requiring new accounts to have passwords

I have a Windows 2000 Stand Alone machine that I need to configure so that
all new accounts must have a password. Currently, when I go through
Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Local Users and Groups this works, I
must enter a password for the new account or I cannot create the account. If
I go through Control Panel>Users and Passwords I can create the account
without a password. How do I change the Control Panel>users and passwords to
also require a password?
1 answer Last reply
More about requiring accounts passwords

    The best you can do is configure your password requirements in Local Security Policy
    account policies and use the net accounts command to view the applied setting. I have
    heard about this before and it sounds like a quirk. You might also want to try and
    enable password complexity to see if that helps. If all that is configured, you can
    not enforce passwords make sure that only people you trust can create user accounts.
    You can use local Group Policy via gpedit.msc to hide specific control panel applets
    under user configuration/administrative templates/control panel. Also if you run
    Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer on a computer it will tell you if there are
    blank passwords. It can also be used to scan network computers. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

    "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows 2000 Stand Alone machine that I need to configure so that
    > all new accounts must have a password. Currently, when I go through
    > Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Local Users and Groups this works, I
    > must enter a password for the new account or I cannot create the account. If
    > I go through Control Panel>Users and Passwords I can create the account
    > without a password. How do I change the Control Panel>users and passwords to
    > also require a password?

Control Panel Windows 2000 Windows