Sync PocketPC 2003 device remotely

May 12, 2005 12:45:23 PM

We have Dell Axim PDA's running PocketPC 2003. We have a user that needs to
sync their PDA, with an existing PC on the office network, while they are on
the road. This PC is a desktop, so it is constantly logged on to the
network. AD server is a Windows SBS 2003, running Exchange 2003. Is this
possible? Thanks for your help!

JRD
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:50:23 PM

Hi

Yes it sure is possible, there are two ways...

You can have the device connect to the internet via a mobile phone, and then
dail a VPN connection to the office network. Let the PC be turned on and and
use activesync to remote activesync.

The best clean way is to activesync via https, thats supported by Exchange
2003. Syncronizing this way is fast and secure.

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

"Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:o $ISOjvVFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> We have Dell Axim PDA's running PocketPC 2003. We have a user that needs
> to sync their PDA, with an existing PC on the office network, while they
> are on the road. This PC is a desktop, so it is constantly logged on to
> the network. AD server is a Windows SBS 2003, running Exchange 2003. Is
> this possible? Thanks for your help!
>
> JRD

May 13, 2005 12:15:08 PM

Hi Allan, thanks for your response! The second option sounds like exactly
what we would want to do. Is there somewhere I can find the instructions for
setting that up?
Thank again for your help!

JRD

"Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Yes it sure is possible, there are two ways...
>
> You can have the device connect to the internet via a mobile phone, and
> then dail a VPN connection to the office network. Let the PC be turned on
> and and use activesync to remote activesync.
>
> The best clean way is to activesync via https, thats supported by Exchange
> 2003. Syncronizing this way is fast and secure.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Allan Boegild Pedersen
> www.pda-faq.com
>
> "Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:o $ISOjvVFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> We have Dell Axim PDA's running PocketPC 2003. We have a user that needs
>> to sync their PDA, with an existing PC on the office network, while they
>> are on the road. This PC is a desktop, so it is constantly logged on to
>> the network. AD server is a Windows SBS 2003, running Exchange 2003. Is
>> this possible? Thanks for your help!
>>
>> JRD

Related resources
May 13, 2005 4:44:00 PM

Here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/M...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2...

Also, as an FYI - Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 configures mobile
devices AUTOMATICALLY to connect to the Exchange Activesync and company VPN.
No end user configuration required!

--
Gavin
http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/

"Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> wrote in message
news:o 1Hm%2327VFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Allan, thanks for your response! The second option sounds like exactly
> what we would want to do. Is there somewhere I can find the instructions
> for setting that up?
> Thank again for your help!
>
> JRD
>

> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes it sure is possible, there are two ways...
>>
>> You can have the device connect to the internet via a mobile phone, and
>> then dail a VPN connection to the office network. Let the PC be turned on
>> and and use activesync to remote activesync.
>>
>> The best clean way is to activesync via https, thats supported by
>> Exchange 2003. Syncronizing this way is fast and secure.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>> www.pda-faq.com
>>
>> "Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> news:o $ISOjvVFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> We have Dell Axim PDA's running PocketPC 2003. We have a user that needs
>>> to sync their PDA, with an existing PC on the office network, while they
>>> are on the road. This PC is a desktop, so it is constantly logged on to
>>> the network. AD server is a Windows SBS 2003, running Exchange 2003. Is
>>> this possible? Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>> JRD

May 16, 2005 7:36:56 PM

Thanks Gavin!

JRD

"Gavin" <gavin@INTERPROM.COM.> wrote in message
> Here you go:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/M...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2...
>
> Also, as an FYI - Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 configures mobile
> devices AUTOMATICALLY to connect to the Exchange Activesync and company
> VPN. No end user configuration required!
>
> --
> Gavin
> http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/
> http://sbscanada.blogspot.com
>

> "Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1Hm%2327VFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Allan, thanks for your response! The second option sounds like exactly
>> what we would want to do. Is there somewhere I can find the instructions
>> for setting that up?
>> Thank again for your help!
>>
>> JRD
>>

>> "Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethismail.dk> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Yes it sure is possible, there are two ways...
>>>
>>> You can have the device connect to the internet via a mobile phone, and
>>> then dail a VPN connection to the office network. Let the PC be turned
>>> on and and use activesync to remote activesync.
>>>
>>> The best clean way is to activesync via https, thats supported by
>>> Exchange 2003. Syncronizing this way is fast and secure.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Allan Boegild Pedersen
>>> www.pda-faq.com
>>>
>>> "Joe" <!!joe@integratedelectronics!!.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>>> news:o $ISOjvVFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

May 16, 2005 8:49:19 PM

Any time! We're all here to help each other out!

--
Gavin

!