Sign in with
Your question

Network conections

Last response: in Networking
October 21, 2006 5:29:59 PM

I am looking to do some work at home. How can I connect to my server from my desktop at home. Home I have a DSL. Work is a partial T1. The server is a MS2003 and Home has XP Pro. What is the most efficent, easy and secure way of doing this and how? I know .... good luck (easy, efficient and secure don't ever seem to go hand in hand) But I really could use some help here. The office server doesn't have a firewall .... provided by the IP provider or router .... also by the IP provider. I use a Eithernet connection into a 10/1000 Foundary Switch and then into the server.

More about : network conections

October 21, 2006 9:11:59 PM

I would use a VPN router since you have 2 devices (pc & Server) to connect to. Something like Netgear VPN FVS338. It comes with 1 copy of their clinet software which makes it a lot easier to setup, pc to router connection. As long as you have a good uplink speed it is workable.
October 23, 2006 9:38:09 PM

wait wait, you want to connect from home to your server?

if it's a 2003 server, you already have VPN capabilities built into it from the routing and remote access mmc, but it's sorta different, as you'll need to use a public IP to VPN into the server, then you have use remote desktop connection to enter the station's private ip (internal) to see your desktop and login

i know you say there is not firewall at work, but you need to obtain a public domain name or ip address to do this, on your router, you also have to setup a VPN passthrough rule so you can hit the server using PPTP protocol (L2TP is sorta advanced for this purpose)

but it's possible, or like he said, get a router with VPN capabilities, or maybe your current router already has those features?
October 24, 2006 4:49:43 AM

Help .... It sounds like I have the solution (meaning I don't have to buy anything else) ... But how do I go about finding out how to do this. Sorry not much a remote user.
!