Only domain admins can print or view web page

Mike

Splendid

I am having some problems and I only recently put them
together. I have 2 servers at remote sites that will not
let non-domain admin users log onto any web sites, or
print to printers with the spooler enabled. If an admin
logs onto the web site it will allow the regular users to
view the page for a few mins. The work-around to the
printer issue is to set the print job to go directly to
the printer.

Please help. This is starting to cause me severe help
desk related headaches.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean that they can not logon to a website. Do these websites need a
username and password? Has anything changed recently on those servers such as
changing security policy, hotfix, or Internet Explorer settings?? What happens - any
error messages?

As far as the printer I would look in Event Viewer for any clues in application and
system logs. Also enable auditing of logon events for success and failure, object
access for failure, and privilege use for failure. After doing that any failures in
the security log may give you more info. Also check the permissions to the printer,
try restarting the print spooler service, and verify that the server service is
running. I assume you already ran virus scan with current updates and parasite scan
with something like AdAaware on those computers. --- Steve

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having some problems and I only recently put them
> together. I have 2 servers at remote sites that will not
> let non-domain admin users log onto any web sites, or
> print to printers with the spooler enabled. If an admin
> logs onto the web site it will allow the regular users to
> view the page for a few mins. The work-around to the
> printer issue is to set the print job to go directly to
> the printer.
>
> Please help. This is starting to cause me severe help
> desk related headaches.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Mike

Splendid

Thank you for your response. The printing issue happened
right away from the time I built the servers. Like I said
these are remote sites and I had a finite amount of time
to get it working. I finally gave up and set it to print
directly to the printer. The advantage is that there
aren't that many users or printers at these sites so it
didn't impact them that much. It kind of fell off the
radar as a problem. The reason I remembered was that the
web site problem had the same issue.

Now as far as the web sites I can't determine when it
started not working because it took months for users to
report any issues. The nearest I can guess is SP4. The
web site is OWA and I was focused on that until I created
a test web site to see if it was Exchange or IIS. The
behavior is the same on the test site. I need the users
to log on using basic authentication. I've checked all
the NTFS permissions and they are fine. The error is
403.3.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike.

I am not real familiar with OWA. You may also want to post in an IIS/OWA newsgroup. I
did find the link below on basic authentication [which is clear text] and one thing
to check is that users have the right to logon locally to the server if using basic
authentication. See the link below for more on that. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262233