Sign in with
Your question

New build issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2007 4:56:52 PM

:?: Still having same probs.Put together new system with following specs:
E6600 C2D,Intel DG965WH,4 x512MB KVR800D2N5K2/1G (2 x 1G Kit)
PNY 7950GT 512MB,Seasonic S12 550W PS.WD 250 GB SATA KS
WIN XPP SP2

Problem - Installed game to test out (C&C Generals)game froze,now system does not post,just cycles on and off,anyone ever have similar issues?Any help greatly appreciated.

More about : build issues

February 13, 2007 5:21:29 PM

This belongs in the first thread you started.
February 13, 2007 5:55:44 PM

Quote:
Intel board....YUK!

You need to give more details about your problems. How long did the computer run without problems? Was it only after the game was installed? What happens when you start the pc? Do you get beeps? Are you getting a monitor signal? Did you attempt to overclock the cpu? If so what exactly are your settings? Have you cleared cmos?

Were not mindreaders ynow, no one can help you with the info you have given.

Giving us the model number of some memory, does not tell us the speed or latency of the memory.

:!: No beeps,and yes it started after about 3 minutes of gameplay(right after install of game),also no monitor signal.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2007 6:39:28 PM

Well start with the basics, like MrsBytch said try clearing your BIOS. If that doesn't get any results, it's time to disconnect everything that's not needed to POST. That means all drives should be disconnected from motherboard and power, any add-in cards should be removed (leave display adapter, it's needed to POST). So at this point you should have power connected to motherboard, your graphics card will be in the PCI-E slot with the PCI-E power connector plugged in, and the RAM will be in the DIMM slots. This is the bare minimum you'll need to POST. If this doesn't work, try removing one stick of RAM, if that doesn't work remove the other stick (replacing the first), if that doesn't work try other DIMM sockets (with one stick).

If none of this gets you anywhere, and it's power cycling it could be anything, but if you have another PSU, that's where I would start. If you have access to another video adapter, give that a try. I have seen many people on the Forumz advocating the need for PC builders to have a PCI graphics adapter for these types of occasions, and I can see the point. They are a cheap diagnositic tool, if a motherboard is stumbling on initializing a PCI-E card, it will almost always work with a plain PCI graphics card.

Do you know what nominal Vdimm is for the RAM you have? I know initially P965 boards had problems booting higher voltage RAM such as OCZ, which required it to be boot with generic (lower voltage DIMMS) and have Vdimm adjusted. I think BIOS updates have since fixed this issue. It shouldn't be your problem as your system was working up until this point. Just something to keep in mind.

Hopefully something here will get your system POST'ing.

One last thing I just thought of and have been hearing more of. Make sure your HSF hasn't come loose. The power cycling could be because the CPU overheats and shuts your system down to protect itself from overheating. This includes making sure the fan on the heatsink is plugged in and starts to spin when you attempt to power up your computer. The fan not turning is less likely to cause a non-POST'ing system because the CPU will not overheat before the system has a chance to POST (it usually fails sometime after the POST).
February 13, 2007 7:21:50 PM

Quote:
Well start with the basics, like MrsBytch said try clearing your BIOS. If that doesn't get any results, it's time to disconnect everything that's not needed to POST. That means all drives should be disconnected from motherboard and power, any add-in cards should be removed (leave display adapter, it's needed to POST). So at this point you should have power connected to motherboard, your graphics card will be in the PCI-E slot with the PCI-E power connector plugged in, and the RAM will be in the DIMM slots. This is the bare minimum you'll need to POST. If this doesn't work, try removing one stick of RAM, if that doesn't work remove the other stick (replacing the first), if that doesn't work try other DIMM sockets (with one stick).

If none of this gets you anywhere, and it's power cycling it could be anything, but if you have another PSU, that's where I would start. If you have access to another video adapter, give that a try. I have seen many people on the Forumz advocating the need for PC builders to have a PCI graphics adapter for these types of occasions, and I can see the point. They are a cheap diagnositic tool, if a motherboard is stumbling on initializing a PCI-E card, it will almost always work with a plain PCI graphics card.

Do you know what nominal Vdimm is for the RAM you have? I know initially P965 boards had problems booting higher voltage RAM such as OCZ, which required it to be boot with generic (lower voltage DIMMS) and have Vdimm adjusted. I think BIOS updates have since fixed this issue. It shouldn't be your problem as your system was working up until this point. Just something to keep in mind.

Hopefully something here will get your system POST'ing.

One last thing I just thought of and have been hearing more of. Make sure your HSF hasn't come loose. The power cycling could be because the CPU overheats and shuts your system down to protect itself from overheating. This includes making sure the fan on the heatsink is plugged in and starts to spin when you attempt to power up your computer. The fan not turning is less likely to cause a non-POST'ing system because the CPU will not overheat before the system has a chance to POST (it usually fails sometime after the POST).

:roll: Well so far - removed 2nd bank of DIMMs,running with 1GB(2 x512MB)system on for about 1 hour,played game to test,now will shut off,remove 1st bank of DIMMs,put 1st bank in 2nd set of slots(I would rather have bum RAM than board)if it all still operates,then I will repeat this with 2nd RAM kit and see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2007 3:48:13 AM

Well at least you have your system POST'ing, it's much easier to troubleshoot a system that POST's. If you think it could be RAM, try running Memtest found HERE. Of course if you can't get your system to POST with the one set of RAM, one of the DIMM's in that set is bad. Am I to take it that you are running 4 DIMM's (two dual channel sets)? This can cause some problems. You could see if you have an option in the BIOS to set your Command Rate (under memory settings) to 2T. Some systems won't run 1T with 4 DIMMS. Also if you are running 2 dual channel sets, are they identical?

Either way you look to be on the path to recovery.
February 14, 2007 3:24:14 PM

Quote:
Well at least you have your system POST'ing, it's much easier to troubleshoot a system that POST's. If you think it could be RAM, try running Memtest found HERE. Of course if you can't get your system to POST with the one set of RAM, one of the DIMM's in that set is bad. Am I to take it that you are running 4 DIMM's (two dual channel sets)? This can cause some problems. You could see if you have an option in the BIOS to set your Command Rate (under memory settings) to 2T. Some systems won't run 1T with 4 DIMMS. Also if you are running 2 dual channel sets, are they identical?

Either way you look to be on the path to recovery.

:?: I,m running 4 DIMMs(2 x dual channel kits),when I have only one set in everything is fine,but when I install both problems begin - like - no post monitor stays in standby(yellow lite)and system shuts on and off .And yes both dual channel sets are identical.
!