Password protecting files in Win2K

I want to know if there is anyway to password protect
individual files in Win 2000. I have a file server and I
want to password protect my students folders without
having to come up with 100 different passwords.
2 answers Last reply
More about password protecting files win2k

    There is not password protection per se. If the server is using ntfs file system
    which can be seen in drive properties you can configure ntfs permissions on the
    folder in properties/security. Ntfs permissions and share permissions work together
    to restrict access. Share permissions are only in effect for network users while ntfs
    permissions apply to all users. When there are both share and ntfs permissions, the
    most restrictive of the two applies for network access. Note that any user with
    administrator access to a computer can take ownership of a file/folder and grant
    themselves access. The only sure way to protect a folder is to encrypt it contents.
    Windows 2000 uses EFS file encryption but one should not use it until they know EFS
    best practices including the concept of the Recovery Agent and how to backup the EFS
    private keys as it is easy for a user to lose permanent access to their files. See
    links below for more details on file permissions and EFS. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316

    "Pam" <pwillis@silsbee.k12.tx.us> wrote in message
    >I want to know if there is anyway to password protect
    > individual files in Win 2000. I have a file server and I
    > want to password protect my students folders without
    > having to come up with 100 different passwords.

Security File Server Microsoft Windows