Access denied when trying to accede to shared resources

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 20, 2004 3:00:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi, i have a windows 2000 server, in a workgroup. a
Windows 2000 professional and xp pc access to this server,
but, a PC with Windows NT workstation cannot access to
this server using the same one username and password. The
error is : access denied. this error only happens in a
windows nt workstation

What happens?
How I solve it?

Thank you
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:26:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

First make sure the password is correct as compared to the other computers for the
account you use and make sure you can ping the server by both IP address and name
from the NT computer to establish basic connectivity. The W2K computer must have
netbios over tcp/ip enabled which it would by default and if it was disabled it would
show by running Ipconfig /all and the nbtstat -n command would show no registered
names. The NT workstation should also be using the latest service pack ideally and at
least SP4. Also try to access the W2K share via unc instead of Network Places as in
\\computername\sharename or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename from the NT computer in the
run box to see if that works and if it does there is a problem with the browse list
as shown in My Network Places. If still a no go I would suspect a problem with
security policy on the W2K server that is not allowing access. In the W2K server open
Local Security Policy and go to security settings/local policies/security options.
Then review points 3,4,5,6, and 8 under security settings fro examples of
compatibility problems. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823659

!