100% cpu utilization by msn.exe

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 8, 2004 5:41:28 AM

dear all,

i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
generate its entries
in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
connect to DSL connection it starts again.

pls help me in this matter.
thanx
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:13:16 PM

It may be a virus or parasite. Scan your computer with a virus scan program using the
latest definitions and do the same with AdAware which is free. You may try booting
into safe mode with networking to see if you can bypass the problem until you can
download and hopefully fix the problem. However booting into safe mode with
networking will bypass software firewalls if you are using one and if that is the
case you can temporarily enable tcp/ip filtering for TCP only in the network adapter
properties for tcp/ip under advanced/options and enable "permit only" and leave the
list blank. The links below may be helpful. --- Steve

http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=... -- download AdAware
here.
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp -- free Sysclean malware detection and
removal tool.
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp -- pattern file for Sysclean - use
the one for Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul... -- Microsoft security
tips.

"Arvind Chauhdary" <arvind2176651@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> dear all,
>
> i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
> SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
> connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
> no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
> the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
> generate its entries
> in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
> 100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
> even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
> connect to DSL connection it starts again.
>
> pls help me in this matter.
> thanx
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:41:34 AM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:41:28 -0700, "Arvind Chauhdary"
<arvind2176651@yahoo.com> wrote in microsoft.public.win2000.security:

>i have windows 2000 professional operating system with
>SP4. i installed office 2003 on my system. when ever i
>connect my pc to internet through LAN by gateway there is
>no problem, but as i connect my DSL dialup connection
>the "msn.exe" is created in c:\winnt\system32 folder and
>generate its entries
>in "HKLM\software\microsoft\curentversion\run" and start
>100% cpu utilization. i cleaned the registry so many times
>even delete the file from the same folder. but as i
>connect to DSL connection it starts again.

Does these links help?
<http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=descripti...;
<http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=48433&gt;
<http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/m/msn_password_steal...;?
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...;
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...;
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...;

From your description it doesn't seem to be this:
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...;.

Uninstall Kazaa and IRC. Get an anti-virus program and a firewall.