Sign in with
Your question

When's ATI gonna fix this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2007 2:04:42 PM

I spent the dosh on a brand spankin' new X1950 PRO AGP card. I've yet to see any performance improvement over my trust ATI X850XT. Cat 7.1's are buggy and DirectX 9.0 C is not doing some of my games any favors. CoD2 has ceased to play altogether giving me just one error message after another. I'm not a happy camper.

Da Worfster

More about : ati gonna fix

February 13, 2007 2:49:01 PM

R u looking for help or sympathy?

Cos help here's plenty of, sympathy none.

A more brief explanation might yield some guidance.
February 13, 2007 3:11:21 PM

whats the rest of your system

it could honestly be a Bottleneck

also even though you upgraded to another ATI card it might be smart to do a full drivers reinstall (Delete the old ones in safe mode ect ect)
Related resources
February 13, 2007 3:34:13 PM

I agree with FatFunkey

1) Need some specs to see if your system is the performance bottleneck, rather than the video card.

2) Sounds like you didnt clean out the older drivers completely before your new install.
February 13, 2007 4:15:08 PM

What games do you play?

From what I can see on THG VGA charts there is only about a 20-30% difference in fps between those cards.

Did you expect a bigger change?
February 13, 2007 5:00:49 PM

An X1950Pro isn't a big upgrade from the legendary X850XT!
The new vidcard supports shader model 3, but otherwise it's no huge improvement.
For that you would need X1950XT, right?
And ATI Catalyst is the same for both (same drivers).
Also, the Catalyst removal software they provide is very effective at erasing any/all ATI drivers from your system, should you require.
Regards
February 13, 2007 5:17:41 PM

Fair enough... Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-60
ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo
HIS X1950 Pro AGP
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
2 Gig of Patriot 3200 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
BFG 650 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

No longer "cutting edge" but it should run games better than this.

Da Worfster
February 13, 2007 5:20:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with FatFunkey

1) Need some specs to see if your system is the performance bottleneck, rather than the video card.

2) Sounds like you didnt clean out the older drivers completely before your new install.

Errrr, not only do I use ATI uninstaller but also Driver Cleaner Pro before installing any new drivers. I've built every rig for me and my family for the last 6 years. This ain't my first trip to the Rodeo. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Da Worfster
February 13, 2007 5:47:37 PM

Quote:
how come everyone catalysts are buggy except mine. have i got lady luck permenately on my side or something. exactly what sort of bugginess are we talking of?

oh and although not everyones favourite, what are your 3dmark 05 scores. note not 06 as that will not be a fair comparison.

Well as I said,

1. COD2 stopped playing altogether, but I think that might be more related to DirectX 9.

2. Darkstar One REFUSES to play at any higher res than 1280X1024

3. Il2 Stormovik - 1946 Plays "okay" l but I've artifacts where none used to be. Patches showing up in objects where they don't belong. And NO the cards not overheatin'

Those are my main problems at the moment. I've never run 3dmark. I used Fraps scores on "The Black Death" run as a guide. All us virtual Luftwaffles do. My fraps scores were:

31.1065 on Avg, 15 - on the low end and 62 on the high end. But thats trying to render the virtual world with "perfect" settings 8 and 16 on the AA and AF and max game rez of 1400X1048 I believe. (I'm at work now).
Can post Dxdiag if anyone's interested.

Da Worfster
February 13, 2007 5:49:23 PM

At what res are you playing games at? The x1950pro should handle 1600x1200 a lot better then the x850. What frames are you getting at what resolutions with which games? Posting on a forum saying you didn't see an increase doesn't help you/us. Let us know where you were, and where you are so we have some clue as to what might be wrong.

And don't worry strange, my catalysts drivers are just fine. That must make us the only two in the world. (I never had any driver issues with my x1800xt, 9700pro, and AIW9600pro.)
February 13, 2007 5:49:24 PM

Quote:
how come everyone catalysts are buggy except mine. have i got lady luck permenately on my side or something. exactly what sort of bugginess are we talking of?

oh and although not everyones favourite, what are your 3dmark 05 scores. note not 06 as that will not be a fair comparison.

I don't get issues with catalyst either :|

I know that's not any help to the OP, but the comment on DX9c not doing your games any favours - how so? DX9c just added extra features and trinkets to the previous DX incarnations - you have had the december 06 directX update?
February 13, 2007 5:54:08 PM

Quote:

I don't get issues with catalyst either :|

I know that's not any help to the OP, but the comment on DX9c not doing your games any favours - how so? DX9c just added extra features and trinkets to the previous DX incarnations - you have had the december 06 directX update?
If you do a google you'll see that some some folks get what's known as the CoD2 DirectX bug when they upgrade Directx. Yeah I've the lastest and greatest drivers from everywhere for everything.

As for where I was and where I'm at, I'll post my Fraps scores when get home. Bottom line is with the rez and games settings EXACTLY the same I get no increase in FPS on my IL2 Benchmark runs. And that's with all the tweaks the same, V-synch off etc.. No change, no increase, no nada.

Da Worfster
February 13, 2007 6:13:31 PM

Quote:

my catalyst isnt buggy..
maybe he meant "how come everyone's catalyst is stable, except mine"
February 13, 2007 7:27:43 PM

Quote:
please do a proper test. use 3dmark that way we know what you are using. also, you can compare with other people your gfx scores. your testing methods are flawed, your attitude and tone needs addressed immediately and you need to take our head out of your ass.

My "flawed" system of testing is used by hundreds if not thousands of people who fly online and offline in the IL2 Universe. If you don't like me or my attitude ine, don't answer any of my questions. How you can impart tone into type written words is amazing you must teach me how to do that sometime. I don't had thousands of posts here, but I do have thousands all over the web. What you consider a sorry attitude, is indeed a sorry attitude, sorry that I ever hope against hope that software and hardware will work as advertised, out of the box. Buggy OS's, shoddy drivers, poor builds on some hardware, no wonder my attitude is so bad. If my tone is offensive to you, sorry, see you in the next life. I'm over 50 and have served my country in peace and war, and I'll be damned if I'll take a dressing down from you or anyone else in here.

As for my Fraps scores they were as follows

2007-01-30 17:57:00 - il2fb
Frames: 5041 - Time: 152000ms - Avg: 33.164 - Min: 15 - Max: 61

2007-02-12 19:45:28 - il2fb
Frames: 5024 - Time: 152000ms - Avg: 33.052 - Min: 14 - Max: 61

This is at the same rez. Running "The Black Death" track. As you can see no improvement under the exact same conditions with two different vid cards. X800XT first X1950Pro next.

Da Worfster

PS, before I started doing this for grits and giggles I was Sgt. David D. Macks late of the 5tth (ash and trash) 8th (Gary Owen) and 2nd Combat Engineer Bns. You can look up my service record if you feel the need. Forgive if don't feel the need to be lectured to like some child.
February 13, 2007 8:21:31 PM

Quote:
Fair enough... Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64Fx-60
ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo
HIS X1950 Pro AGP
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
2 Gig of Patriot 3200 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
BFG 650 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card
Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1 Wide Flat Panel

No longer "cutting edge" but it should run games better than this.

Da Worfster

Perhaps get a refund and spend the $$$ on a new motherboard with PCIe and a new PCIe video card (higher end, not just cause its PCIe)
February 13, 2007 8:26:05 PM

Worf101 Dude :) 

I "know" your frustration ... I recently upgraded to an Asus A8N-SLI Premium w/ an Opteron 154, 2x512 Ballistix @ 2-2-2-8 1T, Radeon Ultimate X1950 PRO, etc., etc. etc. Sweet system BUT the graphics are dorky. Called ATI-AMD and the tech said "we don't support Win2K drivers for the X1950 series so ya' gotta move to XP or Vista!" Called Sapphire techs and they said try running Cat 6.2 drivers w/Win2K ... not a satisfactory solution as certain functions are not recognized in 6.2. I also tried Cat 6.4 and 6.6, but those display drivers really screwed the pooch 'cause the GPU at idle of 46 deg C would "black screen due to overheating" (What 'da F was that shit about?) As for performance, my "old" AMD64-3200+ NF3 Gigabyte mobo with an unlocked ATI-800GTO cranked 69-70 FPS in HL2-Lost Coast vid stress test. With the Opteron-X1950 and dorky W2K driver I still cranked 106 FPS so, 'da X1950 definitely has balls ... it simply requires XP or Vista drivers to do it's best.
February 13, 2007 10:40:50 PM

Quote:
tone, does not have to be vocal, it can very well be communicated in words. i do not give a damn about what you have done in your life as i have no more respect for soldiers than anyone else. they are nothing special.

also, you are using one game or maybe 2. if you would use 3dmark then everyone can use it and you can compare to people with the same type of spec. 10's if not hundreds of thousands of people use 3dmark.

oh, and if you are in need of a dressing down be sure that i will give it to you.

the fact that you automatically assume this is ATI's fault regardless of you having no concrete evidence is a major sign of immaturity.

i am attempting to help you but you need to step down off of your high horse. you are not it appears asking a question but making a statement as if it is truth.

do as my other post suggested and you may get somewhere, otherwise leave as you are of no use to these forums.

I have answered questions on this forum and helped people when I can if you do a search you'd see that. As for blaming ATI, well lets see.... if it quacks like a duck... If all else in my system stays the same but the card and the drivers, you do the math. I've rolled back drivers, worked with CCC and done everything in Tweakguides and in my knowledge that I know how to do and it's been to no avail. If it's just my ignorance and NOT a driver problem then what in name of all that's holy are all these folks posting here about lackluster FPS or worse.

And to show you that I'm not some "know it all". I went to futuremark.com
downloaded and paid for their product. Tried to run it and it tells me to "go back to some earlier iteration of their software as I don't have the pixel shaders to run their test".

So... I download I pay, and the test doesn't work. Nice advice. Anymore bright boy?

Da Worfster.

PS your attitude about servicemen doesn't suprise me, just confirms what I suspected.
February 14, 2007 2:02:13 AM

Quote:
... If all else in my system stays the same but the card and the drivers, you do the math.
Sorry, but this is faulty logic in the computer world. Some games, software, driver combinations, etc do not work with certain cards. For example, it is entirely possible that you changed the card and the drivers, and as a result one or more of your games needs patched or now has a problem it did not use to have. It is not necessarily the cards or the drivers fault in this situation. Computing in an environment where so many disparate pieces are working together is not so black and white. Not saying that AMD isn't to blame, just that your concluding that they were before extensively troubleshooting the problem is faulty.

Quote:
So... I download I pay, and the test doesn't work. Nice advice. Anymore bright boy?
You know you could have used the free version to get a good idea right?

Quote:
If my tone is offensive to you, sorry, see you in the next life. I'm over 50 and have served my country in peace and war, and I'll be damned if I'll take a dressing down from you or anyone else in here.
So? Do you think that makes you better than the rest of us? I appreciate the contribution of servicemen as much as anyone (many of my friends have served in various wars), but YOU ARE NOT better than us. Most of the rest of us serve functions that are just as necessary to society as the military.

Strange is right, your attitude sucks.

Be that as it may, I/we will still try to help you. What version of 3dMark did you use? What was the exact error message? "Tried to run it and it tells me to "go back to some earlier iteration of their software as I don't have the pixel shaders to run their test"" is not good enough for us to help you.

Are you sure there is not an actual problem with the card??

I have an x1900 AIW and have had NO driver problems, nor any trouble running the various versions of 3dMark, so I think you have something configured wrong.
February 14, 2007 4:45:08 AM

Quote:

As for blaming ATI, well lets see.... if it quacks like a duck... If all else in my system stays the same but the card and the drivers, you do the math.

So the card changed, but the scores didn't. I would argue that this means the bottleneck ISN'T the card. If the card changed and the scores didn't increase, then perhaps the bottleneck is the amount of ram you have, or perhaps your CPU. If you changed the card and the scores don't go up, you can't just blame the card. Investigate as to whats going on.

This is why strange asked/told you try 3dmark. It allows you to break out the CPU and GPU parts. I think the fact that you couldn't run it shows that something is wrong. The x1950pro supports up to shader model 3.0, so there shouldn't be any issues running any version of 3dmark. (unless there is an 07 version that tests for SM4.) Either the card is defective, or its not installed correctly. (I would have said power, but the BFG 650W should be enough to power that.) I agree, what was the error msg?
February 14, 2007 11:40:46 AM

Quote:
... If all else in my system stays the same but the card and the drivers, you do the math.
Sorry, but this is faulty logic in the computer world. Some games, software, driver combinations, etc do not work with certain cards. For example, it is entirely possible that you changed the card and the drivers, and as a result one or more of your games needs patched or now has a problem it did not use to have. It is not necessarily the cards or the drivers fault in this situation. Computing in an environment where so many disparate pieces are working together is not so black and white. Not saying that AMD isn't to blame, just that your concluding that they were before extensively troubleshooting the problem is faulty.

Quote:
You know you could have used the free version to get a good idea right?

Quote:
If my tone is offensive to you, sorry, see you in the next life. I'm over 50 and have served my country in peace and war, and I'll be damned if I'll take a dressing down from you or anyone else in here.
So? Do you think that makes you better than the rest of us? I appreciate the contribution of servicemen as much as anyone (many of my friends have served in various wars), but YOU ARE NOT better than us. Most of the rest of us serve functions that are just as necessary to society as the military.

Strange is right, your attitude sucks.

Be that as it may, I/we will still try to help you. What version of 3dMark did you use? What was the exact error message? "Tried to run it and it tells me to "go back to some earlier iteration of their software as I don't have the pixel shaders to run their test"" is not good enough for us to help you.

Are you sure there is not an actual problem with the card??

I have an x1900 AIW and have had NO driver problems, nor any trouble running the various versions of 3dMark, so I think you have something configured wrong.

To your first point. I got this little missive from 3Dmark support:

"Hi,

I checked your system details and your system should easily be able to run the test. This could be a driver issue so first i suggest that you update all your drivers to the latest versions."

So the people who make the software that your boy Strange told me to get tells me the above. But I guess my logic STILL flawed? Do I still "have my head up my a$$". I've done a LOT of puter building and tweaking over the years. I'm not some noob off the turnip truck. If I complain about a driver problem its because I've done everything I can think of to fix a problem outside of that. I do searches, I read FAQ's, I do my research FIRST. If I come into a forum whining its usually as a last resort, not my first resort.

As for being better no, different yes. In way's you'll never understand, so be it, enough on that matter.

Bottom line is according to 3DMark and boys at futuremark, I'm right back where I started when I began this post!!!

When is ATI gonna fix this thing.

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 11:49:01 AM

As for the 3Dmark error message. When I go to run the tests in the suite a window comes up saying (to paraphrase in that it wouldn't allow me to cut and paste)

"An examination of your system indicates that your system cannot run 3Dmark 2006. Certain components are missing such as Pixel Shader xyz is missing. We suggest you run 2Dmark2003 (or some earlier versions"

Now. when I got this message I sent an email to Futuremark and 3Dmark supprt. They looked at my system specs and sent me the driver message detailed above. I downloaded Cat 7.1 the day it came out. I've the latest DirectX software. My mobo chipset drivers are the latest and greatest. I've tried every tweak and trick I could find and still "no soap". So, I'm right back where I started. With the driver. Anyplace else to look?

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 12:12:16 PM

Just curious, have you tried the Omega Drivers? or possibly WarCat? (Have not tried the WarCat myself)
Have you tried just the 7.1 drivers without CCC?
Have you disable AGP fastwrites?
February 14, 2007 12:48:33 PM

Quote:
Just curious, have you tried the Omega Drivers? or possibly WarCat? (Have not tried the WarCat myself)

I've never tried Omega drivers. Figured I'm having enough problems with CCC why go looking for more trouble :lol:  . As for not using CCC, the guys on other boards I frequent are divided on the matter but I may consider trying it in the future. I did disable AGP fastwrite sometime ago, but that didn't seem to help overall.

Thanks though...

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 12:58:11 PM

I could be you got a defective card. Do you have another system you can check it in and see if you get better results.
February 14, 2007 1:01:23 PM

Time for a reinstall.
February 14, 2007 1:01:37 PM

Seen a few people have troubles with the X1950Pro's and CCC, try just the drivers by itself.

I've been running the Omega (Ati 6.3) with my X850XTPE for about a year now, no problems. :D 
It's only a bit of time and nothing to lose.
February 14, 2007 1:17:57 PM

Quote:
I could be you got a defective card. Do you have another system you can check it in and see if you get better results.
I don't have any machine in the house or available that has the horses (PSU) to run this thing. If it were an X800 series I could test it in my son's rig, but as it is I don't even know of anyone in town that:

1. Is still using AGP.

2. Qualifies for #1 above and has a good sized PSU with SLI connectors.

What I will do is uninstall Cat. 7.1, wipe drivers and do a re-install of either 7.1 or use the drivers that came on the disk with the card. Perhaps HIS knows something I don't.

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 1:30:29 PM

ATI Cat 7.1 added STARFORCE protection to my VISTA box. I guess your using XP? Have a look in the device manager then unhide the hidden devices and see if you find STARFORCE in there. If you do there is a tool that gets it out. Also try pulling 7.1 then install the older Cat from the AMD/ATI site.
February 14, 2007 1:55:15 PM

Quote:
ATI Cat 7.1 added STARFORCE protection to my VISTA box. ....

You're joking right? If it's true, that's a good reason for me NOT to use ATI and Vista together...
February 14, 2007 1:57:32 PM

Not sure what the difference in drivers is between the pci-express and agp versions of the x1950 pro, but I installed the pci-express one in a build for my uncle, and despite having a slower processor and ram than me, his x1950 pro kicked the crap out of my system with an x850xt . Definitely try the drivers on the cd, it has happened before to me where the cd drivers worked better than downloaded ones.

Also, the 3dmark 06 should work fine on yours, worked great on my uncle's. So I think you are correct in saying it's something with the drivers, best bet is to start testing different drivers and not using the CCC. However, if none of that works, and you can't find anyone else with the x1950 pro agp that is having similar problems, then it's time to RMA.
February 14, 2007 2:01:57 PM

Soldiers are nothing special as long as your willing to step up to the plate when your country calls and not wine about being drafted. But somehow I think the circle you run in would run to a foreign country when the crapola hit the fan and claim some excuse like" I don't agree with the war" or whatever the situation was. Modern day rationalization for being a coward. Not that your a coward, you may very well be willing to step up and if so your post has some merit otherwise your not worth this veterans frustration.
February 14, 2007 2:15:08 PM

Quote:
Definitely try the drivers on the cd, it has happened before to me where the cd drivers worked better than downloaded ones.

Ditto. This has happened to me several times... that I downloaded the latest greatest and things went to crap such that I had to go back to the CD drivers and not upgrade. Now I upgrade to the latest greatest with great hesitancy.
February 14, 2007 2:17:01 PM

Datman.... WHAT DID YOU DO? YOU GOT RID OF THE HOT JIGGLIN ASIAN BABE?

Dang, man, I had to expand that thing and watch for a minute everytime I see one of your posts.
February 14, 2007 2:27:13 PM

Quote:
Soldiers are nothing special as long as your willing to step up to the plate when your country calls and not wine about being drafted. But somehow I think the circle you run in would run to a foreign country when the crapola hit the fan and claim some excuse like" I don't agree with the war" or whatever the situation was. Modern day rationalization for being a coward. Not that your a coward, you may very well be willing to step up and if so your post has some merit otherwise your not worth this veterans frustration.

Thanks for the backup bro. It's no biggie. I only mentioned my age and prior service because some folks in the "virutual" world seem to think that everyone who comes in with attitude or a complaint is ome pimply faced kid who they can talk down to and insult in impugnity (the guy did tell me to pull my "head out of my ass for god sake) and I just wanted to let him/her know that I wasn't a "child" nor some callow youth. But it doesn't matter. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 2:29:13 PM

Quote:
ATI Cat 7.1 added STARFORCE protection to my VISTA box. ....

You're joking right? If it's true, that's a good reason for me NOT to use ATI and Vista together...

YEP I S**T you NOT. Cat 7.1 added STARFORCE PROTECTION to my Vista box. That is in keeping with the DRM spec. Needless to say I have many boxes. I am amazed at how Vista has become the oppisite of what I want from a computer. This isn't a Vista thread though, this is a bash ATI thread and buddy pal as far as I'm concerned bash away! ATI has allways sucked in one way or another. From bad drivers to dastardly deeds they do it all. Now AMD/ATI can give us their combined attention with root kits and protection schemes.

Any way if you have Vista enter the device manager and go to VIEW then select Show Hidden Devices. I'm not completely sure where it was but expand each group and look for STARFORCE. If you find it then you may want to get rid of the @&##!!!? There is a tool that you can get online. By the way Vista had a compliance issue with Cat 7.1 on my PC and that is how I found the STARFORCE PROTECTION DRIVER.
February 14, 2007 2:45:03 PM

Quote:

I was about to suggest the same thing. I've never had any problems with Catalyst and never needed to use Omega, but a lot of people say that Omega drivers are much better.
February 14, 2007 3:15:32 PM

ATI catalyst requires .NET framework to be installed, another reason I only install the drivers and not Catalyst Control Center (besides the CPU usage issue), but my 1950 pro plays all my games including IL2 Pacific Fighters, COD2, F.E.A.R., 3dMark03,05,06, Halflife 2, and MS Flight Sim 2004 with no artifacts or crashes on WinXP Pro.
Have you tried ATITOOL to see what temps you are at, etc?
February 14, 2007 4:13:56 PM

Since for some odd reason (the root of your problem I would guess), you cannot run 3dMark06, have you tried the free version of 05?

It sounds like somewhere along the lines, something in the software for the card got thrown way out of whack. Now the trick is for us to help you find what that is...

I would suggest removing everything you can related to your graphics subsystem and rebuild it, using only the drivers without the CCC installed (even if you already have .Net installed).

I sometimes have troubles like this when I reinstall my AIW card, becuase the software has so many additional tie ins.
February 14, 2007 5:03:56 PM

There are alot of people out there that are having problems with there x1950 Pros, especially Sapphire cards. People are also having problems overclocking with ATi-Tool. The only way you can overclock the x1950 Pro is through CCC. I have seen people complaining about power supplies needing atleast 30AMPS on the 12V rail, but have also read people with 22AMPS on the 12V rail and running fine. I also have the x850xtpe, and was considering the x1950 Pro in AGP flavor, but decided against it. The x850 rips, I know this has been said alot, but, wait for quad core / dx10 cards to come down in price. IME, any ATi card labeled "Pro" is usually junk. I had an x800 Pro, and it's not in the same league as my x850xtpe.
February 14, 2007 6:09:29 PM

Np, I get tired of the name calling in this forum from time to time and all the I'm smarter than you crap. This forum is for helping fix problems not belittling them. Back to your thread though, I've been hearing about problems about that particular card for a while now from many different review sites. Seems you have covered most of the bases. Are you running Vista? if so the earlier post about starforce may be worth looking into. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is what was also suggested before and find someone with a system you can put the card in with the same operating system and see if the problems continue. Hard to find AGP gaming systems that would fit your needs for this test so good luck.
February 14, 2007 11:21:54 PM

I appreciate your response and I'm sorry if I offeded anyone with my "tone" in my initial thread, but I'd tried alot of things and had little success.

Some progress to report. I rolled back to Cat. 6.11 and got the card running stable, if not stellar.

3Dmark06 no longer gives me the "no pixel chader" message.

Some of the tests however don't run, or don't run well. The CPU test is a slide show. I thought I'd done all that needed doing with this FX60 but perhaps it's just too old and slow for that battery of tests.

I'll wait to see what the boys at 3Dmark have to say.

Thanks again for all who've tried to help...

Da Worfster
February 14, 2007 11:45:41 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your response and I'm sorry if I offeded anyone with my "tone" in my initial thread, but I'd tried alot of things and had little success.

Some progress to report. I rolled back to Cat. 6.11 and got the card running stable, if not stellar.

3Dmark06 no longer gives me the "no pixel chader" message.

Some of the tests however don't run, or don't run well. The CPU test is a slide show. I thought I'd done all that needed doing with this FX60 but perhaps it's just too old and slow for that battery of tests.

I'll wait to see what the boys at 3Dmark have to say.

Thanks again for all who've tried to help...

Da Worfster

try to disable the AGP speed ( set it to 2X or lower )

I had problems with ATI cards with AGP + AMD cpus..
February 14, 2007 11:56:42 PM

You should be fine for those tests (though maybe '05 would run better). The only potential bottleneck I saw on your system could be the MB using the VIA chipset. The CPU should be fast enough for what you are trying to do.
February 15, 2007 1:50:12 AM

I have seen some rushed ati drivers....and to this day there is still some corruption in Wolf ET maps....but those may be the maps....

You problem seems to be unique in the sense that it gives u a pixel shader error....

My suggestion is to go to add/remove programs and use the cat uninstaller.

Reinstall an older version....lets say jump back 3 revisions......HERE

reinstall the direct x 9c re distribution package HERE

See if this helps....also make sure all your drivers(AGP/inf, Sound, ect) are up to date as well....This is important in the Creative world....

As far as performance goes there should be a boost over the x850xt(but those are still quite fast). Do you have vsync on? you seem to be capped @ 60....that looks to me like vsync.... in this case you want it off for benching....and on for best look(fixes page tearing).... Also many flight sim type games are cpu bound....as such the boost would be less......@ the end of the day...you should still have a plenty fast system there....

When all else fails....you may need to reinstall to get rid of all the old crap....

Sorry if anything was covered....i just skimmed it over

Hope this helps
February 15, 2007 3:32:09 AM

So, what was your total 3dmark06 score? The CPU test SHOULD be a slideshow, basically it is rendering the scene entirely with the cpu, kind of shows you why you need graphics cards, since general purpose cpus are so slow at rendering. Anyways, if you tell us your score we will know for certain whether you have a problem or not with your card. Also, some scenes should be kind of choppy, because the program is designed to push modern cards to the limit and see what they are capable of.
Anonymous
February 15, 2007 4:03:46 AM

Quote:
i do not give a damn about what you have done in your life as i have no more respect for soldiers than anyone else. they are nothing special.

Congratulations on making yourself the biggest a$$hole in the Planet.

Heres your badge !
February 15, 2007 5:15:34 AM

Hi all, first of all I'd like to say that I really resent the turn of tone this thread took. I don't want to stick up for anybody or anything but I can't help wondering y StrangeStranger took the issue so personally and used a worse tone in return with the original poster. U can't expect someone who's been beavering away at a troublesome computer for god know's how long to come all over all gay and smiling. As for disrespect to soldiers, especially a veteran one, maybe a history book should be in order? They're the ones that kept the veneer of civilisation from collapsing back in the pithole of barbarity, noone else. That's just my 2cents, but I really do suggest a history lesson or 2, if u have a degree in History I suggest you change lecturers, it's amazing how biased and twisted some Universities have become.

Also, the noob question of the day, what is the deal with STARFORCE? I know it used to be a copy-protection scheme that turned sour, I've had some experience with it. But what is it doing in AMD/ATI drivers now?
February 15, 2007 9:00:32 AM

Er, uh, excuse me.
I did that upgrade, although mine is PCIe, and their is a HUGE difference between a X850XT and a X1950Pro.
February 15, 2007 9:14:56 AM

Yeah, but the soldiers were the ones doing the dirty work, and the brilliant minds giving them their orders were soldiers themselves. And it's today's elite that are handing our countries to the enemy on a silver platter in the name of multiculturalism. These so-called elite are the cancer of today's society, they've got their heads either so high up in the clouds or up their ass that they've got no idea what is really going in the streets. Case in point all the sucking up to CAIR. It's disgusting, makes one be ashamed to be American.
February 15, 2007 9:16:49 AM

Oh, and for another thing. I'm all for democracy, but it only works when all the parties involved have the interests of the country to heart, not when all debates never rise up above the level of petty bipartisan squabbling. Thomas Jefferson would be turning in his grave if he saw what is happening.
!