100% cpu utilization by msn.exe

dear all,

i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
generate its entries
in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
connect to DSL connection it starts again.

pls help me in this matter.
thanx
2 answers Last reply
More about utilization

    It may be a virus or parasite. Scan your computer with a virus scan program using the
    latest definitions and do the same with AdAware which is free. You may try booting
    into safe mode with networking to see if you can bypass the problem until you can
    download and hopefully fix the problem. However booting into safe mode with
    networking will bypass software firewalls if you are using one and if that is the
    case you can temporarily enable tcp/ip filtering for TCP only in the network adapter
    properties for tcp/ip under advanced/options and enable "permit only" and leave the
    list blank. The links below may be helpful. --- Steve

    http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet -- download AdAware
    here.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp -- free Sysclean malware detection and
    removal tool.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp -- pattern file for Sysclean - use
    the one for Windows.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx -- Microsoft security
    tips.

    "Arvind Chauhdary" <arvind2176651@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > dear all,
    >
    > i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
    > SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
    > connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
    > no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
    > the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
    > generate its entries
    > in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
    > 100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
    > even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
    > connect to DSL connection it starts again.
    >
    > pls help me in this matter.
    > thanx

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:41:28 -0700, "Arvind Chauhdary"
    <arvind2176651@yahoo.com> wrote in microsoft.public.win2000.security:

    >i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
    >SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
    >connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
    >no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
    >the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
    >generate its entries
    >in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
    >100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
    >even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
    >connect to DSL connection it starts again.

    Does these links help?
    <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100667>
    <http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=48433>
    <http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/m/msn_password_stealer.asp>?
    <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.alco.ab@mm.html>
    <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.slip@mm.html>
    <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.graybird.i.html>

    From your description it doesn't seem to be this:
    <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.flita.html>.

    Uninstall Kazaa and IRC. Get an anti-virus program and a firewall.

Connection Microsoft Windows