how do i restrict a user?

i am using window 2000 and i am going on vacation and want
to create a user/guest login for my roommate to use while
i am gone with some very high restrictions.

i already have the user created with the guest group
setting. but i want to extend it to where all she sees on
her desktop when she logs in is the internet explorer icon.

basicly all i want to allow her is to be able to use the
internet w/o being able to see or do anything else on the
computer. is there a way to accomplish this?

thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about restrict user

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:15:47 -0700, "kim" <trinity-star@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >i am using window 2000 and i am going on vacation and want
    >to create a user/guest login for my roommate to use while
    >i am gone with some very high restrictions.
    >
    >i already have the user created with the guest group
    >setting. but i want to extend it to where all she sees on
    >her desktop when she logs in is the internet explorer icon.
    >
    >basicly all i want to allow her is to be able to use the
    >internet w/o being able to see or do anything else on the
    >computer. is there a way to accomplish this?

    User permissions. You'll need to work at it for strictly an IE-only
    setup, but it could be done through a combination of NTFS permissions
    and security policy settings. Do a Google for Kiosk Mode or the like.

    Jeff

    You would have to check your ntfs permissions for the root folder to make sure that
    users/everyone has no more than read/list execute/permissions in folder properties -
    security. Make sure administrators and system has full control. Go to the program
    files folder and for any applications that you do not want used, add the guest
    account with DENY permissions for full control. To remove desktop icons go to my
    documents and settings folder and for the desktop and start menus folders for both
    all users and default user delete all the contents after you back up the files to
    another directory that the user can not access such as in your my documents folder to
    restore later. You may have to enable hidden files to be seen to see all user folder.

    I also suggest you configure your Internet Explorer Web Content Zone to be at least
    medium and then open Local Security Policy via gpedit.msc and go to user
    configuration/administrative templates/Windows Components/Internet Explore/browser
    menus and enable "tools menu:disable internet options". This will keep a user from
    changing Internet Explores settings. You will need to disable that setting when you
    want to access that menu. --- Steve

    "kim" <trinity-star@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >i am using window 2000 and i am going on vacation and want
    > to create a user/guest login for my roommate to use while
    > i am gone with some very high restrictions.
    >
    > i already have the user created with the guest group
    > setting. but i want to extend it to where all she sees on
    > her desktop when she logs in is the internet explorer icon.
    >
    > basicly all i want to allow her is to be able to use the
    > internet w/o being able to see or do anything else on the
    > computer. is there a way to accomplish this?
    >
    > thanks.

Windows