AD 2000, Blank passwords, and Group Policy

Hello,

I have a situation that I cannot seem to solve. I've looked on the web and
even went through my old 2000 MCSE study books.

Here is my situation:

Issue #1
======
I need to force users to change their password upon next logon -without-
changing their currently _blank_ password. AD U/C won't let me set that
option on a user with a blank password.

If I absolutely have to create a password for these users to accomplish
this, is there a way to create a password for all users with a currently
blank one? (It could be the same for all users).

Issue #2
======
I'm connecting remotely via Kerio's VPN service (just FYI). When connecting
to a resource with a user that -does- have the force password change checked,
I'm not prompted to change my password. I seem to be able to connect using
my old password.

Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

I just created a user with a blank password on my test W2K dc and after I created the
user I was able to go back and select "must change password at next logon" without a
problem. Make sure that "user can not change password" is not enabled for that user
you are having a problem with. While not an elegant solution, you could set the
maximum password age to short duration such as ten days [temporarily of course, maybe
one week] which would require users to change their passwords if older than the
maximum [ most probably are very old if using blank ] and do not have password never
expires set in their account properties, which would cause some grief with users but
you got do what you got do. Just be sure to inform users of any new password rules
with examples of what will and will not work. VPN logons are not always logons to the
domain. It may help if you have the users specify the domain name when they logon
which requires that the VPN connectoid properties be changed to show the three
lines - logon name, password, domain. Shortening the maximum password age would force
users to change their passwords to gain access to domain resources. Just be sure the
minimum password age is not more then the maximum password age. I would strongly
encourage users to change their password voluntarily before you force a change and
you could enforce minimum password lenght and complexity before you enforce maximum
password age . --- Steve

"JASlaughter" <JASlaughter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a situation that I cannot seem to solve. I've looked on the web and
> even went through my old 2000 MCSE study books.
>
> Here is my situation:
>
> Issue #1
> ======
> I need to force users to change their password upon next logon -without-
> changing their currently _blank_ password. AD U/C won't let me set that
> option on a user with a blank password.
>
> If I absolutely have to create a password for these users to accomplish
> this, is there a way to create a password for all users with a currently
> blank one? (It could be the same for all users).
>
> Issue #2
> ======
> I'm connecting remotely via Kerio's VPN service (just FYI). When connecting
> to a resource with a user that -does- have the force password change checked,
> I'm not prompted to change my password. I seem to be able to connect using
> my old password.
>
> Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

Oops, I think I failed to make it clear, that the although many users have
blank passwords, the new policy set in place is set to require a minimum
length password. I could set the policy to not enforce this until after all
users have changed their passwords, but then I run into the problem of users
not following my direction (I'm very much remote and actually have no direct
contact with them). Not only that, but currently existing users also have
'Password does not expire' set, so they won't run into the max password age
fix either. (Don't look at me, I didn't set up this thing, just trying to
help a friend)

Because this policy is now in-place, I cannot use the 'Force' checkbox as it
will give an error stating that changes could not be made since their current
password fails the domain security policy. What I'm looking for is a way to
force them to change their password without making their passwords meet this
requirement first. Actually, as it is now, I cannot make -any- changes to a
user that has a blank password because their passwords donot meet the policy
requirement.

If I -must- assign a password first, then is there a way to batch create
passwords for these users?

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> I just created a user with a blank password on my test W2K dc and after I created the
> user I was able to go back and select "must change password at next logon" without a
> problem. Make sure that "user can not change password" is not enabled for that user
> you are having a problem with. While not an elegant solution, you could set the
> maximum password age to short duration such as ten days [temporarily of course, maybe
> one week] which would require users to change their passwords if older than the
> maximum [ most probably are very old if using blank ] and do not have password never
> expires set in their account properties, which would cause some grief with users but
> you got do what you got do. Just be sure to inform users of any new password rules
> with examples of what will and will not work. VPN logons are not always logons to the
> domain. It may help if you have the users specify the domain name when they logon
> which requires that the VPN connectoid properties be changed to show the three
> lines - logon name, password, domain. Shortening the maximum password age would force
> users to change their passwords to gain access to domain resources. Just be sure the
> minimum password age is not more then the maximum password age. I would strongly
> encourage users to change their password voluntarily before you force a change and
> you could enforce minimum password lenght and complexity before you enforce maximum
> password age . --- Steve
>

> "JASlaughter" <JASlaughter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a situation that I cannot seem to solve. I've looked on the web and
> > even went through my old 2000 MCSE study books.
> >
> > Here is my situation:
> >
> > Issue #1
> > ======
> > I need to force users to change their password upon next logon -without-
> > changing their currently _blank_ password. AD U/C won't let me set that
> > option on a user with a blank password.
> >
> > If I absolutely have to create a password for these users to accomplish
> > this, is there a way to create a password for all users with a currently
> > blank one? (It could be the same for all users).
> >
> > Issue #2
> > ======
> > I'm connecting remotely via Kerio's VPN service (just FYI). When connecting
> > to a resource with a user that -does- have the force password change checked,
> > I'm not prompted to change my password. I seem to be able to connect using
> > my old password.
> >
> > Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

OK. I set up an account with password policy enforced and experienced the same as you
did. I have never seen that before as I never use blank passwords so I learned
something new today. The only thing I can suggest is to leave the accounts as they
are and when their passwords [or lack of password] expires, hopefully those with a
blank password will have to enter a new password that complies with policy to be able
to logon. Otherwise you will have to disable [NOT undefined] any password
requirements for minimum password length and complexity and the configure those
accounts to change password at next logon. When done doing that, then enable the
password policy requirements again. I tested this an it will force a user with a
blank password to change their password at next logon and it must comply with
password policy. They can just leave their old password as blank if they did not use
one when they are prompted to enter it. They will have to enter their new password
twice.

I don't know of a way offhand to search and change specfic users passwords in a batch
file though you may want to post in a Windows scripting newsgroup for that You might
be able to use something like the resource tool addusers to export users to a file,
import it into a spreadsheet or such. Delete all but the users you want to change and
import them back in. By default addusers gives users a blank password and requires
the user to change password at next logon. You can also give a user a password by
using the " net user username password " while at the keyboard and a tool from
SysInternals allows you to change passwords on remote computers.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301940 -- will work in a W2K
domain
http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm -- download here.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pspasswd.shtml -- Pspasswd link You
probably could make a batch file with this.

A couple other things to check out. Take a look at Hyena from SomarSoft. They offer a
trial period download and it can massage user accounts in many ways that you can not
in Windows 2000. If there is a Windows XP Pro computer on the domain you can install
Adminpak on it for Windows 2003 which will allow you to logon to it as a domain admin
and use the Active Directory command line tools to search for and change user
accounts. For instance you could do a query for all acccounts to find which have the
password never expires attribute enabled by using dsquery user piped to the dsget
user commands. You could also move all users that need password never expires
disabled into an OU and then use dsquery piped to dsmod to query for those users and
then change their accounts to remove the password never expires attribute as in "
dsquery user OU=needtochange,DC=mydomain,DC=Com | dsmod user -pwdneverexpires no ".
The same can be done to configure users to require they change their passwords at
next logon using " | dsmod user -mustchpwd yes " The last link explains much more
about the AD command line tools. --- Steve

http://www.somarsoft.com/somarsoft_main.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/DS_command_line_tools.asp

> [...]
>> >
>> > Issue #1
>> > ======
>> > I need to force users to change their password upon next logon -without-
>> > changing their currently _blank_ password. AD U/C won't let me set that
>> > option on a user with a blank password.
>> >
>> > If I absolutely have to create a password for these users to accomplish
>> > this, is there a way to create a password for all users with a currently
>> > blank one? (It could be the same for all users).
>> >
>> > Issue #2
>> > ======
>> > I'm connecting remotely via Kerio's VPN service (just FYI). When connecting
>> > to a resource with a user that -does- have the force password change checked,
>> > I'm not prompted to change my password. I seem to be able to connect using
>> > my old password.
>> >
>> > Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

Unfortunately, the original creator of these accounts set them to 'Password
never expires' so that won't work for me.

However, I'm going to have to use your suggestion of disabling the policy
and having the users manually go and change their passwords. Hopefully very
few will not comply and I can deal with those on a case by case basis.

Thanks again for all the help!
-Jason

TRENDING THREADS