Account Login Errors

Suddenly, last night, I can not log in to my Windows 2000
server. When I try any valid ID and password - including
the Administrator - I get the standard error message
saying the system could not log me it and I should make
sure my caps lock is not on. What can I do???

If this is a domain computer, try logging in as local administrator also. If you
still can not logon then there is a free utility to reset the built in administrator
account for the computer at the link below.

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

I would be very suspicious about what is going on if there is no good reason why the
password was changed such as by another administrator or domain policy and would take
appropriate steps to examine the computer for compromise including viewing the
security log. See the link below for Microsoft security guidance for small
businesses. It is very easy for someone to gain administrator access to a computer
if they have physical access to it and are able to boot from floppy or cdrom
drive.--- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/hub.mspx