Access denied when trying to accede to shared resources

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi, i have a windows 2000 server, in a workgroup. a
Windows 2000 professional and xp pc access to this server,
but, a PC with Windows NT workstation cannot access to
this server using the same one username and password. The
error is : access denied. this error only happens in a
windows nt workstation

What happens?
How I solve it?

Thank you
1 answer Last reply
More about access denied accede shared resources
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    First make sure the password is correct as compared to the other computers for the
    account you use and make sure you can ping the server by both IP address and name
    from the NT computer to establish basic connectivity. The W2K computer must have
    netbios over tcp/ip enabled which it would by default and if it was disabled it would
    show by running Ipconfig /all and the nbtstat -n command would show no registered
    names. The NT workstation should also be using the latest service pack ideally and at
    least SP4. Also try to access the W2K share via unc instead of Network Places as in
    \\computername\sharename or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename from the NT computer in the
    run box to see if that works and if it does there is a problem with the browse list
    as shown in My Network Places. If still a no go I would suspect a problem with
    security policy on the W2K server that is not allowing access. In the W2K server open
    Local Security Policy and go to security settings/local policies/security options.
    Then review points 3,4,5,6, and 8 under security settings fro examples of
    compatibility problems. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823659

    "Andy" <andy_jara[arroba]hotmai.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, i have a windows 2000 server, in a workgroup. a
    > Windows 2000 professional and xp pc access to this server,
    > but, a PC with Windows NT workstation cannot access to
    > this server using the same one username and password. The
    > error is : access denied. this error only happens in a
    > windows nt workstation
    >
    > What happens?
    > How I solve it?
    >
    > Thank you