Anyone know how to force broadband?

ChiefoSupremo

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Hello,
I live in a fairly rural area, but cable is all around me. The cable connection is severed less than 1 mile away from my house, and after becoming accustomed to using broadband at college, I really need it at my house now. I need some kind of relatively high speed solution that has decent latency (not satellite)...I need the ability to play games as well.
Honestly, cost is not really an issue...but I would really prefer it if someone knew SOMEONE at Time Warner cable that could help me out here. One of my associates told me that he had a "survey" done by Time Warner and they then ran cable, but it is often hard to separate the wheat from the chaff with him.

Anyone have any suggestions? My grandma actually lives nearly exactly one mile from my house but there are some trees in the way so it is not line of sight...I've contemplated wireless from there but don't want to spend the ridiculous money on it.

Any suggestions would be particularly helpful. My e-mail is rjm3@alfred.edu if anyone wants to speak with me in depth.

Thank you,
Reg J Miller

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, try DSL or try wireless ISP's. by this I mean providers that have Wimax or Extended range 802.11 signalling. My Father-In-Law has this in the mountainous areas of California, see if anything similar is in your area. Depending on your cell coverage, you could look for Mobile Phone Data service, but you'd have to be crafty with a network to get it to work with a home service, as it's usually a laptop card type connector.