how to deny user download ?

Hello ..
I am running win2k server, IIS 5. to allow users through website access some
files on my harddrive. ( using file sharing script ) .
files are grouped in separate folders. but i like to assign premission to
folder so content can be displayed but user wont be able to download the
files .
to download , all user has to do , click on the link .. so far i managed to
deny user from browsing that specific directory ..but i can't seems to
figure how to set premission so they can see the files but not download.
any help would be appreciated.

thank
2 answers Last reply
More about deny user download

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:27:01 -0400, "Tony" <tonysar@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I am running win2k server, IIS 5. to allow users through website access some
    >files on my harddrive. ( using file sharing script ) .
    >files are grouped in separate folders. but i like to assign premission to
    >folder so content can be displayed but user wont be able to download the
    >files .

    Do you mean list the files in the folder but not view any files? If
    they can view files in a browser, they already have the file on thier
    system.

    Jeff

    >to download , all user has to do , click on the link .. so far i managed to
    >deny user from browsing that specific directory ..but i can't seems to
    >figure how to set premission so they can see the files but not download.
    >any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >thank

    Thanks Jeff for your reply.

    webpage is writin in ASP. using asp object to list folders and files in
    specific directory.
    there are some larg files in some of those directory.
    Webpage displayes them as hyperlink. which user can click on them and start
    the download.
    Now, all i want to do using NT premissions, is to allow users to see the
    files, but when they click on link , simply they wont be able to download
    anything.. i don't mind if page displays error as a result , but as long as
    they can't down anything.
    i tried many combination for everyone User ,, but non of settings deny the
    download.
    Thanks again for your help

    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:27:01 -0400, "Tony" <tonysar@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am running win2k server, IIS 5. to allow users through website access
    some
    > >files on my harddrive. ( using file sharing script ) .
    > >files are grouped in separate folders. but i like to assign premission to
    > >folder so content can be displayed but user wont be able to download the
    > >files .
    >
    > Do you mean list the files in the folder but not view any files? If
    > they can view files in a browser, they already have the file on thier
    > system.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > >to download , all user has to do , click on the link .. so far i managed
    > >deny user from browsing that specific directory ..but i can't seems to
    > >figure how to set premission so they can see the files but not download.
    > >any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >thank

Download Windows