What permission set is required for adding events to Event..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

I need to pragmatically add events to the Win2K Event Viewer from my ASP.NET
web application. What user rights are required for this? I have tried to
assign "act as part of the operating system", but I still get permission
denied when I try to add events.

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com
-----------------------------------
2 answers Last reply
More about what permission required adding events event
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Hi Ken.

    I don't know for sure but their is a right for "generate security audits". The link
    below is for user rights assignments in XP and 2003 and a brief explanation of each.
    Another thing to try is to enable auditing of privilege use for success and failure
    in the Local Security Policy on the computer you are trying this on and then look in
    the security log for failed events after you are denied access and it may indicate
    the user right that caused the failed event. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/topics/hardsys/tcg/tcgch04.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/521.mspx
    -- not all user rights show in the security log when auditing of privilege use is
    enabled.

    The Generate security audits user privilege allows a process to generate audit
    records in the security log. The security log can be used to trace unauthorized
    system access.

    "Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message news:ONM1VKdmEHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I need to pragmatically add events to the Win2K Event Viewer from my ASP.NET
    > web application. What user rights are required for this? I have tried to
    > assign "act as part of the operating system", but I still get permission
    > denied when I try to add events.
    >
    > --
    > -----------------------------------
    > Ken Varn
    > Senior Software Engineer
    > Diebold Inc.
    >
    > EmailID = varnk
    > Domain = Diebold.com
    > -----------------------------------

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Additionally you may wish to consider writing the events to
    the application log, and whether this is IIS 5 wth IISlockdown
    installed and applying execute restrictions on system32 exes.
    The first may avoid, and the second allow even with, the use
    of the generate security audit user right.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    "Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message
    > I need to pragmatically add events to the Win2K Event Viewer from my
    ASP.NET
    > web application. What user rights are required for this? I have tried to
    > assign "act as part of the operating system", but I still get permission
    > denied when I try to add events.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Varn
    > Senior Software Engineer