digital images on analog tv's

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 18, 2004 12:15:12 AM

I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog sony being superior to my
panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching directv. I was curious about why
the panny was handling the digital signal poorly.

Today I was in walmart, and they had their promo loop going in the
electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source. There
were two 20" (approx) tv's sitting side by side, hooked up the same way.
One was an analog tube tv, the other an lcd. The picture on the tube tv
was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good day . The lcd
displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color bleeding, ghosting,
artifacts and poor definition. It was really telling to see an analog and a
digital tv the same size and source side by side.

What's the deal? When I buy my next digital tv, how do I found out how it
will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's sony seems to deal
with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has the same exact tv as I
do, and his looks the same as mine. Has anyone seen a forum where this
phenomena is being discussed? Is there any tweak I can do to my panny to
make it look better? I've disabled the svm, and it didn't make any
difference. All my connections are with component cables.

Thanks, Allison

More about : digital images analog

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 12:25:39 AM

Allyb wrote:

> I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog sony being superior to my
> panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching directv. I was curious about why
> the panny was handling the digital signal poorly.
>
> Today I was in walmart, and they had their promo loop going in the
> electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source. There
> were two 20" (approx) tv's sitting side by side, hooked up the same way.
> One was an analog tube tv, the other an lcd. The picture on the tube tv
> was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good day . The lcd
> displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color bleeding, ghosting,
> artifacts and poor definition. It was really telling to see an analog and a
> digital tv the same size and source side by side.
>
> What's the deal? When I buy my next digital tv, how do I found out how it
> will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's sony seems to deal
> with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has the same exact tv as I
> do, and his looks the same as mine. Has anyone seen a forum where this
> phenomena is being discussed? Is there any tweak I can do to my panny to
> make it look better? I've disabled the svm, and it didn't make any
> difference. All my connections are with component cables.
>
> Thanks, Allison

Allison:

Your 'Title' Digital Images on an Analog TV may not
be what you are describing as a problem...

The Source of the Digital Picture is of importance!!

Generally speaking, running a 'pure' HDTV digital picture
thru a Set top box and doing a 1080i to
for 480i down convert generates a perfect Analog TV
picture... That's the best an Analog TV set can show!!

Running a 'pure' (source, editing, & transmission) HDTV
digital signal to a HDTV set usually generates a very good
to perfect HDTV picture on most any set...

Running an upconverted Analog signal (upconverted by HDTV)
into a HDTV digital TV set separates the Better HD
sets from the 'Lesser' HDTVs. Here is where both
pre buy comparison & quality of the internal HDTV guts
shows up as.... 'You get what you pay for'....

When it comes to HDTVs internal signal conversion firmware..
all HDTV sets seem to fall into different categories...

All HDTV sets can push a decent HDTV picture thru a HD digital
set quite well. Until Analog TV signals disappear (they
may never disappear from Cable or home video), the creation of
digital picture from an Analog signal will be of 'concern'...

I've heard Sony HDTVs cost more... But they have the good guts.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 1:36:19 AM

I looked far and wide untill I came across a Toshiba 57 "hd 16/9 wide
screen tv. This tv was set up at Sears with Dishnetwork. I watched
both standard def sat channels and hd sat channels and they looked
great either way. I tried a Mitsibishi a couple of years back and I
had a terrible experience with the faces breathing and moving while
watching satellite. So it definately depends on the tv. I highly
recommend Toshiba at least for Dishnetwork. I can't say about Directv.

I have my 921 run through my s-video to my dvd recorder ( before this
I had a 721 and it looked great as well ) and when I am in sd mode it
looks quite sharp and I run that picture to my computer room as well.
So I can make dvd copies of any movie I like. I also have the 921 run
by dvi and it makes all content look great. I think the key is this tv
upconverts all content on all connections to 1080i so it makes it look
good on all programs and sources. Cable and ota looks great on this tv
as well.

Of course I paid like 2400 .00 for this tv with hd tuner in May and now
I notice on their website ,they have dropped the price to like 1599.00
on sale at Bestbuy.com . It never fails I wait and wait and soon as I
pay out the money they drop the price. :mad:

But the tv is definately worth it for watching satellite tv. :D

--
MikeD-C05
July 18, 2004 4:45:07 AM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:25:39 -0500, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>Allyb wrote:
>>
>> I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog sony being superior to my
>> panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching directv. I was curious about why
>> the panny was handling the digital signal poorly.
>>
>> Today I was in walmart, and they had their promo loop going in the
>> electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source. There
>> were two 20" (approx) tv's sitting side by side, hooked up the same way.
>> One was an analog tube tv, the other an lcd. The picture on the tube tv
>> was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good day . The lcd
>> displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color bleeding, ghosting,
>> artifacts and poor definition. It was really telling to see an analog and a
>> digital tv the same size and source side by side.
>>
>> What's the deal? When I buy my next digital tv, how do I found out how it
>> will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's sony seems to deal
>> with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has the same exact tv as I
>> do, and his looks the same as mine. Has anyone seen a forum where this
>> phenomena is being discussed? Is there any tweak I can do to my panny to
>> make it look better? I've disabled the svm, and it didn't make any
>> difference. All my connections are with component cables.
>>
>> Thanks, Allison
>

> Allison:
>
> Your 'Title' Digital Images on an Analog TV may not
> be what you are describing as a problem...
>
> The Source of the Digital Picture is of importance!!
>
> Generally speaking, running a 'pure' HDTV digital picture
> thru a Set top box and doing a 1080i to
> for 480i down convert generates a perfect Analog TV
> picture... That's the best an Analog TV set can show!!
>

> Running a 'pure' (source, editing, & transmission) HDTV
> digital signal to a HDTV set usually generates a very good
> to perfect HDTV picture on most any set...
>
> Running an upconverted Analog signal (upconverted by HDTV)
> into a HDTV digital TV set separates the Better HD
> sets from the 'Lesser' HDTVs. Here is where both
> pre buy comparison & quality of the internal HDTV guts
> shows up as.... 'You get what you pay for'....
>
> When it comes to HDTVs internal signal conversion firmware..
> all HDTV sets seem to fall into different categories...
>
> All HDTV sets can push a decent HDTV picture thru a HD digital
> set quite well. Until Analog TV signals disappear (they
> may never disappear from Cable or home video), the creation of
> digital picture from an Analog signal will be of 'concern'...
>
> I've heard Sony HDTVs cost more... But they have the good guts.

Your right about the Sony. I just received a 960 a few weeks ago.
Talking Sony be sure to get the XBR series, that's their best chassis.

hdtvfan
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:07:59 AM

>I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog sony being superior to my
>panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching directv. I was curious about why
>the panny was handling the digital signal poorly.
>
>Today I was in walmart, and they had their promo loop going in the
>electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source. There
>were two 20" (approx) tv's sitting side by side, hooked up the same way.
>One was an analog tube tv, the other an lcd. The picture on the tube tv
>was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good day . The lcd
>displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color bleeding, ghosting,
>artifacts and poor definition. It was really telling to see an analog and a
>digital tv the same size and source side by side.
>
>What's the deal? When I buy my next digital tv, how do I found out how it
>will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's sony seems to deal
>with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has the same exact tv as I
>do, and his looks the same as mine. Has anyone seen a forum where this
>phenomena is being discussed? Is there any tweak I can do to my panny to
>make it look better? I've disabled the svm, and it didn't make any
>difference. All my connections are with component cables.
>
>Thanks, Allison

I am starting to wonder about the quality of alot of these HDTVs in showing
lower definition material. In Target today they had a Samsung HDTV hooked up to
a progressive DVD player playing a movie that looked horrible in detail whereas
on my old Daewoo analog TV the same DVD looks gorgeous. Then I changed
channels on the TV and it was picking up over the air digital TV with an
obviously good signal but once against lousy quality. Much worse than any
analoge TV I have owned. Not even close. I tried adjusting all the settings on
the TV and nothing improved the picture. I would definitely avoid those
smaller Samsungs.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 9:50:20 PM

Within these hallowed halls, nixjunk of <torrex6@cs.comnixjunk> added
the following to the collective conscience:
>> I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog Sony being
>> superior to my Panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching DirecTV. I
>> was curious about why the panny was handling the digital signal
>> poorly.
>>
>> Today I was in Wal-Mart, and they had their promo loop going in the
>> electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source.
>> There were two 20" (approx) TV's sitting side by side, hooked up the
>> same way. One was an analog tube TV, the other an lcd. The picture
>> on the tube TV was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good
>> day . The lcd displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color
>> bleeding, ghosting, artifacts and poor definition. It was really
>> telling to see an analog and a digital TV the same size and source
>> side by side.
>>
>> What's the deal? When I buy my next digital TV, how do I found out
>> how it will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's Sony
>> seems to deal with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has
>> the same exact TV as I do, and his looks the same as mine. Has
>> anyone seen a forum where this phenomena is being discussed? Is
>> there any tweak I can do to my panny to make it look better? I've
>> disabled the svm, and it didn't make any difference. All my
>> connections are with component cables.
>>
>> Thanks, Allison
>

> I am starting to wonder about the quality of alot of these HDTVs in
> showing lower definition material. In Target today they had a Samsung
> HDTV hooked up to a progressive DVD player playing a movie that
> looked horrible in detail whereas on my old Daewoo analog TV the same
> DVD looks gorgeous. Then I changed channels on the TV and it was
> picking up over the air digital TV with an obviously good signal but
> once against lousy quality. Much worse than any analog TV I have
> owned. Not even close. I tried adjusting all the settings on the TV
> and nothing improved the picture. I would definitely avoid those
> smaller Samsungs.

DAMN, was this a widescreen model (Samsung 26" Flat-Tube Widescreen HDTV -
Silver TX-P2670WH) because I would be uber pissed as I was planning to buy
it at $700. Even though I'd love to have an HDTV, I need one that shows
NTSC as good as or better than my current set. I have a lot of VHSs and LDs
I'd hate to have to watch on an analog set. Definitely a feature of HDTVs
that needs to be considered.

Actually, I'd like a set with 3:2 Pull Down Film to Video Frame Rate
Correction that would be displayed at 72fps, but that's me (YMMV).
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:07:48 PM

Sounds like your subject is the exact opposite of what you are talking
about.

====================
:
[...]
July 23, 2004 9:55:47 AM

Gee we must have been in the same walmart. I saw the same thing
tonight in our nearby wally store. I asked Mike the guy that works in
the Electronics department, what gives. He showed me the analog
outlet box with about 20 outlets. Looked like 16 were in use with
RG-6 coax.
He said he found two of the outlets that were bad. The flat LCD
screen that the picture looked so lousy he said was a bad cable from
the outlet box to the TV. Said he would replace it when he got time.

hdtvfan

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:07:48 -0700, "Richard C." <post-age
@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Sounds like your subject is the exact opposite of what you are talking
>about.
>
>====================
>"Allyb" <allyb@a1isp.net> wrote in message
>: I posted before about the picture on my 27" analog sony being superior
>to my
>: panasonic 47" digital rptv when watching directv. I was curious about
>why
>: the panny was handling the digital signal poorly.
>:
>: Today I was in walmart, and they had their promo loop going in the
>: electronics department, which I guess is from a satellite source.
>There
>: were two 20" (approx) tv's sitting side by side, hooked up the same
>way.
>: One was an analog tube tv, the other an lcd. The picture on the tube
>tv
>: was clear and crisp, and looked like cable on a good day . The lcd
>: displayed all the problems I noted in my panny, color bleeding,
>ghosting,
>: artifacts and poor definition. It was really telling to see an analog
>and a
>: digital tv the same size and source side by side.
>:
>: What's the deal? When I buy my next digital tv, how do I found out
>how it
>: will handle low def digital sources? My father in law's sony seems to
>deal
>: with it a lot better than mine. Another relative has the same exact
>tv as I
>: do, and his looks the same as mine. Has anyone seen a forum where
>this
>: phenomena is being discussed? Is there any tweak I can do to my panny
>: make it look better? I've disabled the svm, and it didn't make any
>: difference. All my connections are with component cables.
>:
>: Thanks, Allison
>:
>:

April 19, 2013 6:05:41 AM

I am not sure what will be the image quality if you want to view digital image in your analogue television. Why don't you buy a new television and install a digital aerial instead. Just do it and see the difference!
a b x TV
April 20, 2013 5:28:40 AM

James - Check the dates of these posts before you reply. You just answered a nearly 9 year old post.

-Wolf sends
!