SATA to IDE or actually IDE to SATA

cmangle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
If I upgrade to a motherboard that only has SATA HS interface how do I xfer data over from an older IDE (40 /80 pin cable) drive to the newer SATA drive.

I used to just swap hard drive onto new motherboard or at least install as slave and xfer data onto new hard drive !

Any thoughts

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Does your current motherboard have SATA ports? If it does, you can hook up your new drive to the old motherboard and transfer it that way.
Other than that, you could take the drives to a friends/coworkers house and use their computer.
You can buy adapters for SATA/IDE, but I think that you can do it without the adapter.

Best of Luck

bb1ood

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Or use a ide--->USB adapter and use your current harddrive as a removable storage device...Or, if you can pull it off, leave your current machine up and running on the network and do a massive file transfer across the network. I just move a couple hundred gigs this way...to a while but it worked.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
If I upgrade to a motherboard that only has SATA HS interface how do I xfer data over from an older IDE (40 /80 pin cable) drive to the newer SATA drive.

I used to just swap hard drive onto new motherboard or at least install as slave and xfer data onto new hard drive !

Any thoughts

What motherboard doesn't have PATA? I know 965 chipset dropped from 2 to 1, but there's still 1!

You could get a PCI adapter card to run your hard drives. I used them many moons ago and they worked pretty well. Sadly, I think I chucked them not long ago because I figured I'd have no use for them ever again.

try here

I'm using this to retire my internal IDE's to external back-up drives.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I'm with RJ on this I have never seen a motherboard without at least one PATA port although the new ones only have one. Other than that the other people pretty much covered all of the options.

use another computer to transfer the data either with both drives on the same computer or over a network

get a SATA to PATA adapter (the adapters go both ways)

IDE USB adapter

separate PATA controller

the cheapest would obviously be to just use another computer to copy the data. The SATA to PATA adapters would usually be about $10 cheaper than the IDE USB adapter but could be very useful for other things. The separate PATA controller would not be much different in price than the USB adapter for just a basic controller.