Blocking access to Server through IPs and Subnets

Is there any way in Win2K or Win2K3 servers to configure it to be only
accessible to certain IP addresses or Subnets without the need for a firewall.

The situation is that we have WAN with different subnets, but we want a
particular server to only be accessible by group of subnets within that WAN.

Hi,

You could create a IP Filter.

How To Use IPSec IP Filter Lists in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313190&Product=win2000

Try this out in the lab first so that you understand what you are doing...

I hope it helps,

Mike

"topokin" <topokin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way in Win2K or Win2K3 servers to configure it to be only
> accessible to certain IP addresses or Subnets without the need for a
firewall.

> The situation is that we have WAN with different subnets, but we want a
> particular server to only be accessible by group of subnets within that
WAN.

I will try it out. Sorry for the multiple posting

"Miha Pihler" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You could create a IP Filter.
>
> How To Use IPSec IP Filter Lists in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313190&Product=win2000
>
> Try this out in the lab first so that you understand what you are doing...
>
> I hope it helps,
>
> Mike
>
> "topokin" <topokin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way in Win2K or Win2K3 servers to configure it to be only
> > accessible to certain IP addresses or Subnets without the need for a
> firewall.
> >
> > The situation is that we have WAN with different subnets, but we want a
> > particular server to only be accessible by group of subnets within that
> WAN.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:05:07 -0700, "topokin"
<topokin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there any way in Win2K or Win2K3 servers to configure it to be only
>accessible to certain IP addresses or Subnets without the need for a firewall.
>
>The situation is that we have WAN with different subnets, but we want a
>particular server to only be accessible by group of subnets within that WAN.

IP Restrictions may do what you want, or simply using the appropriate
address and netmask. It depends a lot on your setup, routing, etc.

Jeff

Jeff,

Could you elaborated more on this option, as it seems simpler that the IPsec
option. Where exactly do you set the IP restrictions on the Server, I will
appreciate a step-by-step descriptions or a location where I can get this
descriptions.

Regards,
topokin