dual-core benefit for apps that see only 1 CPU

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
What is the benefit of a dual-core CPU if the application only sees one CPU?

well as far as gaming i have not seen any benefit.
i have 2 similar computer set-ups.
1 single core and 1 dualcore.

but a dualcore is the way to go, if you are planning to upgrade or build
a new computer, then try to get a dualcore.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
What is the benefit of a dual-core CPU if the application only sees one CPU?
Single core gaming you will see virtually no benefit :( , might even be slower, but if you have apps running in background, which most people have, there could be a reasonable performance increase :wink:

mpjesse

Splendid
LOL... congratulations! Your question made my signature.

Seriously, let's use some logic here. What do you THINK the benefit is? The answer is in your daft question.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The benefit for the application actually comes from the overall performance of the system. While the actual application will not run any faster because it can't utilise the second core, it will not lag behind due to CPU utilisation from other applications on your system. A good example is if you play games on the internet and you have ZoneAlarm Pro on the background. Try that on a single core system and monitor the CPU usage and you will see what i mean! hehe. On my dual core system i can run Azureus, ZoneAlarm and play a game on the net altogether without skipping a frame! ;)
Now if you connect on the internet without a firewall, even for simple web browsing... then you get what you deserve sooner or later! (viruses, trojans, etc etc...)