Diff. Between WM 2003 and WM 2005?

May 12, 2005 4:17:14 PM

Hi,

Is there any significant features upgrade from WM2003SE over WM2005?

Thanks a lot!!

More about : diff 2003 2005

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:26:59 PM

The most significant in my opinion is the Mobile versions of Office
applications. Mobile Word now offers better support for images and tables,
while Mobile Excel adds Charts. Also there is now a Mobile PowerPoint, which
is a viewer only application.

ActiveSync now show the status for the last sync with each partner, plus
Exchange server (if it is the case).

Mobile Internet Explorer offer a full page view now, which works really
well.

And synchronisation between photos stored in contacts (Outlook 2003) with
the PDA version - very nice.

Check this article for more:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Pocket PC and Smartphone software: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Pocket PC software directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

"ST" <sstak@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there any significant features upgrade from WM2003SE over WM2005?
>
> Thanks a lot!!

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:27:00 PM

>> activesync differences <<

imho, a significant difference is the inability of activesync 4.0 to
sync via wifi, ethernet or dialup connection, that coupled with the fact
that WM5 devices can't use activesync 3.x

Beverly Howard
Related resources
May 12, 2005 9:27:01 PM

Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that the Windows Mobile 2005, that was
just released, including the ActiveSync 4.0, will NOT allow me to sync over
WiFi?

So WiFi devices (and aren't there more and more of these?) will have to
CRADLE to sync? That seems quite strange!

Chester

message news:ez2dCQvVFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> activesync differences <<
>
> imho, a significant difference is the inability of activesync 4.0 to sync
> via wifi, ethernet or dialup connection, that coupled with the fact that
> WM5 devices can't use activesync 3.x
>
> Beverly Howard

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:27:02 PM

>> Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that the Windows Mobile 2005,
that was just released, including the ActiveSync 4.0, will NOT allow me
to sync over WiFi?

That seems quite strange! <<

Have to agree with you 100%

MS apparently feels that remote sync poses a security risk... and they
have been appraised of the related feelings thereon of a number of users ;-)

>> So WiFi devices (and aren't there more and more of these?) will have
to CRADLE to sync? <<

I am not versed enough with the new sync options via exchange server to
comment on the options there... I do know that home syncs will have to
be via cradle.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:27:03 PM

Reply to message from "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]"
<BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> (Thu, 12 May 2005 10:30:47) about "Re: Diff.
Between WM 2003 and WM 2005?":

BH> I am not versed enough with the new sync options via exchange server
BH> to comment on the options there... I do know that home syncs will have
BH> to be via cradle.

Not quite true, Bev. Don't forget the native Bluetooth sync option,
although in my opinion BT sync is definitely a 2nd best wireless sync
option.

Don

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:27:04 PM

>> Bluetooth <<

Agreeded, but while BT is wireless, it requires a BT connection directly
to the sync PC... i.e. "short wire replacement" vs the ability in a
local environment to sync anywhere on a LAN with WIFI or ethernet.

In otherwords, BT is condemned to be a "short range" sync option under WM5.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:51:23 PM

<<< What he said !

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:24:05 -0400, "Chester"
<chester@NOSPAMprosoundusa.com> wrote:

>Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that the Windows Mobile 2005, that was
>just released, including the ActiveSync 4.0, will NOT allow me to sync over
>WiFi?
>
>So WiFi devices (and aren't there more and more of these?) will have to
>CRADLE to sync? That seems quite strange!
>
>Chester
>

>"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>message news:ez2dCQvVFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>> imho, a significant difference is the inability of activesync 4.0 to sync
>> via wifi, ethernet or dialup connection, that coupled with the fact that
>> WM5 devices can't use activesync 3.x
>>
>> Beverly Howard

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:00:40 AM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> >> Bluetooth <<
>
> Agreeded, but while BT is wireless, it requires a BT connection
directly
> to the sync PC... i.e. "short wire replacement" vs the ability in a
> local environment to sync anywhere on a LAN with WIFI or ethernet.
>
> In otherwords, BT is condemned to be a "short range" sync option
under WM5.

> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade from 2003 to 2005 that can't
be had with third-party applications? (by that I mean I'd rather get
textmaker or planmaker instead of 2005 word or excel)
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:46:52 PM

I'm a "slow adopter" and have found that while I may not get the
benefits of additions and improvements, I do avoid both new os problems
and "dropped features" to the extent that I feel that I have a net
advantage as a user.

by the time I adopt (for example, have just recently started using 2003)
things are generally stable enough to be highly productive along with
information on how to deal with issues having good documentation.

It's going to be some time before I am exposed to daily use of WM5 ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:52:08 PM

> I'm a "slow adopter" and have found that while I may not get the
> benefits of additions and improvements, I do avoid both new os problems
> and "dropped features" to the extent that I feel that I have a net
> advantage as a user.
>
> by the time I adopt (for example, have just recently started using 2003)
> things are generally stable enough to be highly productive along with
> information on how to deal with issues having good documentation.
>
> It's going to be some time before I am exposed to daily use of WM5 ;-)
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

As a heavy user of a variety of hardware and software packages, I've
adopted a similar outlook.

a)Let someone else do the post-beta testing, but
b)Upgrade when its convenient to, not when you're forced to.

Recognizing the peaceful period between a and b is what I shoot for.

Scott
May 13, 2005 11:18:08 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
>>> activesync differences <<
>
> imho, a significant difference is the inability of activesync 4.0 to
> sync via wifi, ethernet or dialup connection, that coupled with the
> fact that WM5 devices can't use activesync 3.x
>
> Beverly Howard

Will it not be possible to use 3.8 with WM5?

Regards

Martin
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 11:18:09 PM

AFAIK - WM2005 will require 4.0

xfiler

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:56:22 PM

WM2005 does require 4.0 or above

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:56:23 PM

Thanks Beverly - I was pretty sure - but not sure if I'm
going to like 4.0 - but it's gotta be better than 3.7
right?!?!

xfiler

P.S. Great site!

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:56:24 PM

"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Beverly - I was pretty sure - but not sure if I'm
> going to like 4.0 - but it's gotta be better than 3.7
> right?!?!

ummm, no, not unless they reinstate the ability
(with the proper warnings, of course) for me to
sync with Wi-Fi. I hate it when things are dumbed
down so much that it removes functionality that I have
come to depend on. I don't sync "sensitive" info
via AS, therefore do NOT care about it sending said
info via clear text. Why the hell didn't they just keep
the ability and encrypt the AS data instead?

This alone will keep me from even considering the
move to WM5, and, yes I do have a device that's
allegedly going to get the upgrade (hx2755).

> xfiler
>
> P.S. Great site!

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:51:46 PM

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Beverly - I was pretty sure - but not sure if I'm
> > going to like 4.0 - but it's gotta be better than 3.7
> > right?!?!
>
> ummm, no, not unless they reinstate the ability
> (with the proper warnings, of course) for me to
> sync with Wi-Fi. I hate it when things are dumbed
> down so much that it removes functionality that I have
> come to depend on. I don't sync "sensitive" info
> via AS, therefore do NOT care about it sending said
> info via clear text. Why the hell didn't they just keep
> the ability and encrypt the AS data instead?
>
> This alone will keep me from even considering the
> move to WM5, and, yes I do have a device that's
> allegedly going to get the upgrade (hx2755).

Totally agree. I never cradle my device as that would mean I have to
disconnect my other USB devices or go buy a hub, take my device out of it's
softpack case not to mention have another wired piece of junk on my desk.
Nope no wi-fi, no upgrade for me.

As of right now I've seen nothing in 2005 that would make me consider
upgrading my device (actually I would have to buy a new one) and every
reason not to upgrade. I use my device for email, calendar, voice recording,
MP3 and movie player while travelling, Avantgo and RSS news and sometimes
supporting my clients instead of lugging my laptop to a site I just carry
the PPC with wireless and do my thing. I might be very surprised but who
needs these advance features in Word and Excel? I need an Outlook that
supports encryption using certs, wi-fi syncing, faster CPU, more ram and a
slightly larger screen. Anything I've seen talked about with 2005 does
nothing for me not to mention the forced upgrade of hardware when my
hardware is still more than powerful enough to run 2005 just because both MS
and Dell want to sell new devices will keep me away until my Axim dies or I
drop it one to many times.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:49:22 AM

"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> of wrote:

>Thanks Beverly - I was pretty sure - but not sure if I'm
>going to like 4.0 - but it's gotta be better than 3.7
>right?!?!

Wrong. AS 4.0 doesn't have any remote synching, so no WiFi or GPRS synch.
--
Judge: A law student who marks his own papers.
Henry Louis Mencken

How good is round tripping of documents between the Pocket PC and desktop?
Is formatting retained in all cases now?

On 5/12/05 1:26 AM, in article #Boq5MrVFHA.2960@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> The most significant in my opinion is the Mobile versions of Office
> applications. Mobile Word now offers better support for images and tables,
> while Mobile Excel adds Charts. Also there is now a Mobile PowerPoint, which
> is a viewer only application.
>
> ActiveSync now show the status for the last sync with each partner, plus
> Exchange server (if it is the case).
>
> Mobile Internet Explorer offer a full page view now, which works really
> well.
>
> And synchronisation between photos stored in contacts (Outlook 2003) with
> the PDA version - very nice.
>
> Check this article for more:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4460
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:24:00 AM

too true - what were they thinking??

xfiler

May 18, 2005 11:58:53 PM

ST wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any significant features upgrade from WM2003SE over WM2005?
>
> Thanks a lot!!

Beautiful new icons.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

ST <sstak@tm.net.my> wrote in news:BEA8F9CA.7CCF%sstak@tm.net.my:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any significant features upgrade from WM2003SE over WM2005?
>
> Thanks a lot!!

The feature I am most looking forward to is how it handles memory. The
file structure will be stored on ROM leaving all of RAM for running apps.
I have never really made use of ROM as a file store, prefering to use SD or
CF. It'll be nice to get away from out of driver memory errors. It'll
also be nice to have my file system and settings in non-volatile RAM in
case of the rare times I let my battery go flat.
!