User Privilages

Hi All,
I am administrator for a network and we have purchased
a new software(Accounting) but for that perticular software
I cannot make the user "restricted user". If i do so it
gives a license issue where it stops working.
Since its a single programe i think i there should be a
way to give access only to that perticular programe. Could
u help me on this?

ThanX
Bish

Although you have not given the message you get, it did
sound like a message directly from the application rather
than from the operating system.
If that is the case, either the company asks a different
price for a multiuser version, or their software is not
written in accord with the Windows app guidelines.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Bishrul" <ebishrul@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I am administrator for a network and we have purchased
> a new software(Accounting) but for that perticular software
> I cannot make the user "restricted user". If i do so it
> gives a license issue where it stops working.
> Since its a single programe i think i there should be a
> way to give access only to that perticular programe. Could
> u help me on this?
>
> ThanX
> Bish

Marco

Hi

you can use RunAs but you then need to give the admin password to the user.
Our solution (not free) allows you to set per-application privielges .. but
is not free. Check it out if interested at the url below.

Another alternative is to run regmon and filemon and see where the app needs
to read/write and adjust the ACls accordingly -- somewaht risky as then open
to all other applications.

--
Marco [ www.neovalens.com ]
--

"Bishrul" <ebishrul@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I am administrator for a network and we have purchased
> a new software(Accounting) but for that perticular software
> I cannot make the user "restricted user". If i do so it
> gives a license issue where it stops working.
> Since its a single programe i think i there should be a
> way to give access only to that perticular programe. Could
> u help me on this?
>
> ThanX
> Bish

I'll echo the comments presented by Marco here ... Download FileMon and
RegMon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ and run them to see where the
regular user gets the access denied messages and correct the ACLs just on
those files or registry settings required to get this application to run ...