L2TP and dial up connection

Hi
I've a question about L2TP protocol. If it possible to use L2TP protocol
with dial up connection. For example you configure vpn server to
use L2TP and clients dial in to the network form laptops. In some
sources there is written that you can use only PPTP.

Thanks

pc

You should have no problems using L2TP if the clients are dialling directly
out to the internet. Where you would have some trouble is if the clients
were connecting through a router providing NAT

There is a microsoft update though that should over come these problems is
they effect you. For details look here
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/39745/39745.html

"cub_s1" <cub_s1@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> Hi
> I've a question about L2TP protocol. If it possible to use L2TP protocol
> with dial up connection. For example you configure vpn server to
> use L2TP and clients dial in to the network form laptops. In some
> sources there is written that you can use only PPTP.
>
> Thanks

L2tp can work however it will not work if the VPN server is behind a NAT router
though there is a workaround if the VPN server is Windows 2003 in which case you can
install the NAT-T upgrade on the VPN clients. L2tp also requires a computer
certificate on the VPN server and the VPN client and both must chain to a trusted
Certificate Authority. --- Steve