Problems when installing RAM

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I just bought a 1G stick of Kingston Value Ram (pc3200) to add to the 512 I already had in the system. When I put the new ram stick into the second slot the computer powered on but the screen stayed blank. I then took out the Ram and tried to boot up but again did not come on. My questions are:

1) Can you add 1G to the 512 already there or do they need to be 1G each.

2) Is there a proper sequence for plugging wire into the computer, I swear this made a difference when I was trying to figure things out last night.

3) Is the new Ram bottlenecked by the latency of the old 512?

4) Does is matter what slot the Ram goes into.

TIA,

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Can you add 1G to the 512 already there or do they need to be 1G each.
Yes, you can add it.

...2) Is there a proper sequence for plugging wire into the computer, I swear this made a difference when I was trying to figure things out last night.
Not sure what you mean here, but you certainly need to unplug the main power cord from the PS and let the computer sit for 30 seconds or so to ensure that there isn't still live voltage in the computer.

...3) Is the new Ram bottlenecked by the latency of the old 512?
All the installed memory will run at the speed/latency of the slowest module.

...4) Does is matter what slot the Ram goes into.
It shouldn't, but may.

If you haven't already, install just one stick at a time in your system. Download and run memtest86+ (available for download as a bootable floppy or CD image) through at least a complete cycle to verify that the memory is functioning properly. Remove it and repeat for the next module until you have tried every module. Then try combining the modules. Certainly you can try switching which slots the modules are in.

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Does it power up when just the 1gb stick is in?

Also...make sure it's compatible with your motherboard. Make sure the ram is seated tight, too.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Take out the 512MB and put the 1GB in where the 512MB is.

You may find this works, and that when you put the 512MB in you see 1.5GB. Sometimes mobos will set timings to the first stick of RAM they see.

If the 1GB doesn't work in the any slot by itself, it is either incompatible with your mobo or it's dead.

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I finally ended up getting the system up and running. I took the mobo out of the tower and just had the vid card, 1G stick or ram, and ps hooked up. The system booted up. I then added the old 512 and it wouldn't initialize, just a black screen. Once or twice I actually got it to recognize the 512 but when I put everything back into the tower it wouldn't. This happened several times and by the third time I was to frustrated.

My guess is that the old stick of ram just isn't compatible with the new Kingston VR. You would think that PC-3200 is PC-3200...guess not.

TRENDING THREADS