What permission set is required for adding events to Event..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

I need to pragmatically add events to the Win2K Event Viewer from my ASP.NET
web application. What user rights are required for this? I have tried to
assign "act as part of the operating system", but I still get permission
denied when I try to add events.

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com
-----------------------------------

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi Ken.

I don't know for sure but their is a right for "generate security audits". The link
below is for user rights assignments in XP and 2003 and a brief explanation of each.
Another thing to try is to enable auditing of privilege use for success and failure
in the Local Security Policy on the computer you are trying this on and then look in
the security log for failed events after you are denied access and it may indicate
the user right that caused the failed event. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/topics/hardsys/tcg/tcgch04.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/521.mspx
-- not all user rights show in the security log when auditing of privilege use is
enabled.

The Generate security audits user privilege allows a process to generate audit
records in the security log. The security log can be used to trace unauthorized
system access.

"Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote in message news:ONM1VKdmEHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I need to pragmatically add events to the Win2K Event Viewer from my ASP.NET
> web application. What user rights are required for this? I have tried to
> assign "act as part of the operating system", but I still get permission
> denied when I try to add events.
>
> --
> -----------------------------------
> Ken Varn
> Senior Software Engineer
> Diebold Inc.
>
> EmailID = varnk
> Domain = Diebold.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Additionally you may wish to consider writing the events to
the application log, and whether this is IIS 5 wth IISlockdown
installed and applying execute restrictions on system32 exes.
The first may avoid, and the second allow even with, the use
of the generate security audit user right.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA