how do I upgrade my hard drive with Win2k?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install. Now,
a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to save
the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does save)
with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?

Thanks,
DM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

VR - others may have a better idea, but I think the simplest
thing for you to do is use a 3rd party disk/drive copy utility
to simply replicate the old structures on the new drive. Such
utilities (most, anyway) will allow you to resize the copy-to
directories during the process as well. (Old C:\ is 4GB; new
C:\ is 15GB on a 60GB drive. Cable the new drive as primary
master, and boot.)

VR wrote:

> I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
> upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
> groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install. Now,
> a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
> about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to save
> the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does save)
> with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> DM

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Ghost the old drive to a new drive.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I tried using Symantec's Ghost to do a drive before, and it was a miserable
failure.

As far as software coming with new HDDs, are you guys purchasing retail box
versions? I usually don't, so I don't have copies of this software hanging
around.

I'll try Ghost again, and see if it'll work.

-VR

"Captain Ron" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ghost the old drive to a new drive.

Kurt

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

We use ghost practically daily. It's never been a failure, in fact you can
image or restore from another disk, another partition, a network server or
CD (even spans multiple CDs). Give it another shot, you probably just pushed
the wrong button.

....kurt

<VR> wrote in message news:41489797$1_5@127.0.0.1...
> I tried using Symantec's Ghost to do a drive before, and it was a
miserable
> failure.
>
> As far as software coming with new HDDs, are you guys purchasing retail
box
> versions? I usually don't, so I don't have copies of this software
hanging
> around.
>
> I'll try Ghost again, and see if it'll work.
>
> -VR
>
> "Captain Ron" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ghost the old drive to a new drive.

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

<VR> wrote in message news:41484d20$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
> upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
> groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install.
Now,
> a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
> about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to save
> the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does
save)
> with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> DM

You could use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
copy your old disk to the new disk and enlarge the partition size at
the same time.

Alternatively you could do this:
- Install the old and the new disk as secondary disks on some
Win2000/XP PC.
- Use xcopy.exe with the appropriate switches to copy your old
disk to the new disk.
- Put the new disk into your server.
- Use the Command Console (fixmbr, fixboot) to restore the
boot environment.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Would the xCopy cover users and groups?

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> <VR> wrote in message news:41484d20$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> > I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
> > upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
> > groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install.
> Now,
> > a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
> > about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to
save
> > the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does
> save)
> > with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DM
>
> You could use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
> copy your old disk to the new disk and enlarge the partition size at
> the same time.
>
> Alternatively you could do this:
> - Install the old and the new disk as secondary disks on some
> Win2000/XP PC.
> - Use xcopy.exe with the appropriate switches to copy your old
> disk to the new disk.
> - Put the new disk into your server.
> - Use the Command Console (fixmbr, fixboot) to restore the
> boot environment.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

VE - if you use it correctly (the right switches as Pegasus says)
xcopy will copy the entire file structure, including ALL files, to
the target drive. As Pegasus further says, the source partition
MUST NOT be the currently active system partition; put both drives
in some other machine and boot that machine's system.

The fixmbr and fixboot also must be handled afterwards as Pegasus
says.

The data you are concerned about (users, groups, etc) is just data
and would be copied with everything else.

VR wrote:

> Would the xCopy cover users and groups?
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>
>><VR> wrote in message news:41484d20$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>>
>>> I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
>>>upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
>>>groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install.
>>
>>Now,
>>
>>>a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
>>>about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to
>
> save
>
>>>the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does
>>
>>save)
>>
>>>with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>DM
>>
>>You could use an imaging program such as DriveImage or Ghost to
>>copy your old disk to the new disk and enlarge the partition size at
>>the same time.
>>
>>Alternatively you could do this:
>>- Install the old and the new disk as secondary disks on some
>> Win2000/XP PC.
>>- Use xcopy.exe with the appropriate switches to copy your old
>> disk to the new disk.
>>- Put the new disk into your server.
>>- Use the Command Console (fixmbr, fixboot) to restore the
>> boot environment.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

If you purchase a drive of the same brand I expect the manufactures
website will have a utility , but I find ghost8 to be excellent and does
most any partition no matter the o/s

--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The failure I get is every time I try, and it's always the same. "abort
29004". Not very helpful. I'm using Ghost 2002, if that helps. I'm trying
to copy a Win2k Server install from a 4gb drive to a 60gb drive.

-VR

"Kurt" <kurtl@olypen.com> wrote in message

> We use ghost practically daily. It's never been a failure, in fact you can
> image or restore from another disk, another partition, a network server or
> CD (even spans multiple CDs). Give it another shot, you probably just
pushed
> the wrong button.
>
> ...kurt
>
> <VR> wrote in message news:41489797$1_5@127.0.0.1...
> > I tried using Symantec's Ghost to do a drive before, and it was a
> miserable
> > failure.
> >
> > As far as software coming with new HDDs, are you guys purchasing retail
> box
> > versions? I usually don't, so I don't have copies of this software
> hanging
> > around.
> >
> > I'll try Ghost again, and see if it'll work.
> >
> > -VR
> >
> > "Captain Ron" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Ghost the old drive to a new drive.

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption
> =---

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

<VR> wrote in message news:41484d20$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> I have a server sytem, which originally had WinNT on it. We later
> upgraded to Win2k Server, but in order to maintain the settings (users,
> groups, etc.) we kept the 4gb hard drive, and did an upgrade install.
Now,
> a few years later, we need to install a larger (c:) drive. How can I go
> about doing that without losing all my configuration. I know how to save
> the registry with RegEdit and the Metabase (or whatever of it it does
save)
> with MetaEdit, but how do I transfer all the users, groups, etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> DM

I've used Seagate and Western Digital drives recently and both
manufacturers had software free to download that sets up a Hdd easily.
Partitions, formats and copies data over to new drive then swap drives
and off you go.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You need to use the corporate version to clone server versions of Windows. It's
a ploy to extract more money from you. :)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:03:47 -0500, <VR> wrote:

>The failure I get is every time I try, and it's always the same. "abort
>29004". Not very helpful. I'm using Ghost 2002, if that helps. I'm trying
>to copy a Win2k Server install from a 4gb drive to a 60gb drive.

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Unless your primary drive is ntfs Id suggest you copy a smaller section
, ed 30 or 35 gig then consider the conversion to ntfs and then enlarge
the partition.You may need a latter version of ghost , Ive used 8 with
success.