Another HDTV Newbie With Questions

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 20, 2004 5:39:57 PM

Just ordered a Sony KV34XBR960 TV.Delivery will occur
in a couple of weeks.

Our local cable system has almost no HD programming.
Discovery HD and ESPN HD is about it.

I'm curious about over the air reception.I'll have
an HD box (from Charter cable) as well as an HD
tuner built in to the set.

Given that I want NFL football,how does over the air
reception work? What antenna do you need if you live
within 10,20,30 miles of the tower? I've read that with
HD overt the air,you either get a perfect picture or no
picture at all.Is this true?

And lastly,is Consumer Reports' review of the KV34XBR910
as being an outstanding set accurate in the opinion of
folks in this newgroup?

TIA!

More about : hdtv newbie questions

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 6:39:29 PM

Frank Lodge wrote:
> Just ordered a Sony KV34XBR960 TV.Delivery will occur
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Our local cable system has almost no HD programming.
> Discovery HD and ESPN HD is about it.
>
> I'm curious about over the air reception.I'll have
> an HD box (from Charter cable) as well as an HD
> tuner built in to the set.
>
> Given that I want NFL football,how does over the air
> reception work? What antenna do you need if you live
> within 10,20,30 miles of the tower? I've read that with
> HD overt the air,you either get a perfect picture or no
> picture at all.Is this true?
>
> And lastly,is Consumer Reports' review of the KV34XBR910
> as being an outstanding set accurate in the opinion of
> folks in this newgroup?
>
> TIA!

Go to www.antennaweb.org for details about your area and recommended
antenna types. As long as you are in an area that can receive OTA
broadcasts, your local stations broadcast in HD, your TV has a built-in
HD tuner, and you get the appropriate antenna, you should be good to go.

--
David G.
Anonymous

Not true. You can also get in between with a lot of drop outs. Good
picture one second and no picture another and a lot of big square
pixels popping up all over the screen when the TV tries to recovered
from the lost signal.

Frank Lodge <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message news:<10fqm7sllq2lm30@corp.supernews.com>...
> I've read that with
> HD overt the air,you either get a perfect picture or no
> picture at all.Is this true?
July 20, 2004 7:56:59 PM

"David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message news:<YKWdnTiPret_-2Dd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> Frank Lodge wrote:
> > Just ordered a Sony KV34XBR960 TV.Delivery will occur
> > in a couple of weeks.
> > And lastly,is Consumer Reports' review of the KV34XBR910
> > as being an outstanding set accurate in the opinion of
> > folks in this newgroup?

I read the reviews on the circuit city web site for the Sony
KV34HS510, which is the predecessor of the XBR960. A few of the
reviewers bought the XBR and returned it for the HS510. I saw the 2
side-by-side in the store and I thought the picture on the HS510 was a
little sharper and clearer. Also, the HS510 is on clearance and I got
it for half the price of the XBR. So if it's not too late, try to
find the HS510 at the clearance price and return the XBR. Go to the
CC web site and read the reviews on it.

Regards,

Eddie G
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:15:30 PM

Frank Lodge wrote:

> Just ordered a Sony KV34XBR960 TV.Delivery will occur
> in a couple of weeks.

A very nice Top of the Sony Line HD purchase.....

> Our local cable system has almost no HD programming.
> Discovery HD and ESPN HD is about it.
>
> I'm curious about over the air reception.I'll have
> an HD box (from Charter cable) as well as an HD
> tuner built in to the set.
>
> Given that I want NFL football,how does over the air
> reception work? What antenna do you need if you live
> within 10,20,30 miles of the tower?

Try http://www.antennaweb.org and enter your
9 number ZIP Code...
Try to focus on the Digital Channels & their aim direction.

Channels 13 thru 59 are UHF and the common location for HDTV.

UHF Antennas are of the Yagi & 4 bay bow tie style...
Consider looking at Channel Master antennas as a start..
No Terks..... Over priced..... etc...

Consider using RG-6 double shielded antenna cable

I've read that with
> HD overt the air,you either get a perfect picture or no
> picture at all.Is this true?

Depending on signal strength: You can get.. Perfect Picture,
Pixelation breakup, Picture 'lock-up', no
picture or a white screen....

> And lastly,is Consumer Reports' review of the KV34XBR910
> as being an outstanding set accurate in the opinion of
> folks in this newgroup?

I'm not up on Consumers Reports...

But a 960 is a 910 with 3 new features and a nice lower
price... Has HDMI, HD Tuner, TOS Digital audio out,
and just maybe a Cable Card slot too.....

Yes, I have read on AVSForm that some 960s may have a picture
alignment bug ... That should
be full correctable as most Sony CRTs are... And
some 960 fanatics are critical of every bent test pattern line....

The 960 is my choice for the future is my 34HS510 ever dies....

!