Set default domain name

Hi,

I have a file server that is not a DC. When user connect
to its shared folder from the PC that is not joined the
domain, they have to type (domain name)\(user name) to
access this shared folder. It is possible to get rid of
the domain name. User just need to enter the user name. I
use WIndows 2000 server.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

If they logon to their computer with the same logon/password that they use to access
it, they may access without a prompt. Otherwise they will need to enter the domain
name\username. They should be able to map a drive with alternate credentials that
would give them access without any prompt. That of course is only advised if only
users that should have access to that share logon to that computer. If you map a
drive with persistent credentials, the password will have to be changed for the
mapped drive when the domain password changes. Windows XP computers also allow users
to use "stored credentials" . --- Steve