Boot Discs XP Pro .vs. Home Edition

I need to create a boot CD or disk for my XP Home PC so that I can update its
BIOS. If I create the boot disc on my XP Pro computer - will this be a
problem? Do I need to create the boot disk on another XP Home computer?
3 answers Last reply
More about boot discs home edition

    If you have downloaded a BIOS flash image, then just put a diskette in A:
    and run the program. It will write a boot disk which will boot the computer
    with a special DOS and perform the BIOS upgrade. XP won't even be loaded
    during this process. Be sure to allow the BIOS update program to create an
    emergency floppy when it asks if you want one. This will copy your present
    BIOS so that you can reinstall if something goes wrong. Be sure to write
    down your BIOS settings because a BIOS flash is going to reset the settings
    to a default configuration. If you are using SATA or SCSI drives you may
    have to adjust the defaults before your hard drive will boot into Windows.

    Unless you are experiencing a problem that the BIOS update addresses, do NOT
    update the BIOS.

    "Bentwood" <Bentwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to create a boot CD or disk for my XP Home PC so that I can update
    >its
    > BIOS. If I create the boot disc on my XP Pro computer - will this be a
    > problem? Do I need to create the boot disk on another XP Home computer?

    The boot disk you create on one version of XP will work on any system. It is
    just a very a simple DOS disk. Ensure that the BIOS is set to boot from the
    floppy drive before the hard drive and it should wok fine for your purpose.
    You are aware that updating or flashing a BIOS can have dire consequences if
    not done correctly right? Only update the BIOS if you really need to.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bentwood" <Bentwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need to create a boot CD or disk for my XP Home PC so that I can update
    its
    > BIOS. If I create the boot disc on my XP Pro computer - will this be a
    > problem? Do I need to create the boot disk on another XP Home computer?

    Hi, Bentwood.

    With a blank (or expendable) diskette in your floppy drive, in My Computer,
    right-click Drive A:, then choose Format... On the Format screen, check the
    bottom box, "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".

    This will format the diskette (FAT12) and put the MS-DOS system files on it.
    With your BIOS set to boot from the floppy, restart your computer. It
    should boot from the floppy into the barebones version of the Millennium
    version of MS-DOS. From there, take the steps required by your specific
    hardware and BIOS.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Bentwood" <Bentwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to create a boot CD or disk for my XP Home PC so that I can update
    >its
    > BIOS. If I create the boot disc on my XP Pro computer - will this be a
    > problem? Do I need to create the boot disk on another XP Home computer?

Computers Boot Windows XP