External R600 for Laptops, WOOHOO !!!

Heheh. Haven't seen you that excited in a while.

Yeah, well to me it's like finding the AsRock SATAII Mobo type sollution for a Desktop, perfect fit for my needs.

I'm happy for you Ape! :)

Thanks man, of course this means I can now "NOT play" Oblivion at 19x14/12 with HDR+AA instead of 12x8 with no AA. :mrgreen:

you and your bloody laptops. come back to the light of desktops man.

Can't, once you go Lap you never go back.
told the GF that, and got slapped. :twisted:

still, i am not too sure about external gfx cards. if they can pull it off fine but it will depend on how much they cost compared to performance.

Yeah I don't expect it to be cheap, but hopefully only about a 50% premium. $500-600CAD for an External X2800XL would be reasonable to me, especially if it had all the features, like HDCP Dual-Link, VI/VO, etc. I would have to spend about that much just to add an MRX2800 to a laptop anyways. Then I could focus on the ergonmics and features of the laptop I use most (especially when on long flights or train trips, etc.).

Currently the only laptops with good graphics have crap heat and power features, some using F'in Dezktop chips!

I might go dual computer anyways because of Vista, the only thing is it's the new Laptop features of Vista I want most, so the DX10 card would be best there too. Arggh!

You're one happy Ape now. :wink:

Yeah, heck if I could get it right NOW, I would be able to buy an OEM Merom T7200, swap out my PM1.73, Exchange HDD for 5400 RPM perp SATA 200GB, and then Swap out the Optical drive to get a BluRay (want BR for storage) , and then Add the Xbox external HD-DVD, and I'd almost have the exact laptop I want. The only thing missing would be an LCD upgrade for full HD playback/editing.

PUURRRR-FECT! 8)

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Can't, once you go Lap you never go back.
told the GF that, and got slapped. :twisted:
that is so true i just left, my desktop for a laptop,and im happy plus i do go around alot and its nice having your laptop with you :)
cool idea, but! will all this external crap is being a small desktop with cords haha

I read somewhere that pci-e2.0 or whatever is going to be available in laptops and will have it to where the external video cards will not take the performance hit that they do now. Not sure where I read this though >.<

Well technically the internal MOBO can have PCIe2.0 easily, it's the external portion that was problematic. With the new External 1.0 spec, now we can have 16X lanes, so therefore there wouldn't be any performance hit as long as latency wasn't a major factor of influence.

ran my games well enough although it wasn't a laptop more a desktop replacement, or at least in terms of power and heat

Yeah and that's my problem. Sure I've used PCs since the beginning (before they were called PCs) but I've also used Laptops and transportables since the early Luggable days, and my old PS2/Note really ruined me for the whole, HOT DAMN I can work and play games on the way to/from work! AWESOME! It was funny having a laptop when most people didn't even have a comparable desktop.

I have had the desktop replacement in the DELL 5150 (although the FXGO5200 SUCKED, but the MR9600 was $1,000+ more!) and I hated it, heavy, hot, chews batteries.
That's why I want an efficient 17" but with the option of external add-ons so I can have the best of both worlds, efficient and compact when I'm travelling, and then equipped qhen I'm pluged in at home. Speaking of which...

but! will all this external crap is being a small desktop with cords haha

Yeah, but that's why I like docking stations and port-replicators, very VERY handy for this. And while I have one for the old Thinkpad series (3 generations worth worked with it), buying one for the ever changing new ones made no sense. If I find just the right solution now I will buy a dedicated one instead of the Targus one I now use. I have 3 external HDDs hooked up to it (one NAS and one on the Router as a NAS), external Rollerball, External monitor hook-up, external TV tuner, 2 Printers, Scanner, etc. Being able to plug 1 thing in to connect to all of them, priceless! 8)

I get all the advantages and about the same level of hassle as initially hooking them up to my desktop. Heck hassle wise it's likely less because a Desktop I'd be tempted to get a Raptor to put in and monkey with and not the ease (but added expense) of a MyBook Pro 250GB.

I don't mind the expense I just hate the slow downs and barriers (hence the MyBook Pro w/ Firewire [need a fireWire800 port for my next Laptop]). Giving me these features is very nice I don't mind how convolluted my setup looks like at home (could be part of the hive) as long as when I need to, it's slim and portable and almost as functional.

pauldh

Illustrious
There ya go; very nice. That's interesting stuff.

Hey, OT but I'm tempted to pick this laptop up tomorrow. It won't game, but not bad specs for $500 no rebates. Shoot, cheap way to fart around with Vista too. And considering my current laptop is a PIII 600MHz running Win ME :oops: , this is a big upgrade. In store only, so it will depend how bad the blizzard is as to whether I go to the store or not.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
but! will all this external crap is being a small desktop with cords haha

Yeah, but that's why I like docking stations and port-replicators, very VERY handy for this. And while I have one for the old Thinkpad series (3 generations worth worked with it), buying one for the ever changing new ones made no sense. If I find just the right solution now I will buy a dedicated one instead of the Targus one I now use. I have 3 external HDDs hooked up to it (one NAS and one on the Router as a NAS), external Rollerball, External monitor hook-up, external TV tuner, 2 Printers, Scanner, etc. Being able to plug 1 thing in to connect to all of them, priceless! 8)

I get all the advantages and about the same level of hassle as initially hooking them up to my desktop. Heck hassle wise it's likely less because a Desktop I'd be tempted to get a Raptor to put in and monkey with and not the ease (but added expense) of a MyBook Pro 250GB.

I don't mind the expense I just hate the slow downs and barriers (hence the MyBook Pro w/ Firewire [need a fireWire800 port for my next Laptop]). Giving me these features is very nice I don't mind how convolluted my setup looks like at home (could be part of the hive) as long as when I need to, it's slim and portable and almost as functional.

Sounds like a lot of stuff, i plan on getting an Extra monitor and maybe later on a 250GB WD external :)

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah it does stink; I would have bought it had I got to the store. As it was yesterday was an icy mess around here. Roads were horrible most of the day. I got back around 8:00PM and still needed to shovel out my place. To be honest, I can live without it. I wanted it bad for the price/bargain.

I guess what makes me content is knowing that one wouldn't game. I'd really like a laptop capable of some decent gaming(like an x1650 pro or better), just don't want to spend $1000+ on one. But I'll be asking you for advice come that time as I tend to ignore staying current on the mobile end. But an extrnal card capable of being swapped from desktop to laptop...that has me smiling just thinking about it. It would be the ultimate for me to have integrated/low end graphics for daily use on a laptop but be able to hook up/swap and external powerhouse to it for gaming. Hope it pans out.

Yeah exactly my thinking, heck I think my current X700 (or even an X1400) would be fine for day to day Vista crap (that would be the min need eventually), while the external would give me access to title like Crysis etc at a good speed (hey gotta have 200fps to play against you Cleeve and GW. :twisted:

Have you thought of going to office Despot and asking them if they will continue the sale due to the extreme weather?

Hey your link now say 'THRU FEB 17".

There's still hope. 8)