Sign in with
Your question

AMD to release 65nm GPUs in April

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2007 7:04:48 PM

Yes, you heard it right. According to everyone's favorite rag TheInq, AMD is planning to release R610 and R630 on the 65nm process. I kind of figured they would have to ush to get to 65nm because Fusion will REQUIRE at least 45nm to be effective in a laptop.

Too lazy to paste link.
February 13, 2007 7:19:54 PM

Low yields for AMD means astronomical prices for the masses. GG noobs.
February 13, 2007 7:31:23 PM

Aren't they already capacity-constrained on CPU's? Where would they be making these then?
Related resources
February 13, 2007 7:31:57 PM

G80 has been out for more than 3 months now and all we have from AMD-ATI are rumours, photos and benchmarks from mind-bogglingly obscure sites. They can't keep falling behind like this. On a brighter note, though, it looks like review samples will be sent out on the 14th. AMD is truly evil, messing with people's Valentine's Days :lol: 
"Honey, come to bed."
"Only if I can take this card with me. Oh wait, the static might damage it. Sorry babe, better luck next year."
February 13, 2007 7:40:49 PM

Quote:
Low yields for AMD means astronomical prices for the masses. GG noobs.

Sorry but UMC and TSMC manufacture Radeon, not AMD. I believe UMC had been ready for a couple of months now.
February 13, 2007 7:45:53 PM

Quote:
G80 has been out for more than 3 months now and all we have from AMD-ATI are rumours, photos and benchmarks from mind-bogglingly obscure sites. They can't keep falling behind like this. On a brighter note, though, it looks like review samples will be sent out on the 14th. AMD is truly evil, messing with people's Valentine's Days :lol: 
"Honey, come to bed."
"Only if I can take this card with me. Oh wait, the static might damage it. Sorry babe, better luck next year."

Why do all of you remark as if you are ahead of Intel wondering what AMD is doing?

I said late last year that depending on the other Fabs, there may be a 45nm GPU before 45nm CPU. nVidia is already ready for 65nm.

AMD has to get to 45nm quickly for Fusion. They may push UMC/TSMC.
Also, AMD just licensed their 3D tech for cell hones and handhelds so the money will be comign in rather nicely and wishing bad on AMD seems to affect the stockholders and partners more than AMD.
February 13, 2007 7:52:13 PM

Quote:
"Honey, come to bed."

There still isn't a direct X ten card available today. You can argue and tell me that G80 is a direct X 10 card, but with no driver to prove it, it is just a fast Direct X 9 card. Vista!?!
February 13, 2007 7:55:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, you heard it right. According to everyone's favorite rag TheInq, AMD is planning to release R610 and R630 on the 65nm process. I kind of figured they would have to ush to get to 65nm because Fusion will REQUIRE at least 45nm to be effective in a laptop.

Too lazy to paste link.

If thats true, its absolutely amazing news. Hopefully if they shink the GPUs they will shrink the pwoer demands a little as well. One would think so, but with the way GPUs have been going, who knows. In any event, it would explain the "quiet" from ATI the last few months.

Lets keep our fingers crossed
February 13, 2007 8:19:32 PM

Aren't the R610 and R630 lower end versions of the R600 GPU family? This could mirror the current K8 lineup - lower-clock budget processors on 65nm and highest bin processors remaining on 90nm (assuming R600 is at 90nm).

It seems that AMD is using 65nm only as a transition, perhaps never getting it to 90nm maturity levels before going fully to 45nm. If that is the case though, they won't nab both performance and performance-per-watt (I mean in decent volume, not by cherry-picking) until 45nm is mature.

As for Fusion, it's a concept that I'm sure could work regardless of the litho node. Of course a 45-nm Fusion could compete with current 90nm discrete performance, just as some IGPs today are competing with discretes of a few years back.
February 13, 2007 8:33:55 PM

Quote:
Aren't the R610 and R630 lower end versions of the R600 GPU family? This could mirror the current K8 lineup - lower-clock budget processors on 65nm and highest bin processors remaining on 90nm (assuming R600 is at 90nm).

It seems that AMD is using 65nm only as a transition, perhaps never getting it to 90nm maturity levels before going fully to 45nm. If that is the case though, they won't nab both performance and performance-per-watt (I mean in decent volume, not by cherry-picking) until 45nm is mature.

As for Fusion, it's a concept that I'm sure could work regardless of the litho node. Of course a 45-nm Fusion could compete with current 90nm discrete performance, just as some IGPs today are competing with discretes of a few years back.

Hard to say but I believe R600 is 80nm. Everything after 1950Pro(?) is 80nm. I doub that AMD will skip 65nm. It's just that they only have two fabs ( plus Chartered) so they have to stick with 65nm for at least 2 years.

I figured that they would start Fab 38 with 45nm but I read somewhere recently that the first Fab 38 chips will be 65nm.

I guess that means that Fab36 will not ramp to 100% with 65nm, but instead use about 25% for 45nm.

We'll see though. Its for certain that Opteron 90nm will be around til at least next year.
February 13, 2007 8:51:24 PM

Quote:
i know what you mean. everyone is saying ATI is late for the party but seeing as no other guests have arrived i fail to see why.

great quote.... Nvidia doesnt even have a working dx-10 card....so whats the rush

actually on my other forum...the jungle... we have a resident poster who is an engineer at nvidia.... he says the problem with the dx-10 driver is that dx-10 is 100% newer...the drivers had to be re-written from the ground up ..no just appended like before....and they just didn't have enough time to finish them

AMD....because they are releasing later...has the time .
February 13, 2007 9:14:31 PM

Vista ships with DX10 as did the RTM, wake up. There are no DX10 apps.
February 13, 2007 11:40:41 PM

If AMD has delayed the R600 series launch for this, it's worth it. The power savings alone would be worth it.
February 13, 2007 11:47:20 PM

Quote:
If AMD has delayed the R600 series launch for this, it's worth it. The power savings alone would be worth it.

It was also said that AMD wouldn't release without suitable volume. From what I hear, it's ready, but there aren't enough yet.
February 14, 2007 12:30:07 AM

Quote:
It was also said that AMD wouldn't release without suitable volume. From what I hear, it's ready, but there aren't enough yet.

So... they could have done a paper launch around now, but would prefer to let the customer purchase the product when they announce it...

Also, isn't april around the time they are releasing the x2800 (the r600), so if they are releasing the r610 and r630, are these just die shrinks of the r600 or are they releasing the mainstream/budget cards around the same time as the x2800? that'd be pretty good for poor ppl like me....
February 14, 2007 12:41:19 AM

Quote:

So... they could have done a paper launch around now, but would prefer to let the customer purchase the product when they announce it...

Also, isn't april around the time they are releasing the x2800 (the r600), so if they are releasing the r610 and r630, are these just die shrinks of the r600 or are they releasing the mainstream/budget cards around the same time as the x2800? that'd be pretty good for poor ppl like me....

From the latest news these aren't due until after May but, yes according to http://trackingamd.blogspot.com X2800 is due to launch on Mar 13.

It is probably just a shrink or it could have been designed for 65nm and only the lower clocks will get the 65nm treatment until later this year.
February 14, 2007 1:48:36 AM

Quote:
Hey Baron, could you go configure me a 65 nm 4800+ from a whitebox maker? I still haven't found any at the OEMs and newegg doesn't appear to be stocking the 4800+ brisbane core.

Where are the 65 nm CPUs, forget the GPUs.... :wink:

68% of AMDs shipments LEAVE THIS COUNTRY.
February 14, 2007 2:08:02 AM

Quote:
Hey Baron, could you go configure me a 65 nm 4800+ from a whitebox maker? I still haven't found any at the OEMs and newegg doesn't appear to be stocking the 4800+ brisbane core.

Interesting, ok... where is the other 32%.... besides, I thought 100% of them left Germany.

I'm sure they sell some in Germany, :p 
February 14, 2007 2:14:46 AM

Quote:

The days of falling behind are coming to a close soon enough;it wont save the stock prices from bottoming out in june/ july but it will turn the year around.

Hey, if you know that much about exactly where stock prices will go, you can get very rich very fast, and we'd expect you to have some ultra system, like with 3 30" monitors at least. If you do, I'd like to hear about it, cause I enjoy those kind of monster systems.
February 14, 2007 7:27:24 AM

Look at the release notes for the 100.59 Nvidia drivers, and quit being an AMD/ATI shill.
February 14, 2007 7:32:06 AM

As I figured,AMD will show its true colors by introducing the 65nm in april.Of course AMD has taken on a great deal with the aquisition of ATI,but I believe that over all it will pay off.ATI is known for its great on-board video and that alone will help AMD significantly.Add to that various other technologies that both AMD and ATI have been working on for the last year or so,and I think it will all pay off this year.I firmly believe that AMD will introduce a new architecture for their cpu's in the coming months.One that will give INTEL a run for their money.We must look at the big picture and not the here and now,cause that's where AMD will shine.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
February 14, 2007 7:59:21 AM

i just bought 500aud worth of amd shares at 14.60
February 14, 2007 8:27:10 AM

Quote:

You´re wrong about that. I can buy plenty of them. You´re just living in the wrong country. Europe is flooded with them right now. :wink:
February 14, 2007 8:28:27 AM

Quote:

Interesting, ok... where is the other 32%.... besides, I thought 100% of them left Germany.

That is indeed correct. :) 
February 14, 2007 8:48:47 AM

I heard AMD was planning a new fab in the Albany NY region. Anyone know when it'll be up and running, and what it'll be producing?
February 14, 2007 8:49:58 AM

Boy, I want to buy AMD stock right NOW!!!!
February 14, 2007 8:51:49 AM

i just decided it be agood time to buy amd stock hopefully it holds it value even for a little bit + its only 500aud so yer. im just hoping something good happens
February 14, 2007 8:58:25 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the wafers.
February 14, 2007 9:16:57 AM

how low do you expect it to go in say 1month time??? its lost almost 1aud in 5 days
February 14, 2007 9:44:20 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the wafers.

Sure thing. So, where do you buy your waffles?
February 14, 2007 10:08:02 AM

arent u guys missing something here, Fusion combines a CPU and GPU at the silicon level, to make it simpler, at the die level. If TSMC manufactures the Fusion GPU and AMD manufactures the CPU, how do u expect AMD to merge both the dies to make it one? ( unless u uys know of a tch that i dont know of), AMD is going to manufacture both the Fusion CPU and GPU.
February 14, 2007 10:10:51 AM

Quote:

For once we agree :wink: Thats not a bad way to go after all.

I think the delay was as baron points out ,for volume;and then to extend the microsoft sales boost from advertising.not sure if amd hit the 14's last month as i thought it may.

nope,look at that slope good for skiing down.Riding an option down on it would have been great these last couple weeks,you could have done a month riding it down.

Analyzing the amd trend is pretty complicated;They made quite a few face value errors last year,and its become a stigma;the market and bad stigmas are potentially bad stuff to deal with,and can become an albatross quickly.

The 65nm gpu is more than just a killer lowend card idea,its practice for the apu;Its awesome,definitely worth the wait on everything else.If it performs well it could redeem them from last years sins.and this terrible lag.

After i heard the news on that .and read about handheld chips it all fell in place;when barcelona comes out and all their new tech is bieng sold the new york fab will be instantly at max production(exaggerating).

licensing the apu is awesome,how much better for planning could you get?They will be working with a 3rd party who will pay them to give it its first run.Wow ! what a turnaround in planning.

On a serious footnote,its very strong news,and while the market may respond as in c2d days (very slowly) It will respond.Now we can think about 08 a little more clearly.

http://app.quotemedia.com/quotetools/popups/story.jsp
Raj was made a corporate fellow today.

The problem is that MS just hid $2B from Wall Street and their stock didn't tank like AMDs. AMD is the one company whose competitor directly affects their stock price.

It's as if Wall Street is saying

"Hey, we know they are a predatory monopoly but hey there's nothing we can do except screw your stockholders in your best year ever."
February 14, 2007 2:41:07 PM

Quote:

The days of falling behind are coming to a close soon enough;it wont save the stock prices from bottoming out in june/ july but it will turn the year around.

Hey, if you know that much about exactly where stock prices will go, you can get very rich very fast, and we'd expect you to have some ultra system, like with 3 30" monitors at least. If you do, I'd like to hear about it, cause I enjoy those kind of monster systems.

would you like to explain how a 600$ boutique card will save the bottom line in march?So where is the revenue going to come from?How many handheld device chips are going out?whats the revenue from licensing the apu tech?

Guess wed need products to make that happen right?And since we will not see much in the way of volume merchandise until april ,when the lower end cards come out,I dont see where the boom is,and I certainly dont see gfx as a sustainable stock boost.Do you think that card sales will remain strong for 5 months or better? enough to keep the bottom from showing?

Server contracts and oem sales are the only ones that offer that kind of stock support.You dont honestly think the enthusiasts can save amd from a 9 dollar low do you?

sarcasm aside if it hits 9 I will buy 200 shares ,and when it turns up it could hit the 20's by oct nov.maybe higher in dec, by dec ill have an extra 1800 or more.

EDIT;did i mistake your post for sarcasm,?If so I apologize for the tone. :wink:

There was a bit of sarcasm, but not meant to be unfriendly. It's just that really, not even the best traders or investors are suppose to really hit their predictions much, so they don't try to make them too exact, and usually they put in plenty of qualifiers that make it clear they are guesses about odds. You might say "I think the AMD stock price will go down some more, possibly even under $10, if no unexpected catalysts occur soon, and at the moment, it seems possible that coming products will lead to a recovery later." etc.

Myself, I think the market is more knowledgable than you imply, and since it often aims at 9 months (or so) out, AMD may be bottoming near here. But that's a guess!
February 14, 2007 2:52:41 PM

Quote:
arent u guys missing something here, Fusion combines a CPU and GPU at the silicon level, to make it simpler, at the die level. If TSMC manufactures the Fusion GPU and AMD manufactures the CPU, how do u expect AMD to merge both the dies to make it one? ( unless u uys know of a tch that i dont know of), AMD is going to manufacture both the Fusion CPU and GPU.

I would say it's obvious that they will make the whole thing for Fusion and leave IGP and standalne graphics to UMC/TSMC.
Fusion won't be a Radeon, but just a bunch of pixel pipes with a little logic that talks to the CPU.

I don't even think 1207 pins is enough so it probably won't be Socket S1 or Socket F.

Who knows though.
February 14, 2007 6:38:15 PM

You didn't hear the big Q1(?) story (MS uses fiscal year Jul-Jun) where they "neglected to mention" $2B in reseach money.

I'm looking for it, but I can't think of the right search term. Someone here has to have heard about that.
February 14, 2007 7:18:21 PM

Quote:
great quote.... Nvidia doesnt even have a working dx-10 card....so whats the rush

actually on my other forum...the jungle... we have a resident poster who is an engineer at nvidia.... he says the problem with the dx-10 driver is that dx-10 is 100% newer...the drivers had to be re-written from the ground up ..no just appended like before....and they just didn't have enough time to finish them

Quote:

* Adds support for GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
* Beta driver for NVIDIA SLI™ support for GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS GPUs
* This driver supports the following features:
o Single GPU support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
+ DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
o NVIDIA SLI support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
* DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver
* If you would like to be notified of upcoming drivers for Windows Vista, please subscribe to the newsletter
* Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, and known compatibility issues
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.64.html
February 14, 2007 7:31:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

* Adds support for GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
* Beta driver for NVIDIA SLI™ support for GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS GPUs
* This driver supports the following features:
o Single GPU support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
+ DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
o NVIDIA SLI support
+ DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
+ OpenGL support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
* DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver
* If you would like to be notified of upcoming drivers for Windows Vista, please subscribe to the newsletter
* Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, and known compatibility issues
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.64.html

Well, I may use it if they finally have the Horizontal Span enabled for multimon.
February 14, 2007 7:33:20 PM

The increase in PC sales should be good news for AMD as most of the big box retailers have AMD Dual Core machines under 1000 and all the Dual Core Intel machines 1000+ except for that Netbust junk at the bottom of the scale.
February 14, 2007 7:55:04 PM

Quote:
I dont believe the market any more knowlegdeable than it was during the k8 introduction.I think we simply have alot more geeks now who are teching their families computers and making suggestions.

So its more a word of mouth than knowledge.I will give it some evolutionary standing,but all things nconsidered it hasnt seen knowledgeable yet.AMD is gaining OEM market We cant credit OEM buyers with fanboyism can we?

MS hid 2bil? BARON? I missed that somewhere,do you have a link handy?

Intel amd microsoft and dell all gained today,AMD is right along the MSFT gain @40+cents and 50cents as a gain for the day.I wonder if this means consumer spending is up.?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/ Best buy is reporting strong vista sales pc's.

Yeah, interesting info there from best buy (and about WII also, which uses ATI/AMD graphics chip).

The move in AMD was around 11:30, and doesn't correspond to the moves in indexes, etfs, or the info from Best Buy. I think it's more about the fact the big institutional seller is finished selling, and so traders and investors are taking the opportunity to get in here.
February 14, 2007 7:55:39 PM

I guess I'm greedy I'd like to see AMD drop somewhere in the 12 range and intel go up a few to 24. Sell off my intel just in time to catch AMD on the upswing. please... crosses fingers
February 14, 2007 8:03:21 PM

Quote:
April brings a rash of sales

Don't forget about the back to school sales this upcoming fall! :twisted:
February 14, 2007 8:26:30 PM

Quote:
They really have taken on one hell of a workload and soon enough it will begin to pay off.

I hope that's true. I'm still a bit worried about their ability to deliver the goods. Competition is good so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
February 14, 2007 8:26:58 PM

Quote:
April brings a rash of sales

Don't forget about the back to school sales this upcoming fall! :twisted:

Theres a ptential here for vista to really effect everything.Last year we saw a lull in june and july and a slow progression up until oct/nov.Vista could alter that landscape,along with strong AMD news.

With oems and retailers repoting strong revenue on vista it could very well keep 12 away from AMD;I was hoping for 9-13;but then vista picked up today and We have had some very good news from AMD.I had my heart set on 9 but now i am really second guessing that.

If this is the real bottom;I really dont see how it could be;Then the year will end higher than I expected @low mid 20's.

So did you short sell amd stock?
February 14, 2007 8:30:07 PM

Quote:
The increase in PC sales should be good news for AMD as most of the big box retailers have AMD Dual Core machines under 1000 and all the Dual Core Intel machines 1000+ except for that Netbust junk at the bottom of the scale.

That netburst junk will do 8ghz if you know what you are doing :wink:
I wonder if this is the start of the trend up or its a false bottom before summer.Vista could bring sales up well enough,and keep it up until april,we could see a nice rebound in april tapering off till june/july.And then barcelona.

I underestimated the vista is pretty factor;And once the joneses have one everyone will.Barring skeptical enthusiasts.

I have been telling peole that I LOVE Vista. It is much better than XP SP2. Not just pretier but more "functional." it seems to use RAM better and it even fixed a problem with using my Wireless Logitech for games.

Not to mention the fact that EVERY new PC HAS TO have Vista. MS is right. Vista will probably eclipse XP in sales the first 12 months.
February 14, 2007 8:41:37 PM

Quote:

And an AMD junk will do 5GHz kicking Intel's netburts's ass to death at. 5Ghz only vs heatburtst at 8 GHz...what was the point of that comment?

You can't get any more fanboy than that. I mean defending netburst on the fact that someone managed to clock it to 8Ghz under "ultra mega extreme cooling conditions" isn't going to help any one other than offer an biased view of reality.
February 14, 2007 9:26:39 PM

Quote:

And an AMD junk will do 5GHz kicking Intel's netburts's ass to death at. 5Ghz only vs heatburtst at 8 GHz...what was the point of that comment?

You can't get any more fanboy than that. I mean defending netburst on the fact that someone managed to clock it to 8Ghz under "ultra mega extreme cooling conditions" isn't going to help any one other than offer an biased view of reality.

February 14, 2007 10:18:18 PM

Quote:

I am not -ing you, the 5 GHz oc thing could happen for AMD someday you know!
February 14, 2007 10:35:33 PM

Fine, but that extremme OC thing done by a bunch of enthusiasts is not relevant to show the real world potential of a CPU, it is very misleading especially when used as an argument in a performance/$ dispute, and especially when real life overclocking isn't brought into discussion for both sides.

Sorry about that post early on ...
February 15, 2007 12:39:43 AM

Quote:

I have been telling peole that I LOVE Vista. It is much better than XP SP2. Not just pretier but more "functional." it seems to use RAM better and it even fixed a problem with using my Wireless Logitech for games.

Not to mention the fact that EVERY new PC HAS TO have Vista. MS is right. Vista will probably eclipse XP in sales the first 12 months.

Two questions, how have you ascertained that it uses RAM 'better'... not that I doubt it does, but just curious about how you came to the conclusion.

Second question, what problem exactly did it fix?? I guess it must have sped up the IO swapping HT throughput into the single core NUMA design as it would be better optimized.

It allows you to have more programs running and still remain less disk dependent - meaning you don't hear the HDD as much.

Previously the Logitech driver had a horrible latency in games, when I put Vista on it actually defaulted the game to my wireless and deactivated the USB KB i had to use in XP.
February 15, 2007 12:59:29 AM

Quote:
Hey Baron, did you not say that you expect to see GPUs on 45 nm before CPUs?

Why don't they just skip 65 nm and go straight to 45 nm?

I didn't say EXPECT, I said it could happen depending on how easy the shrink would be. If you read the posts, I actually mentioned that in this thread. It could be possible that R700 (or even R600) could be designed for 65nm and if they want to get something for Fusion by the end of next year they have to get to 45nm quickly (though a 500mm^2 core wouldn't be the end of the world).

Also, nVidia is ready for 65nm (and have 80nm designs) as of a few months ago. It also wouldn't be inconceivable that Chartered could get to 45nm. They are already doing 65nm XBox360 and are scheduled to do Brisbane by Q2.
!