Only domain admins can print or view web page

I am having some problems and I only recently put them
together. I have 2 servers at remote sites that will not
let non-domain admin users log onto any web sites, or
print to printers with the spooler enabled. If an admin
logs onto the web site it will allow the regular users to
view the page for a few mins. The work-around to the
printer issue is to set the print job to go directly to
the printer.

Please help. This is starting to cause me severe help
desk related headaches.

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about only domain admins print view page

    What do you mean that they can not logon to a website. Do these websites need a
    username and password? Has anything changed recently on those servers such as
    changing security policy, hotfix, or Internet Explorer settings?? What happens - any
    error messages?

    As far as the printer I would look in Event Viewer for any clues in application and
    system logs. Also enable auditing of logon events for success and failure, object
    access for failure, and privilege use for failure. After doing that any failures in
    the security log may give you more info. Also check the permissions to the printer,
    try restarting the print spooler service, and verify that the server service is
    running. I assume you already ran virus scan with current updates and parasite scan
    with something like AdAaware on those computers. --- Steve

    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having some problems and I only recently put them
    > together. I have 2 servers at remote sites that will not
    > let non-domain admin users log onto any web sites, or
    > print to printers with the spooler enabled. If an admin
    > logs onto the web site it will allow the regular users to
    > view the page for a few mins. The work-around to the
    > printer issue is to set the print job to go directly to
    > the printer.
    >
    > Please help. This is starting to cause me severe help
    > desk related headaches.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Thank you for your response. The printing issue happened
    right away from the time I built the servers. Like I said
    these are remote sites and I had a finite amount of time
    to get it working. I finally gave up and set it to print
    directly to the printer. The advantage is that there
    aren't that many users or printers at these sites so it
    didn't impact them that much. It kind of fell off the
    radar as a problem. The reason I remembered was that the
    web site problem had the same issue.

    Now as far as the web sites I can't determine when it
    started not working because it took months for users to
    report any issues. The nearest I can guess is SP4. The
    web site is OWA and I was focused on that until I created
    a test web site to see if it was Exchange or IIS. The
    behavior is the same on the test site. I need the users
    to log on using basic authentication. I've checked all
    the NTFS permissions and they are fine. The error is
    403.3.

    Thanks for your help.

    Mike

    Hi Mike.

    I am not real familiar with OWA. You may also want to post in an IIS/OWA newsgroup. I
    did find the link below on basic authentication [which is clear text] and one thing
    to check is that users have the right to logon locally to the server if using basic
    authentication. See the link below for more on that. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262233

    > Thank you for your response. The printing issue happened
    > right away from the time I built the servers. Like I said
    > these are remote sites and I had a finite amount of time
    > to get it working. I finally gave up and set it to print
    > directly to the printer. The advantage is that there
    > aren't that many users or printers at these sites so it
    > didn't impact them that much. It kind of fell off the
    > radar as a problem. The reason I remembered was that the
    > web site problem had the same issue.
    >
    > Now as far as the web sites I can't determine when it
    > started not working because it took months for users to
    > report any issues. The nearest I can guess is SP4. The
    > web site is OWA and I was focused on that until I created
    > a test web site to see if it was Exchange or IIS. The
    > behavior is the same on the test site. I need the users
    > to log on using basic authentication. I've checked all
    > the NTFS permissions and they are fine. The error is
    > 403.3.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Mike

Domain Printers Windows