startmenu too wide

March 2, 2005 12:16:48 AM

Hi.

I have so many programs installed on my computer (home xp), that when
I access the start menu (which is classic style, not web style), it is
wider than the screen. Is there anyway to customize it so I can keep
the classic appearance, but it scrolls in a single column instead of 5
or six columns wide (wider than my screen)?

Thanks

More about : startmenu wide

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:16:49 AM

Method one: Use a scrolling all programs menu. Right click on the Start
button and choose Properties>Start Menu Tab>Customize>Advanced Tab and under
Start Menu Items scroll down almost to the bottom and check Scroll
Programs-Off. ('Scroll Programs-Off' is the current status so after you
check the box and OK out, when you go back to that box it will say Scroll
Programs-On.)

The second method is to create folders on the All Programs menu.

The third is to increase resolution.

"Jeff Kish" <kishjjrjj@provide.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have so many programs installed on my computer (home xp), that when
> I access the start menu (which is classic style, not web style), it is
> wider than the screen. Is there anyway to customize it so I can keep
> the classic appearance, but it scrolls in a single column instead of 5
> or six columns wide (wider than my screen)?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:16:50 AM

They are just shortcuts. If you right click on one of them and choose
delete you will get a warning that you are deleting a short cut does not
delete the program. If you right click on one of them and choose Properties
you will see in Location on the General Tab the path being called to run the
program. Moving the shortcut does not change this path, so the shortcut
remains mapped to the program location regardless of where you put the
shortcut.

You would do the reorganizing in the Programs folder if you chose to do
that. I never have because I prefer to leave programs in the default
installation locations for upgrade reasons later.

!