Quietest Case~

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm looking for pretty much the quietest case there is at the moment thats also got great airflow.

I have heard of Antec P180 being one that's very good, but not the best.

So I was wondering what everyone thinks the quietest case is.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Storm~

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
People ask this question alot, but i dont understand there thinking behind it. A case in itself cannot make noise, its the fans inside the case that make the noise. If you mean stuff like vibration from the HDDs, stuff like that, there are rubber inserts that will take care of that problem.

Anyway...Whats your budget? Which form factor do you want (Full tower, mid tower, micro atx, ect.)? The Stacker 830 has pretty good airflow, the Antec 900 is one of the best, airflow wise.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
There are a few PSUs out there with completely passive cooling. If you're a hardcore gamer you're going to have to accept some noise... no way around it. If you're building an HTPC (or just a regular PC) near-silence is possible.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The case itself doesn't make noise, but different cases with identical fan setups will vary greatly in the amount of noise you hear.

When I switched from an aluminum Antec SuperLanboy to my wood case, it went from an audible wooshing kind of sound to almost silent. I only can hear one of the fans and it is only if I put my ear up to it.

The P180B is an extremely quiet case for most purposes.

Good quiet PC site: http://www.silentpcreview.com/section9.html

The Silverstone Temjin TJ-07 is also a good choice. Looks nice too.

Blouge

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Cases DO make noise. Aluminum cases vibrate and make much more noise than steel cases. Plus, cases come with fans typically.

I don't know if it's the best, but I have the Antec 900. It is steel, comes with large fans (120's and a gigantic 200 mm one) , making it very quiet and well cooled. I'm happy with it. If you want absolute silence, then Antec 900 is not adequate.

The best way to keep your PC quiet is to get large fans. I recommend 120 or larger, if possible. It seems like one small 80 mm fan can make as much noise as 5 120 mm fans. Go smaller than 80 mm and it's absolutely horrible. I'd rather have a mosquito buzzing in my ear. I don't know why anyone still makes crap like that.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Cases DO make noise. Aluminum cases vibrate and make much more noise than steel cases. Plus, cases come with fans typically.
I must agree. Not sure the foundation for the love of the TJ-07 by all the previous posters. Lack of 120mm fans, alone, make it suspect. This review also agrees, regarding lack of silence:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article602-page7.html

And further explanations on steel v. aluminum along with airflow:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page1.html

The research seems to disagree with the consensus. Looks and features aside, the OP did want the "quietest".