change administrator password

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We have 2 domaincontrollers with Windows 2000 Server SP3.
Since I changed the administrator password, I get a lot of these events in
the Security Event Viewer (see below).

Is it possible that some processes or programs still try to use the old
password?
Is there a procedure to follow when changing the administrator password,
just to be sure that the new password is transfered to all processes on all
the DC's.
I also have some PC's which are used p.e. as printserver or antivirus
updateserver, that start with the administrator password or wiht a user with
administrator priviliges. Is there a way to submit the new administrator
password to processes that run on such PC's?

I must say, all the programs that run on our servers : Exchange, Arcserve
Backup, F-Secure Antivirus, Progress Database,... seem to work fine.
So why all these event messages?

Kind regards,

Bob Goetschalckx

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 529
Date: 10/09/2004
Time: 20:11:32
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NameOfDC
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: out_domain\Administrator
Domain: NameOfDC
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Workstation Name: NameOfDC

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 681
Date: 10/09/2004
Time: 20:11:32
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NameOfDC
The logon to account: out_domain\Administrator
by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
from workstation: NameOfDC
failed. The error code was: 3221225572

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 677
Date: 10/09/2004
Time: 15:12:25
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NameOfDC
Service Ticket Request Failed:
User Name: NameOfDC$
User Domain: out_domain
Service Name: krbtgt/our_domain
Ticket Options: 0x2
Failure Code: 0x20
Client Address: 127.0.0.1

Date: 10/09/2004
Time: 10:11:13
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NameOfDC
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: administrator
Domain: our_domain
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: User32
Authentication Package: Negotiate

Date: 16/09/2004
Time: 5:01:03
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NameOfDC
Service Ticket Request Failed:
User Name: NameOfDC$
User Domain: out_domain
Service Name: ldap/NameOfDC.our_domain.be
Ticket Options: 0x40810010
Failure Code: 0x6
Client Address: 127.0.0.1

Hi Bob,

It could be just about anything. E.g. network mapping that use old password
or scheduled jobs etc.

Here is tool from Microsoft that might be able to help you out figure out
what process is causing you these problems.

Account Lockout and Management Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7AF2E69C-91F3-4E63-8629-B999ADDE0B9E&displaylang=en

I hope it helps,

Mike