Latest Security "Windows Update" & inaccessible_boot_devic..

Has anyone installed the 9/14/04 windows updates (MS04-027
& MS04-028) and then had a problem with restarting their
computer? Since I've installed these 2, I'm getting a
stop error...inaccessible_boot_device

Upon startup I press f8 and no matter what option I
choose, I always get the stop error...I'm unable to get
past this point.

I searched MS knowledge database; everything that comes up
fails to help with this situation.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You might try using Recovery Console to use the fixboot command. Recovery
Console is described in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;229716

Otherwise try the repair options. For the first repair option select fast
repair. It does not require a ERD floppy though it may ask you for one.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/recovery_erd.htm

The repair option after the EULA user agreement is an in place upgrade that
if it works will require you to first install the service pack and then all
critical updates to get your computer current again. It also requires the
product code for your install. In the future consider using an imaging
program like Ghost to backup your computer before installing updates. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

"Maureen Frank" <mfrank@webangeldesigns.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone installed the 9/14/04 windows updates (MS04-027
> & MS04-028) and then had a problem with restarting their
> computer? Since I've installed these 2, I'm getting a
> stop error...inaccessible_boot_device
>
> Upon startup I press f8 and no matter what option I
> choose, I always get the stop error...I'm unable to get
> past this point.
>
> I searched MS knowledge database; everything that comes up
> fails to help with this situation.
>
> Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

From the recovery console I was able to run fixboot and it
said it was successfully run; however I still had a stop
error.

I don't have an ERD floppy so the second option didn't
work because it did require the ERD floppy.

I went back to the recovery console and ran chkdsk /r.
This did the trick. I was able to reboot and bring up my
system. The irony was that when it came up I rec'd a
message that I was missing a security patch...the jpg GDI
which was the very patch that crashed my system.

Thanks for you help.

Maureen

Great that you got it to work and thanks for reporting back what worked. FYI fast
repair should work without the ERD disk, but it is more information that if you have
would make chance for success more likely. --- Steve