop ?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Olivier
1 answer Last reply
More about netbios weird sessions

    Not necessarily as that would not be unusual particularly for traffic to domain
    controllers. A packet sniffer like Ethereal would give more detailed information on
    these sessions. Mapped drives can also cause a lot of this activity as can browse
    list activity which does not require you to access MY Network Places. Make sure you
    do a virus scan at least weekly with updated definitions. Generally a worm on your
    computer would generate tons of activity on the network often involving a lot of
    pinging and possibly generating failed logon attempts on other network computers for
    the administrator account. --- Steve

    "Olivier DALOY" <olivier.daloy@fr.ey.Com> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've been detecting NETBIOS-SSN sessions between my laptop
    > and many others from my company, and wonder why these
    > connection take place since :
    > - I'm not opening the network neighbourhood wizard, nor
    > trying to access other computers' shares
    > - The connection last for less than a minute, and they are
    > inactive for the connection time minus 3 seconds
    > - No file is opened on the remote (target ?) machine
    >
    > Is this symptomatic of a virus or worm on my laptop ?
    >
    > Thanks for your help and best regards,
    >
    > Olivier

Connection Netbios Windows