Help need cheap build with core2duo future path

bruce_k2

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Need help on a cheap build with a future upgrade path. Would like to spend most money on the motherboard around $150. Possible overclock in future. Thought about MSI Platinum and read some people have issues with the memory they buy not working. I don't have a lot of time to look.

I'm thinking Cedar Mill Celeron 50-60$ for right now and E6320 in the future to get the extra cache.

Also need memory.

I have Antec Super Lan Boy case and Antec sp 500. 200 gig sata 1.5 Maxtor Hard Drive. Sony DVD RW Drive.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Don't give a damn about some reviews. As simple as that. Cheap ram works on everything :wink:

Look at my mobo. I wouldn't buy it if I went by the reviews, and so far so good. great performer.

bruce_k2

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
MSI 965 Platinum Board Question

Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

What is this saying above? Does MSI mean adjust the bios to fit your ram timing or do i have to be paticular about what ram I buy for this motherboard? If i decide to get it.

bruce_k2

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Your right about the MSI Platinum. I changed my mind. Glad you post about that board.

The BIOSTAR TForce965PT don't sound bad for a 105$. What do you think?

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
BioStar:
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

Either way, the p965 chipset has proved to be the best price/performance one. If it's cheaper, buy it. Performance differences to other brands are negligible.

Edit:it seems the latest bios allows higher OCing

bruce_k2

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The Biostars not to bad.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 board also don't sound bad for 110$. I guess having the same chipset it will have the same issues.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...erboard&ProductID=2321&ProductName=GA-965P-S3

Possitive side:

I didn't mention it. My athlon xp 2000 is toast. I didn't know it at the time. I stuck my old thoroubred in my board and changed the voltage and my pc is up and running with ddr and sata hard drive. So, no hurry now. The whole time running my games I thought my 9700 pro was bad. I definately need an upgrade though.

Thanks