Problems with FPS in games.

Cgin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and I have been having trouble with my fps in some games. I have a 2.8 Soyo dragon motherboard with 2GB ram, and yet still im experiencing low fps. I thought it might have something to do with not enough RAM or maybe my processing speed. Please help.

-Cgin

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The majority of your FPS is going to be reliant on your video card, and then the CPU. Can you list your complete system specifications including your video card spex.

Cgin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I wish I knew the complete specs of my computer.. but I can tell you that I have a ATI Radeon x1600 512mb video card.
Could it be that my video card is breaking or overheating?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I would suggest you do some forum surfing and find results of other users with that same card. Compare your results to them and see if you card is performing as it should. If it is, then you will need to upgrade the card to see much improvement.

You can use CPU-Z (Google it) to identify many of the spex in your rig.

Cgin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I play WoW, F.E.A.R., CS, Half-life.. etc im runnin 1024x768

I was also wondering if I would be able to fit more RAM.. but I cant find out since I dont know what my motherboard reads.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I play WoW, F.E.A.R., CS, Half-life.. etc im runnin 1024x768

I was also wondering if I would be able to fit more RAM.. but I cant find out since I dont know what my motherboard reads.

It's not surprising that you get low fps with FEAR at 1024x768 with a x1600 card.

As previously said, compare your fps with published benchmarks. Go to Tom's VGA charts and compare.

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I would suggest you do some forum surfing and find results of other users with that same card. Compare your results to them and see if you card is performing as it should. If it is, then you will need to upgrade the card to see much improvement.

You can use CPU-Z (Google it) to identify many of the spex in your rig.

Do what this guy said ^^ Then post the specs you get from it so we can better help you tell you what you need to upgrade