What DVD Recorder to Buy?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 18, 2004 6:32:05 PM

I don't have HDTV yet, but am thinking of getting one in the next
couple of months. I'm planning on getting a DVD recorder soon, maybe
the Panasonic DVD recorder with the 120GB HD.

Will that DVD Recorder record a good HDTV picture, or is there
something different I should be considering buying specifically for
recording HDTV?

More about : dvd recorder buy

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 11:59:54 PM

In article <1640daf7.0407181332.3ff2da6@posting.google.com>, Rich Mosar
<richmosar@aol.com> wrote:

> I don't have HDTV yet, but am thinking of getting one in the next
> couple of months. I'm planning on getting a DVD recorder soon, maybe
> the Panasonic DVD recorder with the 120GB HD.
>
> Will that DVD Recorder record a good HDTV picture, or is there
> something different I should be considering buying specifically for
> recording HDTV?

Just got mine a few days ago. So far so good. Forget the 213hr setting
as that's like an 8hr VHS tape. The 104hr setting is pretty
respectable, and the SP (52 hr) is even better. No regrets, but I've
only tried taping std cable signals with it so far.

--
Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics

"Rich Mosar" <richmosar@aol.com> wrote in message
> I don't have HDTV yet, but am thinking of getting one in the next
> couple of months. I'm planning on getting a DVD recorder soon, maybe
> the Panasonic DVD recorder with the 120GB HD.
>
> Will that DVD Recorder record a good HDTV picture, or is there
> something different I should be considering buying specifically for
> recording HDTV?

DVD recorders will not record HDTV. The best you will get is 480p.

Brad Houser
July 19, 2004 1:24:36 PM

>Just got mine a few days ago. So far so good. Forget the 213hr setting
>as that's like an 8hr VHS tape. The 104hr setting is pretty
>respectable, and the SP (52 hr) is even better. No regrets, but I've
>only tried taping std cable signals with it so far.

What exact model number is this unit?
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 4:32:03 PM

Rich Mosar wrote:
> I don't have HDTV yet, but am thinking of getting one in the next
> couple of months. I'm planning on getting a DVD recorder soon, maybe
> the Panasonic DVD recorder with the 120GB HD.
>
> Will that DVD Recorder record a good HDTV picture, or is there
> something different I should be considering buying specifically for
> recording HDTV?

No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD signal,
however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but with better
clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.

--
David G.
Anonymous

In article <ocmnf0dqh1qol68b4b2nfbj6poqib9nmei@4ax.com>,
<me6@privacy.net> wrote:

> >Just got mine a few days ago. So far so good. Forget the 213hr setting
> >as that's like an 8hr VHS tape. The 104hr setting is pretty
> >respectable, and the SP (52 hr) is even better. No regrets, but I've
> >only tried taping std cable signals with it so far.
>
> What exact model number is this unit?

DMR-E85H

--
Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics

>> What exact model number is this unit?
>
>DMR-E85H

OK

Mind if I ask where you bought it?

This is the same unit Im thinking of buying if I go
with Panasonic
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 8:41:56 PM

> No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD signal,
> however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but with better
> clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.

Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
still a long way off?

I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.
July 21, 2004 3:48:04 AM

richmosar@aol.com (Rich Mosar) wrote in

>> No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD signal,
>> however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but with better
>> clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.
>

> Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
> then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
> still a long way off?
>
> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
> less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
> DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.

Try a good Super Vhs recorder . Works very well
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:05:48 PM

Rich Mosar wrote:
>> No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD
>> signal, however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but
>> with better clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.
>

> Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
> then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
> still a long way off?
>
> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
> less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
> DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.

I'd like to point out that while a DVD recorder cannot record a HD
signal, it can record a downconverted SD signal from the HD source over
the the STB S-Video output with very good quality. Just as many of us
still find DVD picture quality excellent on ta HD set, you may find the
same with the downconverted SD signal.

--
David G.
July 22, 2004 5:09:10 PM

"Rich Mosar" <richmosar@aol.com> wrote in message

> > No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD signal,
> > however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but with better
> > clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.
>

> Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
> then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
> still a long way off?
>
> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
> less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
> DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.

look on ebay and search for D-VHS
they record HD TV.

just read up on the "5C" copy protection to see what you wont be able to
record.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:09:11 PM

jb wrote:
> "Rich Mosar" <richmosar@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD
>>> signal, however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but
>>> with better clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.
>>

>> Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
>> then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
>> still a long way off?
>>
>> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
>> less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
>> DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.
>
> look on ebay and search for D-VHS
> they record HD TV.
>
> just read up on the "5C" copy protection to see what you wont be able
> to record.

I agree. I've seen D-VHS recorders for about $400 at my local Tweeter in
the discount bin. Or you could get the HD DirecTivo from DirecTV.

--
David G.
Anonymous

>> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
>> less than a year.

Costco has a Pioneer DVD/HDD burner for $400
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:36:05 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:
>>> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
>>> less than a year.
>
> Costco has a Pioneer DVD/HDD burner for $400

That's not HD, it HDD (Hard Disk Drive) .

--
David G.
Anonymous

You might want to wait a few months if all you want to do is record
std def tv

Tape based recorders will be obsolete in about 2 years,,,I saw a very
nice DVD-rw/r recorder at a local electronic retailer for under $250.
Predictions are that these will fall to less than $100 in 2
years,,,maybe less.

Yes,,this recorder recorded/encoded over the air and cable analog
signals direclty on to a dvd-r or rw disc.

to record hdtv you need a tuner or a tv that has a firewire
output,,,,the bandwidth requirements for hdtv are huge.

"David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

>Rich Mosar wrote:
>>> No HD with a DVD recorder. You can record the downconverted SD
>>> signal, however, but that's still only a digital 480i signal, but
>>> with better clarity than the equivalent NTSC signal.
>>

>> Thanks for the replies. So, if a DVD recorder cannot record HDTV,
>> then is there any device that CAN record HDTV? Or is this option
>> still a long way off?
>>
>> I hate to spend $800 on a DVD-HD recorder to have it be obsolete in
>> less than a year. If that's the case, I'll just buy a combo
>> DVD-player VHS-recorder for $150.
>
>I'd like to point out that while a DVD recorder cannot record a HD
>signal, it can record a downconverted SD signal from the HD source over
>the the STB S-Video output with very good quality. Just as many of us
>still find DVD picture quality excellent on ta HD set, you may find the
>same with the downconverted SD signal.
>
>--
>David G.

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:42:38 PM

>Tape based recorders will be obsolete in about 2 years,,,I saw a very
>nice DVD-rw/r recorder at a local electronic retailer for under $250.
>Predictions are that these will fall to less than $100 in 2
>years,,,maybe less.

What's the best unit for someone who just wants to time shift standard
def TV?

I mainly want to time shift programs....and maybe occasionally burn
them to DVD

Is a DVD burner only unit acceptable? Or should I get a DVD burner
that also has built in hard drive?

Having a hard time with this decision. thanks!
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 7:07:21 PM

From what I've been reading, the HD makes editing easier. Still waiting for
UPS to deliver my Costco unit ....
YMMV

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >Tape based recorders will be obsolete in about 2 years,,,I saw a very
> >nice DVD-rw/r recorder at a local electronic retailer for under $250.
> >Predictions are that these will fall to less than $100 in 2
> >years,,,maybe less.
>
> What's the best unit for someone who just wants to time shift standard
> def TV?
>
> I mainly want to time shift programs....and maybe occasionally burn
> them to DVD
>
> Is a DVD burner only unit acceptable? Or should I get a DVD burner
> that also has built in hard drive?
>
> Having a hard time with this decision. thanks!
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:35:36 PM

>From what I've been reading, the HD makes editing easier. Still waiting for
>UPS to deliver my Costco unit ....
>YMMV

Did you buy the unit from Costco in link below?

http://tinyurl.com/7xj6x
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:04:59 AM

yep

> >From what I've been reading, the HD makes editing easier. Still waiting
for
> >UPS to deliver my Costco unit ....
> >YMMV
>
> Did you buy the unit from Costco in link below?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7xj6x
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:16:40 PM

>yep
>
><me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> >From what I've been reading, the HD makes editing easier. Still waiting
>for
>> >UPS to deliver my Costco unit ....
>> >YMMV
>>
>> Did you buy the unit from Costco in link below?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7xj6x

That's good!

Cause I ordered this unit as well

So we can compare notes abt it when we get it

I thought it was a good price...didnt you?

I will mainly use mine for time shifting TV programs
ala the built in hard drive. But then use the DVD
burner occasionally as well

What is your intended purpose for it?
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:39:02 AM

I have old vtapes from DBS and cable I want to transfer. I will also use it
as a back up for my Tivo Series 1 which is primary time shift device.
Like every other hi-tech tool I've owned over the years, I expect to devise
new uses as I gain experience and learn its strengths and weaknesses.

> >yep
> >
> ><me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >for
> >>
> >> Did you buy the unit from Costco in link below?
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/7xj6x
> >

> That's good!
>
> Cause I ordered this unit as well
>
> So we can compare notes abt it when we get it
>
> I thought it was a good price...didnt you?
>
> I will mainly use mine for time shifting TV programs
> ala the built in hard drive. But then use the DVD
> burner occasionally as well
>
> What is your intended purpose for it?
July 27, 2004 5:22:34 PM

>I have old vtapes from DBS and cable I want to transfer. I will also use it
>as a back up for my Tivo Series 1 which is primary time shift device.
>Like every other hi-tech tool I've owned over the years, I expect to devise
>new uses as I gain experience and learn its strengths and weaknesses.
>YMMV

Have you ever considered building your own PVR type
unit?
!