Digital SDTV and HDTV viewing quality

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 19, 2004 1:35:33 PM

Subject to actually seeing one in the fall, I've kind of settled on a
Samsung DLP HLP4674W HDTV.

In browsing the various newsgroups, the only shortcoming I can see
(HDTV in general) is the quality of the SDTV viewing. Comments range
from "garbage in garbage out" to "it depends". The latter makes more
sense to me since GIGO would/should apply to the Sony 27" WEGA I have
now. I'm wondering if the SDTV issues are ameliorated by a digital
SDTV signal - or on what other "it depends" factors does "it" depend.
I live in Toronto Ontario and have a good selection of digital
channels through Rogers. But my viewing is still likely to be around
50% SDTV based on today's content and I'm not sure I want to take much
of a quality hit for 50% of my viewing.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:12:21 AM

I found that Toshiba makes a damn good tv for sd viewing on both hd and
sd models. I have both and Dishnetwork satellite tv looks great on
my Toshiba hd 57" tv. It also looks great on my 20" sd tv in my
computer room. I looked long and hard for the last two years to see a
good picture with sd over an hd tv. I even slumped around my
dishnetwork satellite 721 dvr to each tv to check if it looked good on
a hd tv and I was very impressed with Toshiba. It upconverts all inputs
to 1080i so it looked great with an s-video connection. The Sears
store in the mall already had Dish and I was able to see it in both sd
and hd on their 50" Toshiba with component ,and I knew that tv was
the one. It was the only tv that made satellite look good out of the
other 6 showing the same picture. Of course I wanted a bigger one so I
went with a 57 " and it looked great too. It really looks good with my
hd 921 dvr using a dvi cable. :D

--
MikeD-C05
Anonymous

I've posted recently about how my digital satellite picture looks much
better on my old, analog tube tv than on my new, digital rptv. The
consensus seems to be that the quality my panasonic rptv displays has to do
with its internal processing of the sd signal. Apparently some tvs/brands
do a much better job at this than others. My father-in-law's sony rptv has
a great sd picture. If I had it to do over again (and had more money) I
would make sure I could go to a store that had the tvs I was interested in
hooked up to a sd source so I could compare them in that format side by
side. Good luck! Allison

"Tim Gray" <timgray@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Subject to actually seeing one in the fall, I've kind of settled on a
> Samsung DLP HLP4674W HDTV.
>
> In browsing the various newsgroups, the only shortcoming I can see
> (HDTV in general) is the quality of the SDTV viewing. Comments range
> from "garbage in garbage out" to "it depends". The latter makes more
> sense to me since GIGO would/should apply to the Sony 27" WEGA I have
> now. I'm wondering if the SDTV issues are ameliorated by a digital
> SDTV signal - or on what other "it depends" factors does "it" depend.
> I live in Toronto Ontario and have a good selection of digital
> channels through Rogers. But my viewing is still likely to be around
> 50% SDTV based on today's content and I'm not sure I want to take much
> of a quality hit for 50% of my viewing.
July 20, 2004 4:01:33 AM

What the hell are you calling SDTV?

"Regular" NTSC signals? That's not SDTV...that's analog NTSC tv.
SDTV is a term applied ONLY to DIGITAL 480i or 480P signals. And NO, 480P
digital signals are NOT EDTV!! That's a Fox marketing term to cover their
inability to broadcast true high definition signals. (so far)

So please, get the terminology right so you'll get answers that are right.

!