Sign in with
Your question

1950 agp DOA or not enough power???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2007 7:01:39 PM

I bought this card...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=sr...

with this power supply
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BR...

I install everything and it all turns on but I get no video out put I also donot have any beeps from my MB everything seems to be running fine I hear the HD starting to load up as well..

any advice?

More about : 1950 agp doa power

February 13, 2007 7:10:30 PM

What's the rest of your system like? That PSU has 18a on each 12V rail, which should be sufficient, unless you have a lot more hooked up to that PSU. Also, are you overclocking, CPU or GPU?
February 13, 2007 7:12:50 PM

my system is/has
amd 64 3700
GA-k8u-939
2 HDs
1 cd rom
1 dvd burner.
Related resources
February 13, 2007 7:14:46 PM

Are you overclocking? Do you have an fans or lights hooked up as well?
February 13, 2007 7:16:36 PM

I donot oc anything I do have 3 case fan installed.
I also have 4 sticks of ram in the system
February 13, 2007 7:20:01 PM

I'm not exactly sure, but you might be cutting it close as far as power is concerned. I would say it's a power issue, but wait and see what others say. Try disconnecting your fans and one of your ROM drives, and see if that helps any. If it does, you'll know it's a power issue.
February 13, 2007 7:28:36 PM

Also, another thing I just thought of: What kind of connection does it use to connect to the power supply? Two 4-pin molex connectors or a single 6-pin connector?
February 13, 2007 10:45:59 PM

I dont think power is the issue here. I run my sapphire x1950 pro with a 380 watt psu (just 22amp on the +12v rail).

I have a e6600, 2gigs ram(2 sticks), 1 hdd, 2 DVDRW, 5 fans (3 of which light up)

If anything I'd be the one cutting it close!

It seems like your card was DOA, but yeah, lets see what others think.
February 14, 2007 1:38:08 AM

I was thinking, if his card uses two 4-pin molex connectors to connect to the power supply, he needs to make sure he uses one 4-pin connector from each rail. He might have two from the same rail and that could be messing him up.
February 14, 2007 2:18:15 AM

Quote:
any advice?

don't buy from compUSA....
anyways.

It seems like the problem's the GPU.

edit(s): the product page for the GPU and PSU say they have a 6-pin connector.
February 14, 2007 2:18:35 AM

Quote:
I dont think power is the issue here. I run my sapphire x1950 pro with a 380 watt psu (just 22amp on the +12v rail).

I have a e6600, 2gigs ram(2 sticks), 1 hdd, 2 DVDRW, 5 fans (3 of which light up)

If I'm not way off base here, I believe the card he just purchased was an AGP card and I believe yours may be a PCI-e. Is it possible the AGP version may require more amps from the PSU directly?

On second thought, I just thought of something else entirely. You didn't by chance connect the +4 pin connector from the 20+4 pin adapter into the 4 pin 12V connector for the CPU? I only ask because if I hadn't read up on that, I would have done that when I bought my first new PSU in 5 years a year ago. (It was the psu I bought before my new Silencer...)
February 14, 2007 11:06:03 AM

Quote:

If I'm not way off base here, I believe the card he just purchased was an AGP card and I believe yours may be a PCI-e. Is it possible the AGP version may require more amps from the PSU directly?

On second thought, I just thought of something else entirely. You didn't by chance connect the +4 pin connector from the 20+4 pin adapter into the 4 pin 12V connector for the CPU? I only ask because if I hadn't read up on that, I would have done that when I bought my first new PSU in 5 years a year ago. (It was the psu I bought before my new Silencer...)

I got agp aswell (sapphire x1950 pro 512mb agp) :)  . I think he just posted that it was the slot (having 1.5V rather than 0.8V)
!