ASP.NET service fail to start during bootup but succeed la..

martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

We got a problem and I think we now the reason but not the answer.
The service "ASP.NET" fail to start when Windows bootup but can easily be
manually started afterwards.

The error message in the event viewer says:
Source: Service Control Manager
EventID: 7000
Message: The ASP.NET State Service service failed to start due to the
following error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the
password is invalid for the account name specified.

After logging in to the system it is no problem to manually start the
service (control panel-services-mark the service and then press start).

I think the service try to start before the AD has startet and that is why
we got this error message. The service use a domain account called "latitud"
which has full administrative rights in the domain. The machine is a Windows
2000 server with AD and acts as a domain controller. Except the
operativ-system we're running the IIS and ASP.NET -services, nothing more.

Any help would be appriciate. I had an idea of using dependecies for this
service to force it to start later but I have not succeed that way.
Please direct any answers to both the group and to news@teknologia.com

Sincerely
Martin Rådbo
Teknologia

On 15 Sep 2004 04:38:18 -0700, news@teknologia.com (Martin) wrote:

>We got a problem and I think we now the reason but not the answer.
>The service "ASP.NET" fail to start when Windows bootup but can easily be
>manually started afterwards.
>
>The error message in the event viewer says:
>Source: Service Control Manager
>EventID: 7000
>Message: The ASP.NET State Service service failed to start due to the
>following error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the
>password is invalid for the account name specified.
>
>After logging in to the system it is no problem to manually start the
>service (control panel-services-mark the service and then press start).
>
>I think the service try to start before the AD has startet and that is why
>we got this error message. The service use a domain account called "latitud"
>which has full administrative rights in the domain. The machine is a Windows
>2000 server with AD and acts as a domain controller. Except the
>operativ-system we're running the IIS and ASP.NET -services, nothing more.
>
>Any help would be appriciate. I had an idea of using dependecies for this
>service to force it to start later but I have not succeed that way.
>Please direct any answers to both the group and to news@teknologia.com
>
>Sincerely
>Martin Rådbo
>Teknologia

Try using tip 69 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
to make it dependent on the NetLogon service.

or

make it dependent on the Spooler service and make the Spooler service
dependent on the NetLogon service.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

Thanks.

I tried that but still the ASP.NET service fail to start during bootup
with error message that user name or password is wtong, but it is no
problem to start it after bootup with the same credentials.
Any other idea?

// Martin

Jerold Schulman <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message news:<9uugk09q9c81f4f0hfk53gcq6rpk2fehdn@4ax.com>...
> On 15 Sep 2004 04:38:18 -0700, news@teknologia.com (Martin) wrote:
>
> >We got a problem and I think we now the reason but not the answer.
> >The service "ASP.NET" fail to start when Windows bootup but can easily be
> >manually started afterwards.
> >
> >The error message in the event viewer says:
> >Source: Service Control Manager
> >EventID: 7000
> >Message: The ASP.NET State Service service failed to start due to the
> >following error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the
> >password is invalid for the account name specified.
> >
> >After logging in to the system it is no problem to manually start the
> >service (control panel-services-mark the service and then press start).
> >
> >I think the service try to start before the AD has startet and that is why
> >we got this error message. The service use a domain account called "latitud"
> >which has full administrative rights in the domain. The machine is a Windows
> >2000 server with AD and acts as a domain controller. Except the
> >operativ-system we're running the IIS and ASP.NET -services, nothing more.
> >
> >Any help would be appriciate. I had an idea of using dependecies for this
> >service to force it to start later but I have not succeed that way.
> >Please direct any answers to both the group and to news@teknologia.com
> >
> >Sincerely
> >Martin Rådbo
> >Teknologia
>

> Try using tip 69 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
> to make it dependent on the NetLogon service.
>
> or
>
> make it dependent on the Spooler service and make the Spooler service
> dependent on the NetLogon service.
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows: General MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

You could use a computer startup script:

@ping -n 16 127.0.0.1>nul
net start "Service Name"

On 18 Sep 2004 03:34:23 -0700, news@teknologia.com (Martin) wrote:

>Thanks.
>
>I tried that but still the ASP.NET service fail to start during bootup
>with error message that user name or password is wtong, but it is no
>problem to start it after bootup with the same credentials.
>Any other idea?
>
>// Martin
>

>Jerold Schulman <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message news:<9uugk09q9c81f4f0hfk53gcq6rpk2fehdn@4ax.com>...
>> On 15 Sep 2004 04:38:18 -0700, news@teknologia.com (Martin) wrote:
>>
>> >We got a problem and I think we now the reason but not the answer.
>> >The service "ASP.NET" fail to start when Windows bootup but can easily be
>> >manually started afterwards.
>> >
>> >The error message in the event viewer says:
>> >Source: Service Control Manager
>> >EventID: 7000
>> >Message: The ASP.NET State Service service failed to start due to the
>> >following error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the
>> >password is invalid for the account name specified.
>> >
>> >After logging in to the system it is no problem to manually start the
>> >service (control panel-services-mark the service and then press start).
>> >
>> >I think the service try to start before the AD has startet and that is why
>> >we got this error message. The service use a domain account called "latitud"
>> >which has full administrative rights in the domain. The machine is a Windows
>> >2000 server with AD and acts as a domain controller. Except the
>> >operativ-system we're running the IIS and ASP.NET -services, nothing more.
>> >
>> >Any help would be appriciate. I had an idea of using dependecies for this
>> >service to force it to start later but I have not succeed that way.
>> >Please direct any answers to both the group and to news@teknologia.com
>> >
>> >Sincerely
>> >Martin Rådbo
>> >Teknologia
>>

>> Try using tip 69 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
>> to make it dependent on the NetLogon service.
>>
>> or
>>
>> make it dependent on the Spooler service and make the Spooler service
>> dependent on the NetLogon service.
>>

>> Jerold Schulman
>> Windows: General MVP
>> JSI, Inc.