Audio Production/Graphic Design

NUNCHUKS

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
i'm a fairly recent pc convert after using macs for a decade. i've immersed myself with information on various pc applications and general architecture of the platform but feel very limited when it comes to hardware. right now i have an old pentium 4 (845g chipset) which is in need of a major overhaul. i've done what i can with my limited knowledge to optimize my system and so far i don't have too much trouble working with audio and graphic progs. things are starting to feel a bit sluggish however and i need some suggestions on building a system that can balance graphic/web apps (photo shop, macromedia studio 8, etc.), audio production apps (cubase sx3, ableton go live 6, serato scratch live, etc.), and general office software. i have about a grand to spend and looking at different components on newegg, i realized that i'm in over my head. there seems to be so many different items that look/seem exactly the same yet the price differences are tremendous. i guess my questions are 1. what component deserves the biggest chunk of my money 2. suggestions on solid mobos that will not be outdated in a minute (i've decided on going with the core 2 duo 6300 after so much praise that i've been reading. so i've been looking at the compatible mobos for it. looking at the 680i sli but there are ones that are sooo much cheaper). 3. are there any brands/items that i should avoid. and 4. if you were in my shoes, how would you go about building this system? i know i've said a mouthful but HELP! i ain't going back to a mac. that bridge's been burned.

ps. i know that i probably don't need to upgrade drastically considering that my puny setup right now is doing pretty well but i want something that will enable me to upgrade in the future. it needs to be pretty solid so that in my learning-to-upgrade process, i won't efff up anything too badly.

TRENDING THREADS