Password a single file

There is a single executable file on our workstations that we would like to
have password-protected regardless of whether the user that is currently
logged in is an administrator. What is the accepted way of forcing a user to
input a password before opening a single file without removing the user's
general administrator status?

~BenDilts( void );

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

there isn't one. an administrator could change anything on the machine that
prevents access. it is generally considered a bad practice for users to be
administrators... and even for administrators to use their administrator
account except when doing something that really needs it... i.e. an
administrator who is just checking their email, writing reports, documenting
proceedures, etc, should log in as a regular user for those activities.

"BeanDog" <BeanDog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is a single executable file on our workstations that we would like
> have password-protected regardless of whether the user that is currently
> logged in is an administrator. What is the accepted way of forcing a user
> input a password before opening a single file without removing the user's
> general administrator status?
>

> ~BenDilts( void );

There is no way to have the operating system prompt the user to access a file other
than access to their private key with strong protection if the file was EFS encrypted
but you can't realistically have that work for multiple users on a local non domain
computer for one file. Winzip can encrypt a zip file and require that a password be
entered in order to access a file or files in the .zip file which may or may not help
in your situation. Winzip can be tried for free. --- Steve

BeanDog wrote:
> There is a single executable file on our workstations that we would like to
> have password-protected regardless of whether the user that is currently
> logged in is an administrator. What is the accepted way of forcing a user to
> input a password before opening a single file without removing the user's
> general administrator status?

well there is maybe one, but not windows based. it has t be hardcoded in
the programm, bt you have to talk for the developers for doing that.

regards, enno

--
http://www.verbrennung.org

This message was send early in the morning.
Please don't blame me, if it makes no sense.