startmenu too wide

Hi.

I have so many programs installed on my computer (home xp), that when
I access the start menu (which is classic style, not web style), it is
wider than the screen. Is there anyway to customize it so I can keep
the classic appearance, but it scrolls in a single column instead of 5
or six columns wide (wider than my screen)?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about startmenu wide

    Method one: Use a scrolling all programs menu. Right click on the Start
    button and choose Properties>Start Menu Tab>Customize>Advanced Tab and under
    Start Menu Items scroll down almost to the bottom and check Scroll
    Programs-Off. ('Scroll Programs-Off' is the current status so after you
    check the box and OK out, when you go back to that box it will say Scroll
    Programs-On.)

    The second method is to create folders on the All Programs menu.

    The third is to increase resolution.

    "Jeff Kish" <kishjjrjj@provide.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have so many programs installed on my computer (home xp), that when
    > I access the start menu (which is classic style, not web style), it is
    > wider than the screen. Is there anyway to customize it so I can keep
    > the classic appearance, but it scrolls in a single column instead of 5
    > or six columns wide (wider than my screen)?
    >
    > Thanks

    They are just shortcuts. If you right click on one of them and choose
    delete you will get a warning that you are deleting a short cut does not
    delete the program. If you right click on one of them and choose Properties
    you will see in Location on the General Tab the path being called to run the
    program. Moving the shortcut does not change this path, so the shortcut
    remains mapped to the program location regardless of where you put the
    shortcut.

    You would do the reorganizing in the Programs folder if you chose to do
    that. I never have because I prefer to leave programs in the default
    installation locations for upgrade reasons later.

    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:31:53 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Method one: Use a scrolling all programs menu. Right click on the Start
    >>button and choose Properties>Start Menu Tab>Customize>Advanced Tab and
    >>under
    >>Start Menu Items scroll down almost to the bottom and check Scroll
    >>Programs-Off. ('Scroll Programs-Off' is the current status so after you
    >>check the box and OK out, when you go back to that box it will say Scroll
    >>Programs-On.)
    >>
    >>The second method is to create folders on the All Programs menu.
    >>
    >>The third is to increase resolution.
    > Oh thanks much.
    > That first method is what I was looking for.
    > I don't understand the second method though.. wouldn't that
    > entail a huge amount of work.. i.e. to create sub folders and
    > group entries one level deeper.. that would change where the programs
    > actually exist on disk, or are those just references to the programs
    > like shortcuts?

Style Classic Windows XP